Labradors Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We’ve had Maya with us since Saturday and I’ve been sleeping on an air mattress at the side of her crate in the living room as there isn’t enough space in our bedroom for her to be with us in the bedroom. I’ve done 3 nights with her like that. She was very good when I put her in the crate at 11.00pm and went off to sleep after 30 seconds of crying with me just saying ‘shhh settle’ ( I used settle with my last lab as I sometimes had to sleep downstairs with her when hubby came back from working abroad and was so tired that he snored me out!). She went through to 6.00am without needing a wee as she was so worn out. Second night she cried and barked for 30 minutes and threw herself around her crate. Telling her to ‘shh..’ made it worse so I went quiet and left her to it but she knew I was there. She went off to sleep after 30 mins, whined to go out at 3.00am so toileted her with minimum Interaction then back to sleep without a murmur until 6.00am. Last night she took herself to her crate in the early evening for a short snooze. i put her in properly at 11.00pm nd she went off without a murmur until 3.20am when a toileted her then back to sleep until 6.00am. She seems to be adapting to a crate, She has all her meals in there and a few treats to get her going in and out of it voluntarily and lots of praise when she does. She’s been shut in there this morning a few mins this morning with a frozen Kong and not a murmur. I’m wondering at what point I leave her to it and go back to bed as I’m shattered from not sleeping well. How have others done the transition?

·
Administrator
21,294 Posts
It's so difficult to answer that question, because every dog is different. Personally I never sleep with my pups, they are downstairs and I'm up from day one. But then again I normally also have an older dog so the pup is never really on it's own. Although it's in it's crate on it's own it can hear the older dog breathing. (And snoring!!!) But even though I'm not with my pup I still get up to take it out during the night, not so much when it asks, but at regular times, which personally I think is better because the pup never gets to think it only needs to call and I'll come arunning. But certainly with my last two pups then have been clean and dry all night within a week. But thats the luck of the game. In the days of Beth, before I started using a crate, she was still not clean all night at 6 months old!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks John. Crates definitely make things easier. I didn’t crate my first lab Candy and she was another Beth- 6 months before she was clean and dry. It was a wonder I had another but Tia was clean and dry at night pretty quickly but she wouldn’t settle and cried every night for weeks until the Vet suggested a DAP defused which helped enormously. I’ve been running an Adaptil Defuser close to Maya’s crate from day one. I appreciate the advice about getting up at set times as I was I. Two minds about this but the last 2 nights have been a 3.00am or there shouts need to toilet and then back to sleep so I’ll set my alarm for then and start stretching her from there.

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
Late to bed and up at about 5:30am then back in crate with a frozen kong is what I did for Freddie. Pops was harder as she had a juvenile vulva and kept getting UTIs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts