Labradors Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a question for you...

Now i've read a variety of opinions on playing with tuggers etc. with your dogs... encourages aggression, dominance, good fun but stay in control etc. ..

I have to say i avoided this initially with Holly as she pounced and nipped too much, although hubbie did sneak in a few games and they both enjoyed (both kids really! :D )

Then at first puppy class, trainer reckons games of tug , ... great... suggested using a tugger on walks to help recall.. e.g. wave tugger while calling.

BUT Squeaky toys NO! NO! She reckons squeaky toys encourage doggies to bite prey and ... little children whose squeals resembles squeak 8O .. and left me feeling AAH what have i done? as Holly love to play fetch and chase after squeaky toys. So i almost put these away too!

However, i've come to conclusion that everything within moderation is okay. We keep toys like this for when we're playing with her, put them back in box at end and she is already responding to off with the tugger - with a treat of course!! :) I remember all dogs my parents had all played with squeakies and they were as soft as anything!

So just wondered what all your opinions are on this??

Shelley

·
Registered
16,475 Posts
Hi Shelly

Hershey has alsorts of toys tuggers loads of squealy toys his duck is is favorite he also loves empty 2litre coke bottles he makes such anoise with them. He has balls, teddy bears, hard rubber balls to chew on.. He is as soft as they come and he never bites children all he does to them is if they have food he swipes it out of there hands cos they are the right height for him cheeky boy hehehe :lol:

·
Registered
23 Posts
My two both love their Vortex Howler, it makes a wicked noise when you through it through the air and can travel some distance, they bring it back then take it away to chew it, so can be costly. You can get them on ebay about £10 I think. Havent bought one for a wee while cos Beth hasnt been up to lots of running around.

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
max has got both squeakys and tuggy toys. as you say every thing in moderation :D he loves chasing around after his squeakys all shapes and sizes and his tuggy ropes were a god send when he was teething. (freeze them over night) he has loads of balls all different textures to chew and chase.
the good old 2ltr pop bottles are always a fav :lol:

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Corbie's favourites are i-cubes and furry/punky critters. He even loves his critters now that the squeak has gone and even knows the difference when I get him to fetch either the punky critter or furry critter :lol:

He's got so many toys that he really needs a bigger toy box, thought the one I had got him was big enough!

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Furry/Punky Critters - thats a new one on me Karen! And Vortex Howler??Wow its hard enough keeping up with the kids new toys, now I see ill have to keep up with the latest in doggy toy fashion too :wink:

Holly is also a fan of empty bottles - such a cheap and cheerful distraction. Mind you she takes on the appearance of a mad hound when haring around the kithen after them!!

I think we 'll definitely continue letting Holly have her squeaky toys :D Just have to keep a bit hush hush about them at puppy class, make sure i take along something quieter! :wink:

Oh dear - class rebel already!

Shelley

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
the good old 2ltr pop bottles are always a fav

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Hi shelly

frodo can open a pet toy shop heer in mumbai seriouly i have most of the toys that one can get here in mumbai...after all my first child...Indulgence is pure Bliss.... :lol:

BUT the thing that drives him MADDD is PLASTIC BOTTLES.....Yes he joins hershey , max and Shadow in bottle mania... Lolz frodo infact runs to the security guards and steals their water bottles lolz.... they call him "Bottle Thief" hehehehe....

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Corbie's also had an empty 2 ltr bottle since he was little, and it's still going strong.. noisy though!

Punky and Furry Critters are brilliant - in Pets at Home for £3.99. Like a furry ball with a tail which has a squeaker in it! Here's a punky critter http://www.canineconcepts.co.uk/item--Punky-Critter--hdpc

Furry critter is the same but a plain cream colour. Corbie's both look dirty now, but always the first toys he gets in the morning!

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Hi Shelly,

Bailey has a bucket of various toys.............too many really but the lid stays on most of the time now so it's a real treat when they come out.

His favourite is a thin, squeaky face thing that he'll carry around with him everywhere if he had the chance. He takes it to his water bowl, out in the garden, into his bed and everything. He's never tried to destroy it and was the best £1 i ever spent!! :D

He too loves drinks bottles - i sometimes put half his dinner in them and put the lid on as tight as i can - still doesn't take him long to get it out though.

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
max has had two furry critters now. he goes mad playing with them for a couple of days and the rips them to pieces to get the ball out :lol:

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hi Shelly

My 2 have all kinds of toys varying from tuggers to squeaky toys and they love them all - its only recently that Charlie has decided that his plastic squeaky toys are as good as the furry ones, although balls remain a firm favourite with him!

Izzie loves anything small enough to carry around - Pets at Home do charity dogs that cost £2.99 and are really small - both my 2 go mad for these, even though they are not even dog toys!! :roll:

They also, like Corbie know the difference between their toys, and are even beginning to master the art of 'Putting them away' into their box at the end of the night...! :wink:

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Hi Shelly,

Baileybears dumb mum here!

I am sooooooooo sorry, I did scan down to see if anyone else had posted toy topic but my mind / eyes didn't register yours...I feel dreadful .sorry !
Forgive me :oops:
Rhoni & Tilly

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
OH!

Like to add that ' Leaveit ' ( Tilly ) has just chased a poor spider under TV and is now on sentry duty!

Where's that dyson..else I shan't sleep tonight !
Rhoni

·
Registered
880 Posts
vogue has a big pink/purple critter which is her special toy for when were out, she also has 2 mini critters which come into uni with me for her to play with in odd moments and to relax her, she really likes them although she's punctured the squeak in 1 mini one now, she also has a blue cat with 2 squeaks in it which she really likes, she has a raggy (tuggy) but she'll only plaay if i play with her, otherwise she leaves it alone, she likes tennis balls and she loves the snake which has 3 squeakers and used to have a bell rattle in the end, however she had a tug o war with it with Ullie which is when most of the stuffing came out!

anna

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
my dogs have squeaky annoying toys..lol..rope toys..balls..ME..rubber toys but all these last all of a week if im lucky except me of course...LOL..

·
Registered
196 Posts
Bridget likes any kind of toys, but her favourites are wooden sticks. She has a large collection, taken from the cedar trees. Regards,

Labrazil.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts