Labradors Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi can anyone please tell me the best age to let my male breed as im new to all this and have been asked by a few people but always end up looking stupid :oops: when i say im not sure there is alot of advice and information about breeding females but not alot for the males hope someone can educate me :p .

·
Premium Member
8,834 Posts
Has he been hip/elbow scored and eye tested?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Unless your dog is top quality and has something to offer the breed, the answer is never. If your dog an outstanding example of the breed, that has been hip/elbow scored and eye tested.....then around 2 years (give or take a few months).
Also do you realise that breeding a pair of dogs is not as easy as it looks and that you may even have to assist the dog to find the "target".

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I have to agree with KJE you have to get your dog known either in the show ring or working circles, beside all the health checks. Then if he is outstanding and compliments someones bitch they will approach you. It is no good at all that a pet bitch round the corner comes to you, that is not the way to breed. I am not trying to offend you, but breeding has to be taken very seriously, otherwise more Labradors end up being rescued. Regards Meg

·
Premium Member
8,834 Posts
Meg, both you and KJE said exactly what I thought but was too chicken to say! Leave breeding to the experts is what I say, every time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
breeding

Hi well thanks for the feedback i hope none of you misunderstood me i was just asking a question im no expert and i love my dog very much im not poor or rich but i would never breed just for the money i did feel like i was kind of attacked for asking a simple question but i understand that there are many people out there who breed just because they have a dog and want money my family have had gun dogs for about 40 years and they are all working dogs we own quite abit of land and they work the shooting season i have been interested in breeding for a while and im keen to learn and understand how best to do it i would never just go out and do it without the knowledge thanks again for your replys.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Hi Mumsboy,

Welcome to Labforums.

Sorry you felt like you were being attacked in response to your post, i'm sure the other members didn't mean to upset you.

You did the right thing by posting in the forums, as that's what we are all here for - to help and advise you the best we can.

How old is your lab? Do you have any photos? :D

We look forward to hearing all about Bailey,

All the best for now

Julie

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi mumsboy

Welcome to the forum. Sorry you feel you were attacked - I am sure that was not the intention, and the advice you were given was good advice. Labradors are the most overbred breed, the rescues are overflowing, more and more people think that it's a good idea to breed from their pet dog / bitch.

The only valid reason to add to the huge number being bred is because you have a dog or bitch that is an excellent example and truly has something to offer the future of the breed. The easiest way to find out if any dog or bitch is good enough is to show / work them. While we all think our own dogs are the best (and of course they are to us) it is important that they are assessed by someone with knowledge and the ability to make an objective judgement as to whether the dog is good enough or not.

You say your family has working gundogs and people have asked to use him?
– have you trained your dog and who is it who has asked to use him? If he is trained, have you had any success in working tests or field trials. If not this is where I would start. Once (and if) he has proven himself in the field, then, as mentioned before, you will need to get him hip/elbow scored and eye tested clear.

While everyone has to start somewhere, I strongly recommend you get yourself a mentor and learn about breeding long before you think of using your dog, I would try and find a reputable stud owner/breeder near you. Explain that you are interesting in breeding and ask if you can watch/assist with any matings. Contrary to popular belief, matings are not always straightforward, a helping hand (literally) is sometimes needed, and there always the risk of serious injury to both the dog and/or bitch. Generally, the bitches owner will look upon you to be experienced enough to manage the mating safely. You will also need an understanding of a bitches season and when to recognise the signs that she is ready. In addition to this, you will need to know about pedigrees (and the dogs in them). Not only will you need to know about your own boy’s lines, (you don’t say what lines he’s from) you will also need to know those that are and those that aren’t compatible.

You should also be aware and able to manage the possible behavioural changes that can happen once a dog has been used a stud. Once they’ve had a taste of it, they usually want more, so they are more likely to wander in search of bitches, can become more dog aggressive and can start to mark their territory (which includes indoors).

Regards, Jenny

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Hi Mumsboy
I did not intend to offend you in anyway with my comments but there is no easy way to explain the situation.
But I thank Julie and Jenny for there comments.
Jenny is so much better than myself for putting over the feelings regrds Breeding that many people have especially Labradors that are so overbred,
My feeling is that if you are genuinely interested in breeding, it may be better to go to a very experienced breeder, and buy a foundation bitch that you will be able to start with and have them as your mentor. The site of the Tintagel Labradors and read the history will explain to you what I mean. Good Luck Regards Meg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello everyone well thanks for the advive and their is so much of it i definatly know that im not in anyway clued up on breeding and your kind advice has really made me think long and hard and im not sure now whether its the right thing for bailey as he is very much a lazy boy and a clown i love him to bits so im quite happy to have him at my feet snooring away ill leave the breeding to the experts just one more question : how old should bailey be to have him neautered? ( have i spelt that right?) he's 14 months now and is it best to get him done??
i know im sorry that was two question's look forward to your advice sharon.x

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I think you could have him neutered any time from now. Have you a real problem with him that he needs to be neutered?? I am not saying he should not be I just wondered if you had any problems with his behaviour or running off? It is not a bad idea to get him done especially if you have any bitches living near by. But ask your vets advice. Regards Meg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
bailey and the snip!!!

Hi no i dont have any real problems with him yet the only thing he seems to show any lovin to is his bedding :roll: hoping it wont go on to be people :oops: i will ask my vet and see what he says thanks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi, we will be in the same position as our dog is almost 13 months, but i have found replies from the breeders to be rather clicky, clicky. Which is a tad annoying. Probably like us you are not looking to make any profits from this, but to pass on your beautiful dogs line to friends and family and have another one! Use his kennel name, as people will look at his history and you will probably find out he related to 1 or 2 of the breeders dogs. Which in turn will put him on the same par as some of their sire dogs.

Jamu's kennel name is Hamlet Hemming, 5th gen. So shout your dogs kennel name out loudly on your posts, . You will have to get him noticed though, which will be the test. If he is well trained you should pick up a prize or 2 at shows and of course he is good looking too.

Breeders how can you argue with that and any1 interested in jamu give him 8 months!

·
Administrator
20,708 Posts
but i have found replies from the breeders to be rather clicky, clicky. Which is a tad annoying.
Just to put things into perspective, there were over 44000 labrador puppies registered in the UK alone last year and quite a few more who were not registered. So far this year, my friend, who runs a small rescue in the north west, has rehomed 152 Labs in the first six months of this year and tells me they are coming in faster than she can rehome them! Another friend bred a litter some time ago, a nice bitch put to a top winning show dog. The puppy's are now 18 weeks old and she still has 3 unsold!

Yes we need breeders. Without them the breed would die out in one generation. But what we need is RESPONSIBLE breeders. People who are prepared to do the homework. Health test. Study pedigrees to find out whats behind. Get to know lines with problems and what to avoid with their dogs. People prepared to do that will get my support. People too lazy to do the job properly will not.

Regards, John

·
Registered
70 Posts
John, reading some of your points on this forum, I feel that you do have alot of knowledge on labradors in general. However your response to my comment is little patronizing. What do you think people like myself and the post originator are doing, sitting on our arse leaving our dogs to wonder the streets to sire with anything that moves. No, we are only asking sensible questions with the view of getting sensible answers, but we are being shot down at the first response by the likes of "the clicky, clicky bunch". So rather than just picking out a little bit of the post, start making encouraing comments that may actually help people with their questions. Now I cannot vouch for the originator of this post, but I am certainly treating this with the greatest of care and respect that will be needed, which does include alot of "homework". Hence asking the questions way before the time he is ready. Just the type of pompous British attitude the needs to be extinct! Are people thick, or do they just live in a world that time forgot!

Perhaps someone can tell me whether my dog "hamlet Hemming chocolate brown" is from a bad line or not, people whom have done their homework should know, as you will have the books, bloodlines etc to hand! I do believe he is from some similar lines to a few breeders on this forum, so is your stock crap? What you do find as well, alot of breeders don't give a **** about the dogs, only money ( I am not pointing the finger at anyone). At the end of the day its down to supply and demand, so one cannot tell about your 2 friends and their bad stories. Rescue dogs are not just down to labradors, there are thousands upon thousands of dogs out there that need a new family. However you do find that alot of people want there dog from the beginning, so they can teach, train and fun with it, in a 2 way loving relationship. Rather than picking up a dog from a rescue centre that may be a bit dodgy in temperment which I have seen many times and all not the dogs fault!

So I dare you "responsible" breeders, educate us "non responsible, village idot type people" rather than just attacking. And the world might just be a better place.

mumsboy good luck and take the good points, ignore the attacks!

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I am very sorry that I have to offend you maybe again and be clickey clickey together with John.
There is no nice way of saying that people who know nothing about breeding Labradors and only want a litter just for the sake of it or for friends to have, are totally the wrong people to improve our lovely breed.
These are a lot of many who have to be rehomed.through our very busy rescues, and very often a lot of these dogs have either health or behaviour problems.

·
Administrator
20,708 Posts
I picked out what I thought was the more reasonable part of your post doublep. As to the rest of it, I thought you were thumbing your nose at everyone on here! It strikes me of, "To hell with you lot, I'll do as I please!" If this is the case then you will do it without any help from me.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Again its the same response! I have a bloody list of 11 people who are serious in owning a dog and preferably one of Jamu's offspring. This list will increase and decrease in size over time as some people may wait and others may not. This is not something I'm rushing into and not something I will be taking full time, it will be done a couple/few times then thats it, with the last time one of the dogs going to us to. I felt so sorry for mumspup as she only asked a question and now her spirit has gone and may be completing depressing thoughts and I'm not surprised the way she was pounched upon like a pack of wild dogs (pardon the pun). In fact, I will now make sure I have the time to get to the next forum get together, so we can be all clicky clicky together. with a spot of luck the people might be normal.

John after reading your response, i'm going to get a drink. Now you have thrown your toys out the pram! Please read every post word for word and you find the answers there, you may have to look down your nose though. So shall I go the same way as mumspup and decide to have my boys nuts chopped tomorrow, or shall I keep asking questions all the time, doing my homework! The biggest problem is everyone has given the same answer, not one person has opened the door for mumspup on her questions, it has been all negatives, no positives. Surely there are always 2 sides to the coin! Apart from site admin, whom I thought was quite polite.
You are more than welcome to email me at any time, that goes to everyone! Perhaps some doors can be opened?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
DoubleP, I feel compelled to respond to your post. I work in rescue myself and have rehomed more dogs in the 1st 6 months of this year than I did in the 1st 6 months of last year - that means simply this - there are too many labradors out there and not enough genuine, caring owners (like all of the people that post on here.)

My question to you, therefore is this - why do you as a labrador owner feel it necessary to bring yet more labradors into this world simply because people like your dog? Your dog will not sire clone puppies of himself, they will have their own personality. What happens if the people who buy the pups from you decide that they no longer want the pup? Will you as the breeder be in a position to take the puppy/dog back at anytime in their life?

Why, if your friends are interested in owning a relative of your dog - why not point them in the direction of the breeder which you got Jamu from - if he is of a good line, as you say then the breeder will have done as John has previously said - he/she will have researched the breed done thier homework. If they are a well known breeder and produce quality puppies then people should buy them from this breeder, not from you.

I am sorry if I cause offence as I would not like to do that - however I see absolutely no reason whatsoever for you to breed your dog and if I ever even thought of breeding either of my dogs (not that I ever have and never would) I would read posts from people like John who know far more about labradors than many of us on here and realise that breeding is something that should be left to professionals, not amateurs.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Hi Doublep,

Running a forum is a difficult task sometimes, and we do like to hear both sides of the story.

However, on this occasion i agree totally with what our experienced members of the site are advising. We have some very kind and knowledgeable members on Labforums, who will always go out of their way to be helpful and willing to pass on their excellent expertise in the friendliest way possible.

I have alot of respect for John, and can only agree with everything he has advised you.

Please don't hesitate to ask for advice as there is alot of expertise and knowledge in the forums, but please be willing to listen as help is trying to be given in the best way possible, and always having the best interests of our breed, the labrador, in mind.

I think enough has been said on this thread, so am now going to lock it.

Thank you for your understanding,

Julie

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.