Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would ask...Earlier this year we made the decision to have a holiday in the UK due to our lab (Alfie who died @ the end of June aged 8 months) only being young. We rented a cottage in Scotalnd who accepted pets. I know my Mum & Dad also wanted us to go and visit them in Spain.

Just wasn't prepared to leave Alfie while he was so young..When Kane is a bit older may plan a trip to Spain overland to see his gran & grandad!! :p

What do people do? Take them with them? Kennels? Leave with a friend?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Holidays

Back in 1999 Wife and I took a two week holiday and traveled by train, leaving the Labs at home. Brother in Law lived next door and spoiled them rotten while I was absolutely miserable. Last time we have gone on holiday without them. In 2000 we took them to Obedience camp. The next two years we got a cabin in the woods.

Now that we live far from family we have not found a kennel that will spoil them as good as the BIL. This year went to a different part of the country and rented a cabin. You can see some pics at www.picturetrail.com/labdad.

To me, my Labs are my kids, and I want to be with them.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi labdad,

Have checked out your pix. Looks lovely. I agree with you & hopefully will be able to take Kane most times. It is just with my parents living in Spain now it is easier to jump on a plane & see them. This year we made the decision to spend time with Alfie. He passed away while on holiday & now we have Kane.

Next year I would like to go & visit my parents a bit more. I have a number of options.

1. Kennels that we find in the local phone book - probably not!
2. Kannels where we got Kane from will sometimes look after their former labs - Maybe
3. A mate from work has said we can leave Kane with him (They have a rescue greyhound!) - Preferred
4 Take Kane - The best option but will probably be the following year. Trip overland through France & down to Spain. Plenty of stops & taking our time. :p

What do other peope do?

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Take Kane with you, Bradley loves travelling. Its not hard to get a pet passport we have almost completed ours now ;)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Lol what a holiday god i not had i holiday outside of england since 1985 when my husband got the farm and since you cant take horses ,dogs away with you we decided to just have the odd weekend away when my brother take over the runnning of the farm and we have a few days rest but alwasy take the dogs
cant be away from them

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I need my times away doggylover, would go around the bend.

After my Dad being in the RAF for over 22 years & dragging us around & me spending 14 years in the army I am used to travelling. Always getting itchy feet!! :lol:

I think next year we are planning on getting over to Spain a couple of times to see my parents, hopefully leaving Kane with friend. We will probaby go back up to Scotland with Kane for a couple of weeks where we went before as it is lovely & there are so many walks... 8) The accomodation was spot on as well.

Then the following year the big road trip overland to Spain, taking our time through France...Will be picking Labadmin & Bradleysmum brains about vet cover, pet passports & the likes nearer the time...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts