Labradors Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
have an 8 month old female lab that enjoys walks but she pulls quite alot. At the moment I am using a normal collar and I am thinking of getting a different collar because I am unable to control her as she is a strong dog. Any suggestions on the kind of colar that I would use?

Thanks,
:) [/quote]

G

·
My dog is very naughty.He is very strong,because he is so strong the lead was often pulled out of my hand.Thing have got better since I got a leather coller.I would recomend them. :D

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
hi..i have a 6year old black female lab i dont use a collar and lead i prefer the body harness and lead as you have much more control of the dog and she doesnt choke when she pulls..
clair :p

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi
Any dog will pull until taught otherwise. Not only because of their natural exuberance and desire to get to where they're going as quickly as possible :D , but a walk is not a natural gait for a dog, their natural pace is more of a loping (sp) trot.
If not already doing so, I'd enrol is some classes, and already mentioned on another thread, Kay Laurence's Walk with Me booklet has some great advice.
With regards to the headcollar or harness, both gentle leader and halti are good (but get your dog used to wearing it around the house first), I like the new halti harness, but bear in mind that a harness can give the dog something to pull against too.
HTH :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Max had a leather lead but during his first training session, he chewed through it and ran to the other end of the garden while his trainer was trying to explain how to walk him on the lead... :) Teeth of a tiger!!!! Lol!

He now wears a harness and lead and is doing really well, but I would definitely recommend getting a good quality padded harness which won't dig into his body. We tried a halti but Max hated having it on and used to spend his walk time rubbing his face on the floor trying to get it off.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Martingale Collars

I use the martingale collars on my 2 labs. They work quite well and I am pleased with the way they work. It beats having to switch collars when going outside for a walk although we're still learning to do that without pulling. They don't pull as much because of the choke effect although the collar is mostly web. I learned about them on a training video and they are reasonable priced and allow for growth so I don't have to contantly buy new collars for them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts