Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chewy is called Chewy because on the day we took her home in the car her tummy kept making funny noises that sounded like she had a mini Chewbacca inside her. My OH is into Star Wars and Chewy sort of stuck. Initially we were only calling her that until we thought of something better. People quite often comment that it's a stupid name for a dog, but we quite like it now.

We call Chewy lots of things other than Chewy. In fact she is never called Chewy on it's own, it's always 'Chewy Dog' The neighbours asked us if we also had Chewy Cat and that was how we differentiated lol (we don't)

I always call her Puppa and my OH calls her 'Puppa-The-Dog'. She also answers to Fur Face which I find quite funny.

To be honest, we should probably just have made our lives easier and called her 'No' as that seems to be all I ever shout at her!

We also have a little song that we sing to her which is basically the Spiderman song, but insert 'ChewyDog' instead of spiderman... if ever anyone heard us....

Just wondered why you chose your dogs names and what other nicknames you have for them?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Oh gosh we have loads for Poppy. She was a private rehoming at 14 weeks and I promised her original owner we would keep her name. That said, she gets called all sorts - Pops, Poptart, Popt-y-ping, Popadilly, Dills, Dee-eelles (my son calls her that), Dilly-doo-dah. It's a wonder she responds to anything!

When she was mouthing, my eldest used to sing to her while he was stroking her ..."We like a very gentle Poppy...We like a very gentle Poppy.." with gentle being the command to stop nipping :D

·
Registered
171 Posts
We call Milo Nudger, If there is something on the arm of the chair he always nudges it off with his nose. Doors are nudged open and we have nose prints all over the windows etc.
Wish we had waited to name him as Nudger fits perfectly.

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
All far too polite so far :p

Mac often used to get called Toby (our previous dog), Di obviously calls him Trevor when he's being a complete pain in the backside. He also answers to 'Oi, s**t for brains!' when he's being an idiot and 'Nobby no nuts' since he had his operation. He has very cruel and horrible owners....

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Jazz, is a shortening of her KC name Jasmine (which we picked) and also borrowed from Primal Scream's Come Together.

She gets called Jazz, Jazzie, DJ Jazzie Jeff, and Big Un.

Phoebe who is NOT named after a character in Friends, gets called Phoebe, Feebs, Dweeb, Phoebe Ru (cos she begs on her 2 hind legs), Phoebe Ru Ski (lost in the mists of time) and Little Un. She is also called PheBay by a very close friend, but no one else :evil:

Olly was going to be called Freddy but we changed to Olly (in fact we were after a bitch who was going to be called Suzie but settled for a dog instead)

Ssssh : don't tell Les, my next wee Spaniel, will be a bitch called Suzie, mum's the word.

Olly gets called Olly, Olls, Okly (my Mother's predictive text) George (as in Jealous George because he won't let me pat the labs without pushing in on the act)

He also answers to Spaniel, Bawheid, and when he is being particularly Spanielesque OllyBillyBollyBash said very, very quickly, which tends to make him even more Spanielesque :lol:

Oh and occasionally I call him Basile (Boli) rhymes with Olly, or Nathan which is short for Nathaniel which rhymes with............

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Digger was called Digger when I had him at 5months and not knowing what to change it to it stuck.

He gets called Dig, Dood and Pig mostly but also monkey bum, smelly bum, iggle piggle, piggleton and special. And my brother always calls him digwar!

Theo was a name we all agreed on when he was a pup from a really long list. Nickname wise he's Thee, theedog, and ratty.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
George: George, George Dyson Frederick, Georgie, JoJoJoJoZhorge

Alfie: Alfie, Alf, Alfred Sidney Digger, Alfredie Pops, Little Poo

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Indie because it's part of her pedigree name, sort of, and she gets called the Indie Bear and lots of other things, but mainly bear related because she looks like a big brown bear.

Tau because that's part of her pedigree name, I got to choose both hers and Indie's, and the literal translation for Tau's pedigree name is sleeping lion.

Rhuna was originally an old Labrador rescue dog, and I thought it was such a nice name I would use it again when I had the right pup.

And Zasa is named after Joey Zasa, a mafia bad guy from the Godfather films, and she is an absolute ratbag, so it fits!!

My username is also my affix, and was based on the three names Tau, Rhuna and Indie, and moors because it is Yorkshire, and we have lots of them up here.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Merlin was going to be Harry from Harry Potter as my son grew up reading the books. It then became a popular boys name so we swapped to another great wizard. He gets Merly, Merls and bubba.
Willoughby is from Sense and Sensibility, he gets Wills, Willy, Willy waggles and Mr Willoughby when we go to the vets which always makes me smile.
At the moment I'm trying to convince OH a flat coat puppy would be fun and I've already chosen Loxley from Robin Hood or Darcy from Pride and Prejudice.

·
Premium Member
8,783 Posts
Betty's proper name is Bluebird. We call her Betty Blue. Probably best not to go there ;-)

Milly is millipede or peediepie

Carys Is Diddles. Diddlediddledumpling.

Lulu is The Luminator or Lil or Lilu.

?

·
0 Posts
Mojo = Moj, Mojamoo, Grump a Lump, The Old Windbag.

Pickle = Pickle-Lilli, Pickle Pup/PP, Numpty Pants, Big Woosie.

Pood = Pootle, Ratbag, Bossy Baggage.

Twoee = Twoee Two Shoes, The Curly Worm, Ping Thing.

Tidge = Squidge, Licky Pants, Tidgy Widger, Scruffpot.

8)

·
Registered
716 Posts
Bruce is named after batman who my son is mad on and we let him choose the name . I've been thinking about getting another dog and was thinking I would continue with the batman theme and name him after robin however finding out robin's " real " name is Dick has scuppered those plans ;-)

Bruce goes by brucie , Brucie pie and soft s##t

Claire x

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
My children named our dogs.

Buster because my son wanted a "characterful dog" we definitely have that in him. Buster is a total nutter and affectionately known as Buster the bum hole.

Roxy was supposed to be a Daisy but after a few days the kids decided she was too spirited for a Daisy and suited Roxy better. She is so sweet and gentle now though that she really is more of a Daisy.

I also had a Ratbag like Jules, my Snowey, a typical feisty terrier that was also a very talented ratter.

·
Super Moderator
15,716 Posts
Charlie is called Charlie because when we got him, the 4 of us couldn't agree on any names. Whatever was decided at least one would say 'I'm not shouting that in the park'. So I said we'll end up with something simple then like Charlie - and everyone agreed!
He gets called Charlie Brown, Charlie Bear, Chas, Chas Brown, Mummy's little special boy :roll:

Dudley is named after Cuddly Dudley who is a penguin. It was my eldest son's favourite book as a child.
He gets called Duds, Doods, Doodie, Doodlebug, Boogie but mainly Boo or Numpty :roll:

·
Registered
551 Posts
Pepper gets Pepita, Peps, Pepsi, Peppity Pup, Pepper Puppy, Poopy Puppy, Baby Girl, Slobber Chops, The Minx (but that's only in reference to her, not a name she is actually called) and Gorgeous, as she is totally gorgeous!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Hehe this is too funny!

Cooper gets Coops, Coopsy, Mr Cooper, Mr C, Cooper Magoo, Mr Magoo, Buddy, Buddyboo - from OH - and baby boy, baby dog, munchkin, monkey and also bébé chien and ti-chien (baby dog and short for lil' dog in French, he's bilingual) - from me - :lol:

·
Registered
849 Posts
Barney
AKA Barney Rubble, Barnes Wallace, Wallace Arnold
Lord Dome Head, Doofus, The Big Galoote (by our best vet)
Bear, numpty, to name a few (LOL) :oops:

Pam

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Judy is named after the mascot for my football team who fittingly is St. Jude, the patron saint of lost causes!

She gets called Jude, chimp, monkey, Judy-boob and most commonly boobs! The last one is my favourite as I like calling her loudly in the park on a summers day when there's well endowed ladies about. So if you hear someone shouting Boobs! when you're in the park this July it's not someone being rude or forward, its me chasing a mad black lab down

1 - 20 of 38 Posts