Labradors Forums banner

When will breeders start breeding again...

3K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  Deboragh 
#1 ·
Hello All,

I joined a few months ago after losing my fox red lab late last year. My intention was to wait until Easter after a week in the Canaries, which would mean him not having to go in to kennels this year.

But everything went mad,, with the Corona virus. At the start of the lockdown there were pups available, but legally in the UK we were only allowed to travel for essential reasons only. So as a family we stayed at home.

Now in England we can pretty much travel anywhere we want, but the main websites show a total lack of pups. Obviously who was going to breed at the beginning of lock down. Not knowing what the situation would be like in 3 - 4 months.

Obviously stud dogs haven't been able to meet with the bitch, for the same reasons.

Does anyone know of heard that breeders are starting well to breed again. Champdogs isn't showing anything.

I'm in Halifax, Yorkshire.

See less See more
#2 ·
DNA testing is no problem, but few vets will ex-ray for hip scoring, classing it an "Non emergency." There is a talk about limited eye testing being restarted within a couple of months. The eye test sessions I'm co-organiser of have set a date in October, but at the moment I certainly cannot guarantee it going ahead. So as you can see, health testing is virtually non existent at the moment.

Again as you say, social distancing makes mating difficult, adding to that comes the possible problem if veterinary assistance is needed at birth. So really, almost all responsible breeders are holding off breeding until we get back to a more normal situation, which I don't see happening this year.

Even supposing health testing can restart in October breeders will still be waiting for their bitch to come into season, which could well be 6 months or even more, then there is a two month gestation period before the pups will be born, then a further 8 week period before the pups can leave the dam. Personally I don't hold out much hope at least until this time next year before pups start to get around again.

#3 ·
That entirely depends on the breeder, not all breeders have litters every year. If you're on champdogs have a look at the stud dog section as well, as that's a good way to get your name on a litter from when a bitch owner uses a particular stud dog.

#4 ·
This is similar to what I've done. On losing Millie I recontacted the breeder. He has a stud dog having retired from breeding himself and put me in touch with breeders using his stud. I've been able to select my future pupster from health tested parents. I'd hoped to rescue again but covid has stopped all adoptions with no indication as to when they'll resume.

#5 ·
Thanks this a good idea.

In someways, I wish I had broken lockdown and risked the £60 fine and got a pup in the first few weeks, when breeders couldn't sell them.....

But I'm too much of a good boy and I followed the rules.

I've never been not had a dog for so long, I lost Charlies at the end of November. This was compounded by one of my children who was critically ill (suddenly) in February and a month in hospital and operation. Fortunately has now recovered.

#6 ·
Just a bit of an update.

After months of trying to find a puppy we finally succeeded. The little fella came via Champdogs and he came from Northern Ireland.

It was such a challenge and I wish I hadn't bothered with the other website, it was totally full of scams/frauds and even strange things like dogs that didn't exist. I would say out of 20 enquiries only 1 was a genuine dog.

Whereas with Champdogs, you pay and they pay. I like that.

He's a little bit bigger than the picture, that was on the 17th November and if you'd have asked a week ago, I would have said he's a pain in the bum.

But slowly, he's getting a lot better, with not chewing/biting and going to the back door. I also did the customary sleeping downstairs on the sofa with him for a couple of weeks. (He's now content to sleep in his crate).

Attachments

#11 ·
Champdogs is an online forum, which allows (and screens) advertising of litters. It is owned by Mark Roach, who I fell out with some years ago, so I personally never go there, though I know many people who do. They do do their best to only allow reputable breeders who health test, but like all things, the other sort do occasionally creep in undetected so it's a matter of people need to do their homework.

#17 ·
I got stalked by an Australian woman. Three times she got banned, and each time she was allowed to come back under a different name and start again. I'm afraid I told the owner what I thought of him for allowing it to happen repeatedly and his answer was to be careful how I spoke to him, I was not too big to be banned. I told him there was no need to ban me, I was off and would not be returning. Some months later I had an email from him suggesting I return using a different name. I never replied. Julie Burley, who used to own this site had already asked me to post here when she established it, so I moved here. :)

It's often easier to use the other route. If you see a male you like, contact the owner and ask who is booked to use him on their bitch, and research from there. Bitch owners often organise the dog they intent to use on their bitch months in advance, to make sure he is going to be available when needed.

#21 ·
The covid situation here in the UK is slowly improving. Over 15 million people have now been vaccinated, death rates are falling. We are still on lockdown, although it's beginning to look like schools will reopen next month. I'm organising a canine eye testing session in April, and we are just about sold out, but in all honesty I dont know if we will be allowed to hold it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.