Labradors Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just wondered what anyone thought of chappie dry complete dog food, is it a good quality food , i've read that its good for sensitive tummies ?

julie

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Have never used the dry food, but the meat is certainly good for sensitive tums. I've given it to my dog who is epileptic and has - amongst other things - a very sensitive tum, and he has always tolerated it well and thrived on it.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I use Royal Canin on my dogs at the moment but I had a dog with a very sensitive tummy..........broke wind, frequently :Fade-color :Fade-color It worked a treat.

?

·
0 Posts
It's the tins of Chappie that Vets used to recommend for dogs with sensitive tums.

However, looking at the ingredients and make up of the dried food, I wouldn't have put it in the catergory of "Good" food. It seems to made up mostly of grain and vegetable derivitives (goodness only knows what vegetable derivitives are 8O ) and meat derivitives (so all the cruddy bits)....It also has preservatives in, which could be BHA and BHT... These have been linked to cancer. It doesn't actually state what the preservatives are and that makes me suspicious.

Personally I wouldn't feed it to mine for the simple reason that it doesn't contain enough protein or oil. I would have to feed huge amounts to keep the weight on mine at those levels.

·
Registered
10,127 Posts
I always have a few tins of Chappie in my larder for if any of the dog's get an upset tummy. I mix it with boiled rice to re-introduce food after starving for 24 hours and then feed it neat for another 24 hours and it seems to do the trick.

I have also fed it for a longer period of a couple of months when Ugo had giardia and salmonella and was really suffering with a sensitive tum.

BEcs and The Gang

·
Registered
13,264 Posts
My first lab had chappie (tins) for alot of his adult life after being really ill and he thrived on it . Haven't tried the dry and after reading what Jules said don't want to :wink:

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Morris has tins of Chappie, he has suffered from a sensitive tum and horrible poos for a very long time and this is the only food we have found that suits him. He was previously fed JWB, then Royal Canine but we know feed him this on our vets recomendation and it's done the trick for us.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
Zak likes a bit of chappie, and judging by how quickly it sells out in the shops so do a lot of others, but i am talking about tinned chappie, not the dried chappie, i dont like the sound of the ingredients in that

sheila and zak

·
Registered
9,913 Posts
Heidi has some teeth missing due to having them kicked out in the breeding kennels so shehas tinned food, i do find Chappie suits her the best.
It keeps her weight just right and her stool are perfect. She also has problems with her coat ( she had to be shaved as she was covered in urine burns) and now her coat is growing beautiful.

I have never used the dry food so can not comment on that

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Bess has a little bit of Chappie with her Dr Johns every couple of days to give her some variety, she loves it and looks great.

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Wow, lots of Chappie eaters then! Funny how the ingredients in the dry differ so much from the tins of the same brand! Lucy has never had any 'tinned' type food bar a few Pedigree Puppy pouches when she was little every now and then mixed in with her kibble. Now she just gets some pilchards mixed in twice a week for a bit of a treat/variety/keeps her coat glossy....but I am about to venture into the world of 'Whites' premium dry (as advertised across the top of LF) and have bought 2 x 15kg bags from Furbabies shop....so we'll see how that goes down, with all its natural goodness :D

·
Registered
388 Posts
We tried the dried chappie for molly a while back and it did firm her up to some degree but my god her wind was awful 8O After reading all this though im glad shes not on it anymore!

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Do the dry ingredients differ a great deal from the tinned Chappie? I have fed a few tins of Chappie in the past but not for many years and I thought from memory the ingredients sounded pretty similar, cereals, minimal meat, derivatives of xxx - does anyone have a tin of Chappie to hand?

I couldn't find a website from the company detailing ingredients but one link I found from someone who said they had a bag of the dry stuff said it stated BHA/BHT on the ingredients list :?

?

·
0 Posts
I've just dug out my "emergency" tin of Chappie ( It's out of date by over a year 8O I think I had better bin it :oops: :lol: ). It the Chicken and Rice variety....and these are the ingredients...

Fish and Fish Derivatives (min 14% white fish), Cereals (Min 4% rice), Meat and Animal Derivatives (Min 4% Chicken), Oils and Fat, Herbs and Minerals.

Edited because I can't type "derivatives" for some reason :lol: .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts