Labradors Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what flea products you all use on your dogs?

We use frontline, the drops that you apply to the back of their necks. We do this once a month.

Also, how often do you use this product & is it good?

·
Registered
49 Posts
We use frontline as well. We first got it for our two cats and found it very effective and when we took Lucy for her innoculations the vet gave us a "puppy pack", which had a sachet of Frontline included.
I don't think you really need to use it once a month though, probably every six months or so would be enough, maybe more often if there are a lot of ticks in your area.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think you really need to use it once a month though, probably every six months or so would be enough, maybe more often if there are a lot of ticks in your area
Hi Marty_J,

I think you're right, we are in France, and due to a wide variety of different ticks here, our vet advised us to use frontline monthly. Maybe less in the winter months...

When we do get back to the UK, i'm not sure but i think the average is every 3 months?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I chose once a month but probably should have chosen "other" ..

We use Advantage and use it once a month from May to October .. We don't use it during the winter months ...

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Bradleysmum said:
I don't think you really need to use it once a month though, probably every six months or so would be enough, maybe more often if there are a lot of ticks in your area
Frontline is effective against fleas when applied every two months, but for protection against ticks needs to be applied monthly. It won't give protection for longer than two months though, and certainly not six months though.

I find it good, and personally, use it monthly during the summer months when ticks are more active and abundant and drop to once every two months during the winter.
HTH

·
Registered
129 Posts
i use frontline also on both suzy & macy every two months as directed by the vet
it is quick and simple stuff to apply and also use drontal worming tablets every 3 months
:p :p

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
fleas

hi. i took max to the vets when he was 9 weeks old for his first jabs and the vet strongly recommended frontline once a month. im a 55year old with a VERY active pup and find frontline very easy and quick to use

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Frontline will protect against fleas for two months, it only gives protection against ticks for one month. I use it monthly in the summer when ticks are active (I walk where there are a lot of deer), and drop to every two months during the winter (it’s not cheap so don’t see any point in using it monthly then :) ). Glad I checked on the site though, because I didn’t realise the spray lasts for three months. Might give the spray a go - it's very silly and probably totally illogical, but I've always felt slightly uncomfortable about putting a concentration of chemicals in one spot thats strong enough to cover the whole skin.
http://frontline.uk.merial.com/products/dogs/frontline.asp

·
Registered
80 Posts
the last post is spot-on.
no pun intended.

the 500ml spray is the most cost effective.

spot on is great but you do pay for the convenience.

Applying it to one area should not be worry - fipronil - tha active ingrediant only affects invertebrates so its very safe.

Frontline/advantage are by farthe best.

Does anyone use Program? It stops fleas breeding and used to be popular but not so anymore.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts