Labradors Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Just collected Barney from the kennels today (he was there 3 nights), asked if he was ok and the lady said yes but he certainly didn't like other male dogs being walked passed his kennel.

A few weeks ago when we were training for flyball barney was attatche d (not injured) by another entire male whilst he was stood at the side of me on the lead. Since that day he has his back up and barking madly at ever entire male.

Today when i got back from the kennels i took him straight out on his usual off lead walk and after 10 mins or so he spotted a border terrier, the man put him on the lead but barney was off and proper went for this dog, me running after, the man was fuming obviously i put myself in between (which i said i would never do) but i was really worried what Barney would do, the man was more concerned because he had a baby on his back in one of those frame things which i didn't notice at first. I eventually got Barney i apologised - i was so embrassed and upset, he give me the speech about controlling my dog!

In all i could have cried - WHAT has happened to my dog.

I left him on the lead for most of the walk, only letting him off for a swim, i was on pins for the rest of the walk.

Is this just a combination of being attatched himself, being 4 days in kennels, or has Barney now turned to Demon dog, only entire males he can't tolerate female are ok.

Any advice would be welcome.

Lesley & Barney

·
Registered
424 Posts
Hi, I'm sorry Barney was attacked and seems to be suffering still from it. This is a really tough situation as obviously it's not Barney's fault he has had some bad experiences. However, I can see the other side of it as well- Stan has been attacked by an off lead dog and I've been furious with the other person for letting their dog off lead. As I'm sure you were when Barney was attacked. I'm not as experienced as others with this kind of thing but I've always thought that if Stan started to behave aggressively, even if it is understandable why, I would keep him on lead, muzzled if necessary and seek out professional help. Otherwise it is a cycle of aggression that keeps going on, if you see what I mean, as other dogs may be affected by your dog attacking them. I'm not saying that you should do that but that is what I would do, although it is easy to say these things and so hard when confronted with the reality. I'm sure it must be hard for you to see him acting like this. Hope you sort things out x x

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Alba.

Just to stress that Barney HAD NEVER gone for a dog before today, yes he had barked and got his heckles up, usually because the other dog did it first, but today he was the attatcked,fortunatley to injury but frightening for all involved and i totally agree with the mans behaviour.

Yes i have been on the recieving end of a dog twice the last being the worst and that dogs owners were so apologetic that there dog has since been castrated. the other dog the owners couldn't care less and my husband followed them acros the park to give them a piece of his mind!

Lesley

·
Registered
424 Posts
Hi Lesley, I got the impression from your post that this was the first time it had happened, I hope I didn't come across as implying otherwise. I really do feel for you in this situation as it is so unfair that Barney has been affected by the aggression of other dogs and is now understandably afraid and reacting in the way he is. Since Stan was attacked by the alsation he is very wary of any dog that looks like that, he doesn't react aggressively, just hangs back and won't go near, but that is after just one incident which luckily didn't cause him any physical damage. Barney sounds like he is feeling very distressed, poor lad. I don't have any experience of handling this sort of thing, I just know what I would want to do- nip it in the bud as soon as possible, which for me would mean not giving him the chance to repeat the behaviour and getting help from a trainer/ behaviourist. Sorry I can't offer more help! Hope things work out, and you are feeling better after the shock today, it sounds like a horrible experience for you all x

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
Lesley I think you have recently used your dog at stud haven't you?

Quite often a change of behaviour to other males can occur after an entire dog has had a bitch or two.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes i have used him at stud twice.

But his excessive barking started after a collie went for him at flyball. I have heard that a dogs behaviour can hange after studding him.

So i don't know if today he was stir crazy after being in kennels?

So i will have to seriously monitor the situation.

But i am hoping it stems from this collie attack if so will get in touch with a pet behaviourist, to try and give him some confidence back.

Lesley

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
It would certainly be a good idea to let him get back to normal after his stay in kennels, but I just thought you should be aware that it could be linked to you using him at stud. You particularly mention him doing it at entire males and that tends to suggest it may be linked.

I hope you manage to get the problem sorted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts