Labradors Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, it's me again with yet another silly question!!

About 10 minutes ago Rueben started barking in the back garden which is MOST unusual for him. He very rarely barks at anyone or anything. I went out into the garden and his hackles were right up (first time ever) and he was barking at our neighbour in his garden (although it's more like a rubbish tip)!!

I took him over to the hedge where there was a gap so he could see who was there. The guy even spoke to him and called him over but Rueben wouldn't leave my side, and just stood with his hackles up doing the deepest woof I've ever heard him do.

Any insights into why he would do this? He has never EVER reacted like this to anyone before. What did he sense I wonder, he certainly didn't like him one little bit!!

Anita & Rueben
xXx

·
Registered
846 Posts
Rolo does this if he is unsure and something makes him jump, i call it his protective bark, he does it when i come in from fire calls at night when i spook him, usually when he cant see something he does it

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, he couldn't see our neighbour to start with Paul so you may well be right and he was just spooked. I just thought that when I took him over to the man he'd do his usual waggle dance and go and see him for a fuss but he just barked and barked! It was certainly the deepest woof I've ever heard from him!!

Anita & Rueben
xXx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds just like he was spooked to me. However there are times when dogs just take an dislike to a person they have just met and will either avoid them or become defensive towards them.

Most of my dogs over the years have taken a sudden dislike/distrust of someone for no obvious reason and I tend to think they know/sense something I don't, so I don't push the issue.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The funny thing is, I know this man from my time years ago working at the local pub. Sober - friendly, drunk - he's incredibly violent and have seen him cause some nasty injuries. 8O Maybe he's got a sixth sense!! :lol:

Anita & Rueben
xXx

·
Premium Member
11,617 Posts
I agree with Jules.I think dogs do have a sense that tells them the person is to be feared.I always respect when a dog barks at someone for apparently no reason. :) :)

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
I would agree with your analogy of Rueben having a 6th sense Anita, I`d say he`s sensed the man is not a nice one, I thought that before reading your post on what he`s like.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ruby's like this with a slightly "odd" woman in town, Ruby isn't a barker, people normally get greeted with a waggy tail ( unless they are under 6 years old, then ruby avoids them like trhe plague)

Yet this one lady in town (who's rather odd, insists on talking to EVERYONE is related to the queen has 17 dogs, has a horse that lives in her garden, used to work for NASA etc) every time Ruby sees her she barks, even if she is on the other side of town and she will continue to bark until the lady has gone out of sight, often Ruby sees her before i do ( I'm quite glad it means i can escape before she sees me, she particularly likes to talk to people with children or animals!)

I literally cant stop her barking, talking, distraction, FOOD, nothing will stop her.

I used to humor the woman and talk for a few mo and then make an excuse and leave assuming shes probably lonely, but Ruby obviously knows something i don't, so i give her a VERY wide birth now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts