Labradors Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am making a list of all the things I will need for my lab puppy.

I am going to get a crate -

What's the best type - a metal one, or the soft fabric and mesh ones?

And what size do I need - will extra large be OK - I don't want to have to buy two, if she grows out of one!

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Well I have a metal one, and am lucky enough to have three in different sizes. DH got some bargains off ebay. We now have a second pup so have more than made our money back. Anyway we start with the smallest crate, which gives the pup enough room to turn around and sleep flat out with a little room to spare. You don't want to give them too much space as they might start soiling in there. But all the same you can get a larger crate, which you section off to make smaller for pup. I am not sure of the measurements etc, but am sure someone else will be along to give better advice soon. :D

·
Registered
233 Posts
I brought a 48 inch metal of ebay, like you i didn't want to buy one that he would grow out of and then have to by another, 48inch is the largest i think and will be big enough when Harvey is fully grown he will still be able to go in it with plenty of room.

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
I have a 48" for CJ but a 42" would be plenty big enoygh for a fully grown lab, its saves started with a small one and working your way up, you can block half of it off so that the pup won`t be able to use the other half as a toilet :)

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Alfie has a 42" which is amply big enough for a grown up lab. He went in it from the start and never messed in it - we covered the bottom of it with vet bed and this seemed to work.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
I bought a 42 or 48 ins crate for my pup, i didn;t section it off and Alfie has never used it as a loo.

Didn;t have the money to keep repalcing crates thata pup would outgrow quickly.

·
Premium Member
15,716 Posts
Mine was a 48" one and I'm glad we went for the biggest. We didn't section it off and he never toileted in it. It's the first time I've had a crate for a dog so wanted the biggest possible as I must admit I always felt guilty putting him in there.
He's 9.5 months and just been de-crated :lol: :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts