Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Our Bradley, who had his 1st birthday last month, is fed on Purina Pro Plan & is doing really well on it.

What do you feed your lab or labs and what made you choose this diet? :D

Regards,

Julie

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Corbie is on Autarky, which his breeder started him on. We kept him on it as it sounded very good for him, being a natural holistic dried food. He is doing really well on it and has never turned his nose up at it and has a lovely healthy, shiny coat.

Autarky is also one of the cheapest natural foods about - the puppy/junior 10kg costing £14 and the adult 15kg costing £14 also. It is also VAT free. :D

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Bailey's on Eukanuba.

He started on Beta puppy (from the breeder) but i was struggling to keep the weight on him. I then tried James Wellbeloved, then Europa and one from a local pet store but to no avail. He was losing so much weight and I was supplimenting his meals with rice in a desperate attempt to keep him as healthy as i could.

I finally tried him on Eukanuba and we've never looked back. He put the weight on slowly but effectively, his coat is lovely as are his teeth. He's been on it now about 12 months and is thriving.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I currently feed Burns (dry) and am very happy with it. Lovely condition, it tends to keep them on the lean side and no wind :wink: I also sometimes feed naturediet (wet) - and that always goes down well. :)

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hi everyone!

My 2 are fed on Chappie - half wet and half the dry food. The reason they have this is because Charlie had terrible troubles with his tummy when he was a pup and the vet recommended it and when Izzie came along she just ate what Charlie ate.... :)

They are both absolutely fine on it, shiny coats and perfect teeth. I was thinking about changing them onto Burns/Nature Diet because I have heard very good reports about these foods although because they are both healthy on Chappie I think it may be better to stick with the chappie......does anyone have any opionons? Would I be better changing their diet?

Sarah :D

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi Sarah
If they're both happy on it and you're happy with it, that's the most important thing.
I had a foster recently who had a sensitive tummy. He was fine on Chappie, fine on Naturediet, but did not get on with Burns.
The only problem with naturediet is it's not cheap - if you get it in bulk directly from the factory it's a lot cheaper.
HTH :)
Jenny

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hi Jenny

Thanks for your reply - its a relief to know that other dog owners dont simply think that Chappie is food for the devil - being a tinned dog food so many people turn their nose up at it, but it seems to work for my guys hence I would rather not change it unless I needed to!

Being in the line of work I am in I meet dog owners all day and we often talk about foods etc and loads of people say, ooh I would never feed my dogs tinned foods.....!! :?

So, thanks for reassuring me that I am not harming them at all!! :D

Sarah

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi Sarah
I would always recommend trying Chappie on dogs with a sensitive tummy. In fact, it's the food that vets used to recommend before they started selling all the science diets (at a commission :wink: ).
It's a perfectly good food.
Jenny :)

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Hi all

Smudge started off on Bakers Complete as this was what his breeder fed him.

However, when we took him to training, the trainer recommended switching from this as it contains a lot of additives and could be making him a bit hyper. She likened it to feeding a child on a constant diet of Smarties and SunnyD!

We changed over to James Wellbeloved after reading good things about it and we're still using it. Smudge seems to enjoy it and we're comforted by the fact that it contains the essentials, but not the additives.

His coat is better (less dandruff!) and he has calmed down a bit (though it could be due to him getting older). We certainly feel happier with this food anyway.

All the best,
Nic
X

PS. Our family dog was fed on Chappie all his adult life - and he thrived on it!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hi again

Thanks once more for your reassurance over Chappie - I will stick wiht it I think until they are no longer thriving on it....! :D Which will hopefully be never of course.....! :)

Sarah

·
Registered
880 Posts
vogue is on royal canin maxi adult, (for over 15 mths) and she seems to love it. Richey is currently on JWB lamb lite but his diet is under close scutiny at the moment, he was on pedigree lite dry food before and it gave him dry skin.
He likes his JWB but he likes anything, really anything.
anna

·
Registered
12,149 Posts
Hello all

I feed Ellie on Purina Beta Chicken and Rice puppy/junior
Coral because of her hip problems--- Gilpa Kennnel

Riva and Tara as they are outside living ina kennel and need a higher protein food, they get fed Gilpa Dr Johnsdaily, and raw tripe 2-4 times a week

All dogs get their daily dose of garlic aswell :p

Bye for now lol

Colette(Brighteye)

Bye for now

·
Registered
16,475 Posts
Hershey is on Bakers Light as he was told he needs to keep his weight stable after his leg injury and seeing as he doesnt walk for as long now days

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
Corbie is on Autarky, which his breeder started him on. We kept him on it as it sounded very good for him, being a natural holistic dried food. He is doing really well on it and has never turned his nose up at it and has a lovely healthy, shiny coat.
Hi Karen, where do you get Autarky? Is it online only or available through retailers etc? Thanks,

·
Registered
280 Posts
Well we feed Sashy on the Wagg Complete dry food, with a little water added. She doesnt eat as much grass as she did on her old food, and isnt sick anymore either. Thumbs up from me.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Hi all

I was thinking of mixing some wet food in for Smudge just for a bit of variety. I am encouraged by Chappie as our family dog had that all his life (not as much dried food around then!) and he loved it! The smell took a bit of getting used to though! lol!

Is Smudge ok to have this at 8 months? Have just been reading about it on PetPlanet and it seems to be very highly rated. Also, it is very reasonably priced and I know it's readily available at Supermarkets and the like.

All the best,
Nic
X

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi - Archie is fed on Eukanuba. He was on James Wellbeloved, but he seemed to take him all day to finish it. Since we changed he has been fine! We were giving him to him dry with some nature diet in with it and he loves it. One question I do have - does anyone soak their dogs dry food and how often do they feed them? Our breeder told us to soak the food until 6 months then give it to him dry and reduce it to one meal a day. He is now 8 months - and has one meal a day - and is ideal weight. This week Archie passed his bronze kennel club award (hurrah!) and the trainer and his wife (who has bred crufts champions) told us to soak his food and give him 2/3 in the morning and 1/3 in the evening. Also - if his poos are not firm enough chappie will do the trick - so always keep a tin in the cupboard just in case. What does everyone else do?

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Hi Archiesmum

First of all, congratulations to you and Archie on your award - fantastic news!

I was interested to see what you wrote about JWB and Archie taking a while to finish it. Smudge is like this with the Lamb and Rice one but gulps down the Turkey and Rice one. I will also bear in mind what you said about the Chappie for those 'runny' days!

It's so difficult to make a decision about all these foods isn't it? Everyone's lab seems to thrive on one or another for different reasons. I guess it's just a case of trial and error. I just want Smudgey to enjoy his food and to have nice firm you know whats! (sorry!)

I feed Smudge twice a day now and give him the same amount morning and evening.

All the best,
Nic
X

1 - 20 of 56 Posts