Labradors Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to pick some experienced brains here. :p

First, what in your opinions, is the best shooting magazine to read from a beater's point of view?
I've looked on t'internet and there are quite a few magazines but a lot of them concentrate on guns and shooting which I won't be doing.
Is it worth getting one or two of the many books available? Can anyone suggest a book on beating?

Second, me and Hollie have been invited to a shoot at Thirsk (North Yorks) in October. :D
There will be 13 shooting days and all of them are on Fridays. I'll know later today when the first day is.
I can't make all the days this year because work gets in the way but it's been suggested that I should attend the first three days to get a proper idea of what's needed from me and Hollie.

I've been 'practising' with Hollie in the fields now the crops have been harvested and in my opinion :oops: , she's got good potential, I just hope I have. :p
She can see birds before I can and has flushed out the odd partridge and her whistle recall is pretty good.

I've got all the gear, coat, boots, hat, gloves, stick, etc. so I'm raring to go. :p

Although the lads can't be involved and they will have to stay at home, I'm quite looking forward to it. :lol:

·
Premium Member
17,439 Posts
Thought that Hollie had been invited along to model for a shooting magazine then!!!!

Sorry can't help - but how exciting!!!

·
Premium Member
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Luna-tic said:
Thought that Hollie had been invited along to model for a shooting magazine then!!!!
:lol: :lol:

It did read that way. :oops: I've changed the title. :p

PS: I've found NOBS

:D

·
Registered
552 Posts
Hi BushYakker,

Reccomend you get insured by BASC or some get some type of cover if you are beating.

As for mag's i get quite a few every month, and Like the shooting time's :wink:

Cheer's

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi wishing you a lovely first day, you will be hooked by the end of it. We sometimes get shooting times (when its not so thin looking) and also Shooting Gazette, i think this is the best one too. You can buy ST at any supermarket or newsagents but the SG you will prob need to go to WHS's.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Bob - I get the Shooting Times and Shooting Gazette plus other occasionally. Shooting times is a weekly and sometimes can only hold my attention for about 20 minutes in total. :? The Shooting Gazette is a superb publication for shooting and also for Gundog Competitions. The September edition, just out, has an article titled “10 Steps to Being the Perfect Beater”.

John

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
I like all of those mags listed above plus Sporting Gun, which has a gundog training section and some good bits on gamekeeping that you may be interested to read. In fact, it might be a nice idea to get yourself clued up on gamekeeping in general i.e. how a shoot is managed and run, as that will give you a better overall understanding - if you really want to know more then try gamekeeping by Jeremy Hobson. It's a small book and includes a chapter at the end about the Shoot Day. There's also a book called the NOBS Guide to Beating and Picking Up. I haven't got a copy but that might be worth looking into. You can buy it from their website. Agree that joining BASC is a very good idea, if only for the insurance cover as part of your membership :wink: .

·
Premium Member
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone. :D

I think I'll have a look at the Shooting Gazette.
I've also been reading someone else's The Field but there wasn't much info and a lot of adverts (although some interesting adverts :p ).

barney2007 said:
.....There's also a book called the NOBS Guide to Beating and Picking Up. I haven't got a copy but that might be worth looking into.
I've ordered the book from Amazon and I'm joining NOBs, they provide insurance as well.

PS: There is still one place left on the shoot if anyone in Yorkshire is interested in being a beater. :p

·
Administrator
20,996 Posts
Over the years I've brought them all, but now I get most of them free. :wink: I have to say Shooting Times, but as weekly it gets very expensive, (but it's one I get free so!!!!) But for my part, the one I buy is "Sporting Shooter" Yes there is gun items there but there are some good gamekeeping articles in there as well as gundog and vet articles. An interesting read!

Regards, John

·
Premium Member
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My and Hollie's first proper shoot day will be 16th October. :D The shoot site is nr Bylands Abbey nr Thirsk.

And a bit of good news is that I will be able to work 4 days a week during the 15 weeks of the shoot. That means I can make all the days. :D

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I'm sure you'll be fine Bob, looking forward to the write up, and pictures of course.

Noticed you'd joined NOBS, I keeping having a nosey in there, but I'm afraid that's not the forum it was a couple of years ago.

Good recommendation from JohnW, Sporting Shooter is probably the nearest to an "all round " magazine for our type of interests.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
monkeyboy said:
....Noticed you'd joined NOBS...
Andrew
Yep, and was mobbed by LF members. :lol: :lol:
I'd never seen or heard of NOBs before the other day. :roll:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts