Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
right our labradr is 18 months old suzy i yellow bitch she just had her second season was told by the vet and some other breeder that the best time to let her have pups is on her 3 rd season due to her teats milk production will be right by her 3 season is this advice right ?
and if we breed her with a black stud dog would we get just black pups or would we get any choc labs or yellow ones ?
thaks for any advice given

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Hi Doggylover,

Can't answer this post i'm afraid, but wanted to bump it up to the beginning so hopefully someone will see it and be able to advise you.

Good luck.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I am not a breeder. I adopt Labs that have been dumped because the families no longer wanted the dog. So far I have adopted three. Breeding is a hot topic here in the US where over 150,000 Labrador retrievers are registered with the AKC. There are countless more Labs bred by people who don't register and don't screen and don't care.

That said, don't breed your Lab until after it has passed the health screenings that have been set up by the Labrador retriever Club UK, and don't breed to a stud that has not been screened or has not yet passed. There are links in the post I wrote titled Some thoughts on breeding. Labs hve several genetic faults and these screening will help keep the breed healthy.

Labradors should be bred to further the breed. You don't say in your post if you show. iIf your bitch and stud dog have not been titled I would not suggest breeding until they do earn titles. Not every Labrador is breeding quality. Also get yourself a mentor. A mentor will help you establish your line and you will learn all there is to know about genetics, pedigrees and breeding.

There is a lot of information available at www.woodhavenlabs.com

HTH

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well said Labdad!
right our labradr is 18 months old suzy i yellow bitch she just had her second season was told by the vet and some other breeder that the best time to let her have pups is on her 3 rd season due to her teats milk production will be right by her 3 season is this advice right ?
and if we breed her with a black stud dog would we get just black pups or would we get any choc labs or yellow ones ?
thaks for any advice given
Never heard that about milk production before!
A bitch is ready for breeding when she had passed all her health clearances and has proven herself to be a quality example of the breed. I personally would not breed a bitch until she was at least 3 years old and she is both physically and mentally mature.
As to what colours you would get if she is bred with a black dog......if the dog is black dominant you will get only black puppies.....if he carries black and yellow, you will get black and yellow puppies. You will only get choc pups if both the dog and bitch carry chocolate. This is something you will have to research before you breed your girl.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Why do you want to breed from her? What are her hip score/eye test. Has she been tested for OCD. How has she been placed in the ring. Is she a good example of her breed. And the stud, has he also had his health checks done. What is your reason for choosing this stud.
Can you afford to keep all the pups if they are not sold or have to be returned to you for any reason. Are you prepared for any medical complication and the resulting costs of a C section. Or even the death of your bitch. I am sorry to be so harsh but please look closely at your reasons for doing this.
An example. cost of stud £200. cost of feeding pregnant and lactating bitch quadruples. Cost of C section £700 upwards. your bitch only has a singleton. Maybe she produces no milk, can you take 6 weeks off work to care and feed pups 24 hours a day. Maybe your bitch will develop pyometra the pups will be re-absorped and bitch may die if not spayed immediately. Are you prepared for all of this.
Why not talk to your bitches breeder, she will be able to help you. I usually give as much advice as I can and am usually quite happy to spend a lot of time on the telephone.
As for the colour of the pups, you would need to study the genetic history of the stud back to 8 generations, If he carries chocolate gene it is not a good idea to mate him with your yellow bitch, the pigmentation and eye colouring from this mating would be very poor. Is the stud proven, you may then find what he carries, it depends on his genetics, he may carry all three colours, he may only carry one.
Please dont think too harsh of me, too many people have lost a precious and much loved bitch because they think one litter wont hurt :cry:
Kay

1 - 5 of 5 Posts