Labradors Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the right age to stop giving Rueben lunch? He is 7 months now and still has breakfast, lunch and tea.

Do most people swap to just breakfast and tea because they are out during the day or is there another reason for it? I'm at home all day so keeping it to 3 meals a day isn't a problem for me.

Edited to also ask, how often should he be getting weighed now? He was last weighed at 6 months. I think our vets has a set of scales in the reception which you can go in and use any time. In fact they encourage it so that the dog has a positive experience at the vets rather than only going there when there's something wrong with them!

Anita & Rueben
xXx

?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I tend to cut out lunch at about 6 months old, although they often get a bikkie around lunch time, just to tie them over :wink: .

You don't have to get them weighed at all if you don't want to. You should be able to tell if he's the right weight just by looking at him and feeling for his ribs (without sinking your fingers in).

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
No reason why you shouldn`t stick with 3 meals but cut down the amount in each, a lot of dogs will cut out the middle one by refusing to eat it, that way Rueben will have made the decision for you :D

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well he still loves his lunch at the moment so I guess he's not ready yet!!

Jules, what should I be feeling for? I keep worrying he looks a bit skinny! :roll: :oops:

I can't see his ribs but he does have what I call an hour glass figure! That is when I look at him from above, he's quite wide at his chest, goes in at his waist and then out again at this tail. Is that right?

Anita & Rueben
xXx

?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He sounds perfect Anita. :D

You should be able to easily feel but not see his ribs, when he is stood still. And he should have a "Waist" when viewed from above and a slight "Tuck" underneath from the side.

He is at that Gangly Stage now, which is why you think he looks skinny. His upward growth will slow right down now and his chest will start to broaden and deepen soon until he reaches his adult size and shape at around 18 months, sometimes a little older.

I think most people cut out that middle feed just out of convenience....I know I do. There is no reason to stop feeding it, only reasons to keep feeding it until they are 6 months old. :wink:

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
_anita_ said:
I can't see his ribs but he does have what I call an hour glass figure! That is when I look at him from above, he's quite wide at his chest, goes in at his waist and then out again at this tail. Is that right?
That is indeed right yes :D

Like Jules, I cut mine down around 6 months.

I guess there is no real harm in staying on three meals - but, you do tend to find they can put on weight suddenly - so just keep a careful eye on volume in and weight :wink:

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You should be able to easily feel but not see his ribs, when he is stood still. And he should have a "Waist" when viewed from above and a slight "Tuck" underneath from the side.
That's exactly what he is like Jules! Sounds like he's just fine then.

Phew!!!

Anita & Rueben
xXx

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I've been having the same dilemma with Oscar who is almost 6 months now. I tried to drop his lunchtime meal but he seemed so ravenous I gave in and reinstated it. I don't know if he's genuinely hungry or just greedy but I think I will give it another month and then try again.

Norma

1 - 8 of 8 Posts