Labradors Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am sure there will be posts with info on will have a look later. Question as title says when to stop puppy food and start adult. I have a 6mth old choc lab currently on puppy food bag running out and I don't know whether to buy another or moved onto adult food. Currently on beta large puppy other dogs are fed skinners so was hoping to move onto skinners, only on beta as that what breeder fed her.

Thanks to anyone replying.

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Hi, I would swop pup over at 6months or thereabouts, I did basil a little earlier as he started sleeping through his lunch anyway.

it's best to swop over gradually over a week or so though :)

G

·
We swapped Ruby at around 6 months, on the vet's advice. As Sarah suggests, it's good to wean them off the puppy food gradually - we mixed in the adult food over the course of a week or so, increasing the ratio of adult:puppy gradually each day. We also cut her down to two meals a day at the same time, and she didn't seem to mind a bit.

G

·
I go against the grain and get them onto Adult food as soon as poss really. Pickle is on Adult now at 10 weeks old. Pups were around for a long time before the Scientists were telling us we had to feed puppies high protein kibble :wink: .

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Alfie will be going onto adult food between 4-5mths old or if he drops to 2 feds a day his self.
I can buy the adult version of his food from the supermarket but thy don;t stock the puppy and its a bit of apain now with no car to have to go on the bus to get it...lol

edited coz its as of next month his food wil be getting changed, i have all his food for the next month and my next shopping trip will be just before it runs out so i can change him gradually...lol

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I have just bought a bag of junior JWB for Gillie who is 18 weeks on Wednesday. I am hoping the slightly lower protein may firm up his poo a bit so they are easy to pick up!

·
Administrator
21,512 Posts
Good for you Jules! I hate puppy food! I always tell people 6 months at the latest, but my Amy decided at 12 weeks old that she wanted what mummy was getting, and I was more than happy to give it to her.

Regards, John

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Jules/John/ Sherry - Out of interest would you still put them onto adult asap if they weren't gaining much weight?
I had intended to swap Nellie onto adult asap, but opted for another puppy brand instead as she wasn't putting much weight on....which has made virtually no difference tbh.
I'm not so keen to swop again so soon but I'm just not seeing any benefit of puppy food at the moment, she seems hungry but anymore gives her squits.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
I swapped Indy at 5.5 months because a) I was coming to the end of the bag of puppy food and b) she was growing too quickly for my liking. She still gets a lunchtime "snack" but seemed happy to be moved to two meals over the period of 5 days or so :)

G

·
I'm just not seeing any benefit of puppy food at the moment, she seems hungry but anymore gives her squits.
I personally would change her onto Adult if you can't feed her enough of the richer puppy food without it giving her the squits. I think puppy food is too rich for some pups tums, so just like some of us humans, too much rich food goes straight through, without touching the sides.

Pickle can have twice the amount she could manage of the puppy food, plus she gets a dollop of Butchers Tripe in it too (because all of mine do) and she wolfs it down, gets a lovely fat full tummy and produces lovely cigar like poos. :D :D :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts