Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a good web site that has information on average weight and sizes as they grow. Murphy is a little small compared to other labs of his age 4 months 1 week, we feed tesco puppy food which is not designed for large breeds, tried complete foods, purina etc and it did not agree. We just want to keep an eye on his development as we have been recommended by another owner to put him on sythnocil a supplement/growth for puppies bones. We have real fun and games trying to weigh him on my scales penny :p

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi Penny
I think labdad posted a link on here a while ago, possibly to the woodhaven website. The problem with weight and size is that they all vary considerably. When you think an adult (not overweight) can weigh anything from 25 - 35 kg and the height and build will also vary considerably, and puppies tend to go through growth spurts. I tend to think the finger test is a much more reliable way of checking weight. I've not heard of sythnocil, do you know what it is? Is is a glucosamine supplement?
:)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Tip for weighing your dog on human scales - weigh yourself and then pick up the dog (if you can!) and weigh the two of you, then note the difference.

Just to add that Ruth (15 months) and Lottie (11 months) are both very small for labs - around 23kg, but perfectly proportioned :wink: .

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hi Penny

Best way of weighing Murphy is to weigh yourself then hold him while standing on the scales, deducting your weight from the total will tell you what he weighs

I personally would steer clear of supplements unless a medical condition exsisted that required them. Have you tried top of the range brand kibble foods such as James Wellbeloved or Burns? They contain all the nutrients a growing dog requires, are ethical companies and the food is palatable to most dogs. Try adding some gravy if Murphy isnt too keen

I wouldnt worry too much if he seems smaller then other Labs his age. Some just are smaller, more to do with genetics then nutrition. More important that he is good condition with a good appetite and plenty of energy

Cheers
Nigel

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hi
Normally puppies do not need supplements. If a reliable vet says a supplement is required, and they can explain their reasoning, OK. But Labs will grow and mature on their own provide they have the proper diet, exercise and care.

www.woodhavenlabs.com is a comprehensive site with lots of links to very good information. Use the site map as well as the articles.

Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts