Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Angus is just over 4 months old now & growing so fast! The bigger he gets the less I like putting him in his cage as it seems so small for him now! Also, his toilet training is much, much better now & he hasn't had an accident for over 3 weeks.

Just wondering when (if?) you stopped putting your labs in the cage when you were out & at night & what sort of havoc they created?!

Thanks, laurie :)

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi Laurie,

I think to stop using your crate is entirely your own decision. I have personally stopped using mine now, but I know that a lot of people still use their's and are happy to do so, that is their choice. I would recommend checking that your crate is still big enough for your pup though. As for what destuction to expect, that depends on the dog. You could try leaving the crate door open so he can come and go as he pleases, also you could leave him with a toy like a kong filled with tasty morsells to help to keep him busy while you are gone. Just start with short periods of time left alone out of the crate and work your way gradually to longer periods (no more than 2 to 3hrs) HTH Goodluck :D

Cristina

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Corbie, our 20 week old pup, originally had a 30" crate but he outgrew that and now has the big 48" crate.

We put him in it at night and when we go out as his bed is in an extension to the kitchen, and we feel happier knowing he is safe in there and can't get up to any mischief when we go out, as he can easily get his paws on the kitchen work surfaces (even though he is not allowed to!).

We never leave him for more than 3.5 hours at a time if we go anywhere. He's happy using it so we've continued to do so and will keep using it as long as we feel he is happy in there.

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Forgot to say, Ben is now 7mth old and we have a 48inch crate, which he no longer uses but I do keep it for emergences. Also I am lucky enough that Ben has never really destroyed anything or gone to the toilet when left alone.He may pinch the odd sock or "broom" but I can live with that! :lol:

Cristina

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I will try leaving him with the crate door open for some short periods to begin with. If all goes well I will stop using the crate but if not looks like I will have to shell out for one of those 48" crates too! Many thanks :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
we've gone up to a 48" crate,
I've moved Molly's smaller crate to the car for travelling,
Makes it so much easier to go for a walk when you can get her straight into the car without having to carry the create in and out!

We also leave Molly with the door shut when she's unattended, I do intend to let her have a bit of freedom during the day, hoping to start this bit by bit soon!.

she obviously still loves it, as she gets in a strop if you make to much noise (like talking etc..the cheek of us owners!). and goes off to her crate to sleep

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Hi everyone
Before my son stopped using the crate completely. He bought 4 extra panels, left the crate door open, fixing panels one each side of crate and made a pen or an extention to the crate hope that makes sense'

So the dog was still unable to run loose, but could lay in the crate or outside without getting into mischief. but had extra space,
Even when she gave up being controlled in the crate for a long time they just left the crate with the door open and she treated that as her bed, she was always very content, and never did any damage when they left her. My son is always boasting and telling friends all she ever did was take a leaf from an indoor plant. She is such a good girl now 5 yrs. I cannot say that to all of mine although some a lot better than others.

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
I got a 48" crate from a seller on ebay, which was delivered within 48 hours for £49.44 including postage and packing, very good value for money and the crate is excellent.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Crate training

Hi,

My Lab Scout is 9 months old today and she still sleeps in her crate. I have never shut her into it (apart from the odd time she has gone half mad at the vacuum cleaner !) She still sleeps in it now and I think she sees it as her 'own place'. She often gets in it during the day for a nap and I have not got the heart to get rid of it now. I have been told it's very good to help them settle in a strange place if you are ever away and leaving her at a friends place. My cage is so large though that I have also bought a big plastic dog bed that she sleeps in if we are away with her.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Crate Training

My 5 month old lab Tia has been in a crate since we got her at 8 weeks and it has been invaluable. She is very content in it when we go out and goes in and out for naps. As with Jibber we have a crate in the car too and this is really hand for safety as much as anything. I particularly think they are useful if you have a caravan as you can put it in the awning for nightime. She recently went to the vets for a short stay due to illness and I think she settled in well there because she was used to being in a crate.

Karen, I got mine off Ebay as well. What a bargain!
Sally

·
Registered
2 Posts
My youngest Lab Rosie is just one year old and she uses her crate as her bed, she wo'nt entertain a normal dog bed so her crate stays even though the door is never closed. It is handy when we visit friends/family as she will use the crate and we know she cannot get into any michief in someone elses house if we go out.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just wondering if anyone know where you can get those panels that attach to a crate to creat a kind of pen? Think these could be very handy!!!

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
hi laurie

rosze is 13months and i still use her ccrate although not of a night time as she is in my bedroom :oops: :oops:
she iis a chewer so only goes in the crate when we leave the house.lol. she has calmed down loads so we are considering trying her out of the crate and see how we go... i dont want her to be in the crate for ever as my other 2 dogs have never been in a crate,lol.
but its finding the right time to do it just give it a go one night maybe and if it doesnt work out then at least you tried :p and try again another time

we got it from ebay 48" and she has plenty of room to fully stretch out and move around

·
Registered
131 Posts
I use the crate at night and when we are out in the day but try to leave it open more than not. I would like to wean her off the crate altogether as she seems happier in a normal basket/bed (we have them in the living and dining areas) and we would prefer not to have such a big thing sitting about.

It is just that I don't want to remove it too soon and regret it when the teething kicks in. She is already taking interest in the skirting around the cage as it is the only thing she can get her mouth on that is not hers when she is out in the utility area.

I agree that the cage remains good sense if going to stay elsewhere too. we went away at the weekend and she slept in a kitchen with other dogswwithout problem as she was safe and away from trying to play with them !

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
Charlie is restricted to the kitchen overnight and when we go out. His crate is in there with its door left open so that he has the option of sleeping in or out of it as he wishes. More often than not we come down in the morning to find him curled up inside it. He is 15 months old and seems through the worst of his chewy stage now, but I would still shut him in it overnight in other people's houses when we are away just to be on the safe side. He still doesn't mind, it can be his home from home.

The occasions when we close him into it at home now are getting much fewer, but he still likes to have it as a den so I think we will keep it up a while yet.

Helen.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Wish me luck. I took the cage away last night !!

Nyree is restricted to the utilty area and the only thing she has ever chewed was a cupboard and a piece of skirting in there over night. That was some weeks ago (when her front teeth were coming out I think). She went back to having the crate closed just at night but it has been 11 days now that she has had it open again all night without issue.

She is 4 months old and has not yet finished teething..she also has her next stage with bigger teeth and more destructive jaws ahead but I so want to give the benefit of the doubt as she has exceeded expectation in so many ways to date.

Her little waggy tail and eyes were so excited when she realised she had a basket instead of the crate to sleep in.

Will keep you all posted if you like. x

·
Registered
131 Posts
Well the little poppet has performed again ! No worries at all since leaving her out of the crate. It is a safe environment so there is little opportunity for her to do anything she should not but thought I would let you all know that the crate seems to have gone for good, even though she is still losing her teeth.

·
Registered
20,400 Posts
yay well done Nyree!!!!!! I am kind of unsure about the whole crate situation. Its not very attractive in my dining room BUT I like the idea of seperating her from the cat when we are out 8O

We have an open plan house so no utility room or seperate area for her :cry:

Nothing else for it we will have to move :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
I got some board from B&Q for CJ`s, laid it on the top, that way you can put lightweight things on top, helps it to blend a little better with the surroundings!, CJ did find though that he could stand inside the crate and chew at the boards, so you have to make them overhang a bit all way round :D , luckily he does`nt do that anymore.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts