Labradors Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bramble is doing really really well :)

I'll get round to more pictures soon i promise :lol:

took her out on the long line this morning (it came yesterday) so she could have a run - she loved it

Practised recall with her by randomnly calling her back, and she came back each time.

We practised "leave" too as someone had dropped some bread on the playing field :rolleyes: and she left that too.

Now, Next week, my friend and I (she is the vicars wife and has a lab called Bonnie) are going to go to our regular walk - which Bracken loved, and this is a really secure field (its a farmers field he has left purely for the dog walkers) so is fenced all round and no way of getting out.

My question is - do you think its too early to let Bramble off lead next week here so she can have a proper run with Bonnie - so i should keep her on the longline, or do you think i should go for it and let her off?

·
Premium Member
4,592 Posts
Hi Glenys, :D I'd let her off. :p

My two lads were never 'on' lead. But I did have secure grounds to train them and let them wander and explore.
If the field is secure then let her go. Just make sure she doesn't get too carried away with running and tumbling because she is still very young.

Also practising recall is more fun and more practical if they are a distance away.

:D

EDIT: Is she a pup? :oops:

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
I think she's still pretty young isn't she? I would go for it and let her off lead. In fact I probably would have already done so :lol:

Sounds as though she's bonding nicely with you, the field is really secure, she'll have another dog to play with and it would be great for her to get used to being off lead with you. Take the camera :D

G

·
All my pups go off lead from the first time they are properly allowed out. As long as the area you exercise in is secure, you shouldn't have a problem and you'll probably find she won't go far from your legs anyway.

Off lead and walking with you is a fantastic way of encouraging good heelwork too, as everytime they choose to walk close to you, you can praise and reward the behaviour, offering the command at the same time. I've found it far better to teach heelwork off lead than on, as there is no battling with the lead then.

It's excellent that you have access to a nice secure field....a lot of people would cut off their right arm for that :wink: .

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes she is a pup in answer to the earlier question :lol:

she is coming up for 5 months old and we will have had a her week tomorrow

I will have lots of treats, some balls, food, and high pitched squeaky voice :rolleyes: on standby.

others say i should keep her on the long line and just let that fall, am not sure, will see how she gets on i think :)

the ONLY unsecure bit of the field is the kissing gate where you go in and out

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Sounds like her recall is good and if there are other dogs around then her attention will be with them.

I'd say go for it and let her off :)

·
Premium Member
4,592 Posts
Glenys said:
yes she is a pup in answer to the earlier question :lol:

she is coming up for 5 months old and we will have had a her week tomorrow
I let Hollie off lead in the fields the day after she arrived (she was five months old too) she just ran with the lads. :D

·
Registered
426 Posts
I'd say go for it too!!

We had The Bug from babyhood, and I was persuaded (I won't say bullied, since she did it so kindly and gently) by Yvonne (VonandRuf) to let him off the lead from really early on...

Since she is still a baby, she really will come back to you (partic if food is involved) and as others have said, is just as likely to be under your feet...

The field sounds like a fantastic place to do it for the first time an build your confidence - It will be fab! we promise

g

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
I know it's a bit different when they've been rehomed and you've not had them since they were 8 weeks and rescues often recommend waiting x weeks for adult dogs, but she's still very young and it sounds a safe area.

I let Max off lead the morning after the evening we brought him home - and he was older, but not adult. It was an open country park and not something I would necessarily advise others to do, but god did he need a run :lol:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well, you may be intereested to know that OH took Bramble out (i'm working shhhhhh) and took the chuckit and a ball, he let her offlead in the football field (secure) and she ran round after the ball but apparently didnt go far :lol:

Next friday will be the meeting Bonnie and going to the really huge field :)

i'll remember the camera :wink:

·
Registered
303 Posts
We let Jess off as soon as we could at 11 weeks. We do lots of recalls with a treat each time so she gets used to coming back at any time, rather than just to go back on the lead. It's lovely to see her running round with my mum n dad's border collie :D .

·
Registered
621 Posts
_Jules_ said:
It's excellent that you have access to a nice secure field....a lot of people would cut off their right arm for that :wink: .
I agree, we didn't have anything like that larger than our back garden and we're paying for it a bit now he's in the teenage phase!

Although he was still pretty young when we did let him off in public, with hindsight I think our recall and lead walking have suffered for not being brave enough to do it earlier... oh for that secure field! ;-)

·
Premium Member
21,240 Posts
I let Molly offlead fist day she came on a walk with us and the rest of the pack, due to her insecurity she stuck very close by us.

As long as you don't have a nervous dog, this way is fine, however, if you have a dog that shows any nervousness to noise or other dogs, I wouldn't recomend letting them offlead first/second day.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi, i had my lab for nearly a w eek when let off lead, we did recall in garden and did well we went to field and i let off lead and did well i made it interesting for her to follow me and she did and i have let her off since, i am sure yours would b ok offlead now as long as not near a road or any where dangerous in case do run off, but i think if ur dog is coming back when called should be fine. good luck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts