Labradors Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Had an enquiry today about studding with my dog, the customer said they where not KC registererd but belonged to The dog lovers association.

Not wanting to sound thick AGAIN, can any one in a nutshell explain to me about this association.

I did have a look on there site and it appears there are pedigree dogs and you do have to pay to join this site, so how recognoised is this association, you can also pay to advertise pups etc.

Any advice would be welcome please!!!!!!

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
I think its the one that place like dogs4us register their puppy farm pups, its basically worth absolutely nothing, its also known as the dog lovers register, dogs registered with them are not for showing.

Did you ask if she`d had all relevant health checks done on her bitch?

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
It is used when the pups cannot be KC registered ie when the bitch has had too many litters and KC will not allow registration or if the bitch is too young (ie under 1 year old 8O )and again KC would not allow registration of the pups

I would walk away, I have been told that people who do back to back breedings from their bitches us this method, I would not touch a dog with this 'registration' with a bargepole :(

You would have to ask yourself why are they not KC registered, it only costs £12 per pup :? I would also ask myself a lot of questions regarding the health tests the bitch has had :(

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes i did wonder why people would register with this site when you still had to pay, when you could pay a little more and register with KC.

They said that the breeder who sold them the said that dog association was the same as the KC!!!

The dog association i googled today was started in the 1990's and the KC well not sure but certainly a long time ago.

So i think i will take your advice and keep well away.

Lesley

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
It most definately is not the same as the KC, you can`t show a dog thats been registered with the dog lovers register.

The KC I believe was started around the 1890`s but not sure on that, someone else will know for certain I`m sure.

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Obviously it is up to you who you allow to use your dog at stud - the most important thing really being what health tests, if any have been done, and how they fit with your parameters.

I am not going to comment on an open forum, because I have heard they are not beyond slapping out the odd legal claim 8O

Needless to say however, it is worth asking the question if you wish to pursue this, why the bitch isn't registered with the KC.

_Linda_ said:
I would walk away, I have been told that people who do back to back breedings from their bitches us this method,
While I am not going to dispute any of the above advising caution - I would love to know where and how such rumours start.

The KC DO NOT presently have a blanket rule on registering pups from back to back litters, this rule only applies to licensed breeders. This is a bit of a nonsense because potentially, they are the ones who will own a number of breeding bitches and technically, unless they are a PF, don't have any reason for taking back to back litters.

Nevertheless, for most hobby / pet breeders, this ruling does not exist.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Dog Lovers/ Pet Lovers

HI

In my experience this tends to be used by people as said who can not or choose not to register with the KC - this may be because they origianlly did not have papers when they bought a dog and then choose to breed from it or what they are doing falls outside the permitted perameters of the KC.

It is either referred to as Dog Lovers or Sometimes Pet Lovers. It is in essence a pet database that anyone can join but does not guarantee parentage of any sort.

The objection I have (and this is not with the organisers who clearly are just running a business) it is with the people who use it - I have had MANY conversations with people who want to use dogs at stud or breed and have originally purchased Labradors registered with this organisation who TIME AND TIME again are told it is EXACTLY the same as the Kennel CLUB, IT IS NOT. Putting the parentage issue aside dogs can not be shown, worked or trailed in not KC registration. It depends on what the potential bitch owners wants to do with her puppies long term.

As previous said, the health check are the most important factor but I would ask the bitch owner many questions and get as much info before making your decision (it would be interesting to know what the bitch owner thought about the Dog Lovers - do they fully understand it - ot do they too think it is the KC?????)

Good Luck
Jo

1 - 11 of 11 Posts