Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any idea of what type of bones would be best to give our four and a half month old black lab? Our puppy class has said cooked or raw bones are fine, but to remove the marrow from raw bones first. Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
20,400 Posts
hmmmm cooked bones are NOT good as they splinter - I am surpised your trainign school recommended them??? I dont know if ALL cooked bones are bad but chicken is an absolute no no.

I use lamb shanks - buy them from supermarket fresh then strip them we have themeat Ruby has the bones - I take them away befoer she cracks into them though as swalowing bits of bone isnt good for pups. I have been givin Ruby bones for a few motnsh now so your pup wi be fine with lamb. Beef bones are a bit too hard for puppies as I understand

There little faces though when you give them a bone - all wide pupy eyes :p

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
i have given rosze raw bones since she was 5-6months it keeps them occupied for a bit and also stops them chewing something you dont want them to chew..lol.. she ate alll the yucky stuff inside the bone and she is fine so cant explain why they told you not to let him eat the marrow inside?

like vjh said NO WAY chicken bones very dangerous.

as long as the bone you have is large enough(pup cant swallow it whole) and does not splinter then you are ok but either way keep a eye on your pup just incase a piece does break off :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, the reason not to give the marrow was because it can cause havoc with the bowels - apparently!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi thought I would let you know we were at the vets on Thursday with Rooney and we asked about bones and she advised us that we should'nt be giving him any bones except from the ones you buy in pet shops(like the rawhide etc),she said any bone can splinter,don't know if thats true or not :!:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts