Labradors Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find myself as i first time LAb owner... worried about HD!!

And i worry about it all he time... looking at Winnie when he runs etc... but then i thought to myself last night!!

What are the signs... and why am i worrying if i dont know what to look for!! :roll:

So if someone could please let me know what the signs are that would be great!!

IS it just stiffness or is there something to look for another than lumping and stiffness??

Thanks

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
First a question for you Bella, is Winston limping or showing signs of stiffness after walks?, if not stop worrying about him, you are doing all the right things with his exercise etc and can do no more unless you wrap him in cotton wool and keep him in a drawer :D

I think that if we gave signs of what to look for you`d probably see it in your boy BUT I`ve not had experience of HD thankfully so I think you could either, rerad through some of the posts in the health section re HD or wait and see what members tell you here :)

G

·
You're not alone. I watch and look and follow Pickle about, just as I did with Mojo, Oyster and Una, looking for anything remotely abnormal. I have to give myself a good talking to at times, as I can become quite obsessed by their movement :roll: :lol: .

The trouble is they all move slightly differently anyway, even if there is nothing wrong with them. Mojo for example, trots with her bum end over to one side. When I first noticed this I had a major panic, then I noticed she alternates sides depending on the camber of the path :oops: :wink: . Oyster had very little control over her legs (they were sooooo long) and consequently they went in all directions all the time, with her often stumbling or tripping as she went. That worried me but she grew out of it :wink: . Una sort of waggled in the middle, like a lion cub and Pickle does the same. This worries me because it makes it look as if they are swinging their back legs along, rather than moving them forward from the hip. So there's me thinking they are stiff but then all of a sudden they sit down and their legs flap open wide, like they are bits of elastic, or they lay like a squashed frog, so their legs can't be stiff at all, in fact anything but :lol: .

I suppose because Mojo has ED I now watch movement much more closely, whereas I never even thought about it with my mongrels.

I don't think there are subtle, reliable signs of HD. I think you just need to watch out for any changes....so sudden stiffness/limping on rising, unwillingness to move, general lameness, etc.

Having Labrador puppies is a rather worrying occupation, I've found, even though most statistically are fine. :wink:

·
Administrator
21,513 Posts
DONT LOOK!!!!!!!

Labradors have some of the best hips of all dogs and lay something like 10th out of well over 200 breeds. They are THE top working gundog and would not be able to work if they were riddled with HD.

Problem with forums like LF is that people who have a Labrador with a problem google HD and Labradors and LF pops up, we we are always bound to have an unrepresentitive amount.

RELAX and enjoy. :D

Regards, John

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
I'd agree with Mary....if Winston isn't showing any signs of stiffness/lameness, then stop your worrying :D .

My Lucy was diagnosed with HD when she was 6 months old (rightly or wrongly), and it was pretty obvious to us that there was something up with her back left hip....i think you'd know if there was something wrong.

Hope Winnie is ok.... x

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I'm just the same! Any trip or odd step and I am convinced it is the onset of HD and then I realise he has trodden on a stone. I am trying to train myself to just let him enjoy himself - I know I am not overexercising him and unless something develops that does not go straight away I will not worry (well not much anyway!)

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ahhh this is good!! i worry as he runs into things... and runs all the time on our walks but yes i am doing everythign right... However i cant carry him up and down the stairs anymore which means he ONLY allowedd up on sundays!! :lol: as we read the paper in bed!! :lol:

I have notice... that Winston flicks his left back leg out when he runs but my OH and friend who is a vet said its his sig run!! and she told me to stop being so worried and if he did have it... then deal with it then. But ever since Winston came into my life in March... i cant help but worry... he means the world to me and i would hate for him to be in pain!!

But ill try (and like jules... give myself a talking too if i do) not to worry and just enjoy our walks etc instead of thinking... please calm down please calm, please be careful... where thats cotton wool!! And think go have fun... be a speedy bullet if you wish!! :lol:

Thanks for the replies i knwo im being silly really!

P.S - Just another thing... Winnie has clicky joints sometimes... ilike i do when i bend down!! :lol: Is this just part of growing or should i have him looked at?? I love LF alwasy so helpful!!

·
Registered
13,264 Posts
From someone who has first hand experience of HD ....................believe me you would know . Stop worrying and go enjoy your pupster :wink:

·
Registered
503 Posts
I've been the same with Paddy :roll:

His off-side back leg seems to lean inwards when he walks and I was fretting about HD for weeks when he was a pup. Kept it to myself though 'cos I never asked his breeder about health checks - I know, I know :oops: especially having previously owned a GSD whose parents had excellent hip scores. Never thought about it in relation to Labs TBH til I came on here 8O

Anyhoo, he's well passed his second birthday, no signs of stiffness or limping and runs like the devil (or tries to - his dumbo ears create quite a bit of drag :lol: ). Vet has no qualms and now neither do I.

As others have said, don't look for signs and enjoy your dog!

Patrick

·
Premium Member
15,716 Posts
From someone who has first hand experience of HD ....................believe me you would know . Stop worrying and go enjoy your pupster
I agree 100%. You really would know. It was obvious with Charlie at a young age.
I've watched Dudley's bum since the day I got him and every little movement he did that was a bit different scared me. He has a real swagger - bit like a bendy bus in the middle but I 'know' his hips are fine :wink: :wink:

Just enjoy him and stop watching !

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
I was in the exact same boat as you. I'd read a lot about HD and unduly scared the bejaysus out of myself! :roll:

Some of my earliest posts on LF were to do with worries about hips. I've had Bracks at the vets several times asking them to just have a look at her and tell me if they think there's anything wrong with her gait. Each time they've said to stop worrying! They agree she does walk/sit a bit funny at times, but assure me that when they feel all around her back-end that everything is fine.

Bracken was a very squiggly pup. She swung her hips when she walks (and still does a bit). It's only when she's trotting that her gait straightens out. She hasn't ever been lame though.

I tend to agree with the others. Try not to worry and if you're guilty of doing what I do, STOP reading up on HD :wink:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts