Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my lab is turning nine in January and has recently become very restless and often violent towards other dogs which is very unusual for her.... does anyone know whats wrong?? please help!

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Hi Tom, it is possible, given her age and the sudden change, that her behavior ***could*** be a medical condition, or perhaps she just doesn't have the same patience.

However, I am no Vet and the best advice I can give is to go and see your vet or at the very least ring them for advice as soon as you can.

·
Registered
958 Posts
agree completely with sarah, from what you've said this behaviour is out of character, which could suggest a condition cuasing it. One question, when you say your dogs restless, does this include panting lots?

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
I`m with Sarah and Tracy, Meg needs a visit to the vet to see if she has pain anywhere that could account for her sudden change in personality, unlike us they can`t say something hurts and instinct tells them not to anyway but if other, say younger dogs jump around her she won`t like it.

Please let us know how Meg gets on :)

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Hi Tom

Agree with what others have said, I would take her along to the vet as it sounds as she might be in pain (Labs, in fact all dogs hide pain very well, goes back to when they lived wild and could not be seen as weak)

It is worth getting to the bottom of this now and I hope she makes a full recovery :D

·
Premium Member
14,224 Posts
Hi Tom

Just to say that I would second the advice and would suggest that you take Meg to the vets, it sounds as though this change in charater is much more likely to be caused by a medical problem than a behaviour one - so you need to get that checked out...

Eve Neo and Bramble

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Interesting - my Fife is 9 1/2 and this year has twice snapped at other dogs on the shoot, which is totally out of character. Both incidents happened walking back after a drive towards the end of the day when he was tired and the other dog came up to say hello. He has regular 3 monthly check ups at the vet and has always had a wonderful temperament, so I am putting it down purely to tiredness and not liking the other dog "in his face". I now make sure he is on the lead and not in the position to be pestered after the drives when he is tired.

I would reiterate what the others have advised, get a vet check up to be sure, but it may be that your girl isn't as patient as she was in her youth, and just needs a bit more space these days.

Good luck

Katy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts