Labradors Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bailey's big, don't get me wrong and very strong. But when Ive seen labs out and about he looks tiny in comparison.

He's obviously grown a lot but I don't see him growing rapidly as he has. He has just over the 'average for the breed' dry food but my breeder said she always feeds the maximum? Do you think I should feed him more?

He's 9 months now. Last weighed at 6 months and was 22 kilos. Is that about right? Doesn't seem to be getting taller although he's very thick set.

Any advice?

·
Registered
759 Posts
HI, they will go through some growing spurts.. i would not worry... feeding is also dependent on the food you use.. im in the states and there are many more alternatives, specifically grain free products, which by nature pups tend to feed less... your doning fine by my estimate as to weight.. my guess is baily is on schedule... good luck with him... we all worry so about our pups... they deserve it....
warm regards
bruce and elsa

G

·
I asked this question a while ago and apparently its like asking how long is a piece of string! :lol:

If it helps, Rueben was also 22 kilos at 6 months, (about 3 weeks ago) whether thats good or bad I really don't know! Will be watching this thread to find out though! :wink:

Anita & Rueben
xXx

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Basil was 22kg at 22weeks, so more or less 6mths. He then seemed to get to around 27kg at a year and stayed there until almost 2yrs when he had a final growth spurt and stayed steady at 30kg since.
He is not the biggest of males but probably an average size lab.

I really thought he was 'done' growth wise so was surprised by the last spurt :)

I'd think at 9mths you've got some way to go and there's no rush to get there by upping his food - that might just make him fatter rather than bigger :)

·
Registered
874 Posts
Jed was 2 in June and even this spring he seemed to grow more into himself - he's a working type and was 32 kg last time he was weighed and is now a little bigger than most of the labs we see regularly walking, although most of these are of smaller stature than some of the giants I have seen around here.

He definitely wasn't grown at 9 months!

It's quite a slow process and it's difficult to see it when you're with them every day.

I think the show types look more grown up a little earlier (judging by a photo of a stud dog posted recently, who's younger than Jed) but I may well be wrong!

Liz + Jed

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
My Parent's have a Bailey who is 8 1/2 months, who looks like the spitting image of your Bailey. He is about 30 kg, but all legs! He hasn't filled out at all yet.... typical teenager!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the comments folks! Yeh I feel that he has a way to go yet. Gona get he weighed again in a few weeks and I'm sure I'll be shocked at how much he has actually gained. :) :)

·
Registered
459 Posts
We were discussing weight & feeding today at home, Tiggy weighs 25.5 kilos according to my vets scales and is 9 months old. She has seen three vets in the last couple of months, one said she was a little tubby when she was 23.7 kilos, but the other two said she is fine. I have reduced her food a little as since she has been on restricted exercise she is probably not burning it off as much.

Both Molly & Tiggy are not particularly long legged, and a lot of people seem to think they are quite small.

Looking at your posts from yellows, blacks and chocolates, weights seem to be fairly consistent, but most choccies I see appear to be slightly stockier built than a lot of yellows & blacks I have seen (not all but generally). :? Is this right or am I imagining it :?:

nb - just noticed that other posters have male dogs, so maybe my girls are a little heavy :oops:

[/img]

·
Registered
2 Posts
When will Bailey be fully grown

I`m 5ft 8 ins. I would have liked to have been 6ft 2ins but no matter what my mother fed me when I was young would change my genetic profile. What I am trying to say is, if the pup is healthy and eating well it will grow to it`s optimum size what ever you do. Don`t worry, or compare, what will be will be.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Im thinking my boys are even skinner now seeing all those weights. Charlie is 19kg and Logan 21/22 and they are both 8 1/2 months. They have grown loads in height, but still seem very thin, they are all legs!!

Logan my chocolate lab as a much bigger build compared to his brother Charlie who is black, always as, his head is huge compared to charlies, got a head like a rotweiler.

The vet said choc labs seem to grow alot faster and be of a bigger build, dnt know how true it is????

·
Registered
759 Posts
in general... show lines will be heavier then field lines just due to breeding.. and females less then males.. i think breed standard is aprox 55 lbs for a female and 70 for a male.. if you do the conversion you should have an idea of where you stand.. now standard has seemed to grow a bit.. if not with the KC then in real life.. so take that for what its worth.. my elsa should be exact standard 55 lbs at maturity.. shes just 15 months old so.. she has another 10lbs to gain yet .. she might be slightly heavier though i think not being from field lines.. hope this helps..
regards
bruce and elsa
this is elsa at 9months, i have her on a grain free high protien diet so shes solid muscle.. no fat on her... just depends on your liking as an owner..and what you can afford to feed.. the orijen im using is 70 $ us per 30 lbs ..

G

·
Ruby's from working stock and at last weighing (when about 8 months old) she was just under 23kg. We took her out to the Bingley Show at the weekend and met lots of other lovely labs, all of whom made her seem like a hefty lump! I'm expecting her to be a big dog as her mum and dad both were, but I'd really rather like it if she stayed as she is now, as if she gets any stronger I'll have problems controlling her!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts