Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, :)

We've read alot recently about lead training, and have got many useful tips. When it comes to leads and leashes though, which are the best to use?

Having looked around, there's all sorts of different ones to chose from.

Which lead do you use for your labrador and why?

At the moment, we use a flexi lead. We used to have a harness but now Bradley has grown to big for it!

·
Registered
124 Posts
We use a leather lead. It's 55 inches long, but its double ended, so you have half to size if you need to. (We always use it as a half size)
Because Yasmin is/was trained by the Guide Dogs, she is not taught to walk to heal. We are still in the process of teaching her to heal, but it can be hard work, especially if she's excited!
We were told that if she pulls, you must use the same command each time and if it does not improve, hook the lead over the head, so it acts like a sort of barrier. Hopefully that should prevent hard pulling!

Sorry if that is not explained very well! :?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi, Bradleysmum regarding the leads we use leather for both dogs leads seem to have to buy good quality leads and best for value in my opion is the leather leads
also the seem to be for amusing macy she likes to play with the clip on the end of the lead for ages
:p :p :p :p :p :p :p

·
Registered
286 Posts
Leads and collars

We use martingale style collars attached to different leads:
16' Flexi leads
Before Misty got ill I could use a doubler to walk them both on one lead. Since she got sick and cannot keep up with Jack, I can put Jack on a flexi which he then runs out full length. I snap the doubler over the flexi cord so it acts like a trolly line and she can move between me and where jack is independently. If Jack is forging ahead I can act like a brake.
For most walks we use 48" and 72" leads that have a handle loop at each end.

Close up of the martingale style collar can be viewed at www.picturetrail.com/labdad

·
Registered
241 Posts
We have Kane on a flexi lead at the moment. We used to have Alfie on a harness as well when he was a bit bigger as Andrea seemed to be able to control him that bit better...... 8)

The flexi lead allows us to keep close at hand when needed but allows him a bit of freedom where he can have it without the fear of him running away.

·
Registered
43 Posts
For training & showing in the Obed. ring I use a leather lead. It is easier on the hands. Around the house or out and about I may use a nylon lead, depends on which one i find first. A Flexi is fine for walking but for training you want one that keeps the dog near you. At the training club we have the beginning students use a 6 ft. lead. The sit, down, & stand for exam are done at the end of the 6 ft. lead. For the Obed. ring you just need a leash that will give you sufficient slack while heeling. This applies only for the Novice level. After you get past Novice your dog is not on lead while in the ring. I use a 1 ft. traffic lead to take Hunter into the ring. :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts