Labradors Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are shortly going to be letting our pups go to their new homes. We only have them for another few weeks. I'd like to know what people had in their puppy packs that they thought was particularly good so that we can do the same for ours to get our pups off to the best start.

We are already including.
Breed notes, general dog owning advice,puppy sales/owniership contract, Food sample, food bowl, bedding shared by the litter and a chew toy. I've already put on my website information for the new owners as well to help them get ready.

If you had something I've missed that you found really useful please reply to this post.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Blimey - when we picked Charlie up, we collected his papers, a little food and Charlie himself!!!!

So, basically everything on your list is fantastic!! :D

G

·
hehe.. yes Oscar's pack was almost as non-existent at Charlies, so what you're suggesting sounds brilliant.

The other thing Oscar got to bring home was one of the cuddly toys the puppies had had in their pen with them (which he still sleeps with at night now.. aww :) )

But I have to say.. it STANK! :lol: :lol:

We managed to last a couple of days with it in the house, but as it was covered in everything all 6 puppies had produced over 8 weeks, I had to wash it after that!

Fortunately Osc loves the smell of washing powder and always gets really excited when I've washed his toys or blankets and has great fun running round with them :D

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Fortunately Osc loves the smell of washing powder and always gets really excited when I've washed his toys or blankets and has great fun running round with them
Hi Oscarchops,

I've got another fan of the smell of washing powder here, Brad loves any new, fresh bedding, or any fresh linen, i.e. towels. He sits or lies on them as soon as they are produced and drifts into a deep sleep! I guess their not such dirty boys afterall! :lol:

Julie

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
hi guys.
yep max is a fresh washing addict as well. if im daft enough (which for me is the norm :D) to leave it in reach of his chops its promply taken to his bed trampled, slobbered and drooled over.
guess who's doing the washing again :lol:

jane and max.

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Hi Guys,Dylan is'nt fussed if it's clean or dirty,he loves stealing dirty clothes from the machine but he will also take clean washing from the drier,after its cool though, as i have a habit of switching the drier off and walking away and doing something else.I'm not sure if his sense of smell is working properly yet,he has been doing this since he first came home but it's when he takes clean out and rolls in the garden with it i get annoyed.Lynne.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
On your contract, do your new owners sign, that for any reason they
have to part with the puppy, even as an older dog they come back to you first? I thoink this is a good idea, so that at least if anyone has to part with their beloved pet you know about it and are responsible to have it back if necessary .
Also have you put any endorsements on the registations? Just a few thoughts Meg. PS
I always think that giving a good sample of food you know at least the puppy will be fed the same food for a few days at least.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi labsandcats
Your puppy pack sounds great. A couple of other things that we got were a photo of Mum and Dad to keep and a five generation pedigree, not essential items but nice to have.
Clare

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will add photos - nice idea. We've been adding photos to our website regularly so that owners can check on their pups so printing a few wil be no problem. Should have put 5 gen pedigree on the list.
Megaloo our contract is on http://www.labsandcats.co.uk/puppy_sale_contract.htm
We have said that we want the pups/dogs back if there are any problems, primarily because we are getting enquiries all the time now and are in a better position to find a suitable new home. We haven't put endorsements on the registrations we've only sold to family homes and to people who have stated they have no intention of breeding, I might add an extra paragraph to the contract to that effect. I think in future we will add the standard endorsements. We are giving 2.5kg of food, no point giving a one or 2 meal sample.

Thanks - the pups go in 3 weeks so if anyone has more ideas I'd be grateful.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
In addition to the photos, a list of their achievements. Many new owners love to trace their pedigrees back.
Although I am sure you have vetted your potential buyers thoroughly, and they have said they aren't breeding, they may change their mind in the future. Endorsements won't stop them breeding obviously, but they will be unable to register any progeny, so making it less appealing. They can only be endorsed while they are in your possession (ie before they go to their new homes), and you will need to add something to your contract that states the new owners have know and have understood the implications of the endorsements. The KC have overturned them in the past, in cases where this has not been done.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I might get on to the kennel club to look into endorsements for this litter. We are only selling one bitch and she is going to people who we know well and who definitely will not breed from her. Is it as much of an issue with the boys?
Will definitely pass on the information we have about the pups ancestry.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I suspect it's not as common, but it can happen, and if it does it's likely to be a poor mating. If you think about it, anyone who owns a bitch good enough to be bred from is not going to go to the local dog down the road, they will seek out the best possible stud. Someone's intentions when they get the pup can change as they grow. They may have people tell them how wonderful he is etc. I have lost count of the number of times I have been asked if I am going to breed my boy, and have even had a couple of people interested. Fortunately, I know better, but many don't and many don't see a problem with breeding two pet dogs, particularly with a breed that is a relatively easy whelper, and tends to have large litters. They're not necessarily 'bad' puppy farmers either, sometimes, just don't realise what breeding entails.
Also, I would endorse that they are not to be exported - again, a fairly healthy trade to areas of the world where dogs are not given the same regards they are here.
I'm not saying that out of the 45,000+ lab pups registered that your pups will be the ones it happens to :D , I'm sure they will have lovely homes, but I would certainly want to cover every angle.
HTH
P.S. I know one breeder who puts a copy of 'The Perfect Puppy' in their puppy pack too.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Hi Labsandcats
I fully agree with lablover, one cannot be too careful when selling your puppies. People very often change their mind re not breeding etc. Also the export endorsement. You can easily have the endorsement lifted for someone who genuinely needs to take their dog abroad. But I knew of a friend who sold a puppy some years ago, to be told later that the same puppy eventually was exported to Japan. Also someone else found one of their breeding had ended up on a puppy farm in Wales as a stud dog. So it is always better to be safe rather than sorry.
This is a sad world we live in and it is not always possible to trust some people. Please do not think I am sounding alarm bells, but these things happen, I am sure this will not occur in your case, but there are none so strange as folks. All the best Meg

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
just don't realise what breeding entails
Does anyone? I did my research etc. over years, have lots of experience breeding other animals. Having pups is as hard as having kids!!

Appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Easy to say don't worry, Now I am!! It is like having 9 extra kids to worry about except your trusting them with someone else, its really hard to be sure but we've turned quite a lot of people away so I hope we've got it right. We just didn't let people visit if we weren't happy.

We'll get the endorsements done.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
just don't realise what breeding entails
I meant people who think female dog + male dog (throw some health tests in if they've read a bit, and think as long as there are no dogs on both sides they're ok) = pups.
It doesn't happen so much in other breeds, but in a popular breed like labs it happens a lot. You only have to look through the free ads, epupz and the like to see what I mean. I saw an advert recently saying the pups were from the well-known Kenmillone line :roll: (actually, if it wasn't live animals they were talking about it would be quite funny).

I believe in law, dogs are a commodity, so once they've gone to there new homes, it's up to the new owners. Just try to cover everything. One thing about endorsing them is that they can be lifted at a later date if need be. If by chance one of your pups does well in the ring and the owner wants to breed, they can come to you to get the endorsements lifted. Many breeders add into the contract the conditions in which they would lift endorsements - ie. after health tests and upon success in show / field.
You can only do so much anyway, but probably one of the best ways (in addition to all the other things) is to keep in touch with the new owners throughout the pups life.
HTH
PS forgot to mention that although there are no guarantees,by doing these things you are often eliminating those who may want to breed at a future date. I've seen ads which state 'kc registered - no endorsements'
as if its an advantage - and to some it may be - but they're probably the ones you don't want your pups to go to anyway.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts