Labradors Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not sure if i should put this in here of in the behaviour section :?

i'd just like to know what the signs of a phantom are as poppy is not quite herself at the mo. she's whining alot for no apparent reason, she's quite a vocal dog generally but she's whining far more than she normally does. she's digging in her bed something chronic of an evening, she digs and goes round and round until everything is just so :roll: her tummy also seems quite saggy but it might have been like that before, i can't really remember :oops:

she's currently curled up in bed with one of her large toys

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Jess has just had a phantom and displayed what you have mentioned above. Her nipples were enlarged and she was leaking a small amount of milky discharge. She was either very clingly or cuddled up with all her toys, extremely whingy ! Digging in her bed aswell. And generally just very off.

The advice I got on here was to jolly her out of it. So I cut her food a little, increased her exercise, took away all her cuddly toys, gave her extra little one on one training sessions and Sherry (blypark) recommended Rasberry Leaf which I gave her. Once I'd done the above she sort of snapped out of it within a few days !

Hope that helps !

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
coming downstairs in the morning to find the 2 boys lying in their hard plastic beds and Gladys in the middle of the room on top of 3 vet beds!

She also got very clingy with me, especially when other dogs were around, off her food and generally a bit listless

Lorna

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, thank you :D

where would i be able to get raspberry leaf from?

what's the reasoning for cutting her food?

i haven't yet taken her cuddly toys off her, i'll do that later when my hubby is about to distract her :wink:

i've just tried playing with her, she wasn't that interested but played a bit just to humour me then took her rubber chicken and new rubber duck - that i'd just got out to excite and interest her - into her bed, licked them and then bit later started whining again :roll:

i will do some more training and playing with her in a bit see if i can muster up some enthusiasm from her :roll:

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I got Rasberry Leaf straight from the local chemist !

The cutting of food and more exercise just helps to apparently snap them out of the whole feeling down in the dumps/hormonal mind set - Im sure someone with far more experience will be along to give you more info though.

·
Premium Member
17,439 Posts
coming downstairs in the morning to find the 2 boys lying in their hard plastic beds and Gladys in the middle of the room on top of 3 vet beds!
Sorry to interrupt thread! This made me chuckle. When taking care of friends 2 male labs heard the sounds of a party downstairs after lights out and found Luna rearranging dog bed cushions to her liking on the sofa. Her boyfriend running in circles with a toy in his mouth and the older 'fun police' dog pleading at the door for rescue!!! Who says males are more likely to be dominant!!!!????

Hope Poppy bounces back to normal soon - the pheasants will be missing her!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Luna-tic said:
Sorry to interrupt thread! This made me chuckle. When taking care of friends 2 male labs heard the sounds of a party downstairs after lights out and found Luna rearranging dog bed cushions to her liking on the sofa. Her boyfriend running in circles with a toy in his mouth and the older 'fun police' dog pleading at the door for rescue!!! Who says males are more likely to be dominant!!!!????

Hope Poppy bounces back to normal soon - the pheasants will be missing her!
lol :lol:

i'm sure the wildlife of north norfolk won't miss her at all :lol:

is the raspberry leaf in tablet form? and how much do i give her?

took her toys off her when my husband was around to distract her, but before that happened she had taken 2 of them outside and was whining at them, was a heart wrenching sound :( since we've taken them off her though there hasn't been as much whining.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Yep tablet form and I think its 1/2 3 times a day - You should be able to check onlinr though as obviously the tablets may be differenet sizes.

Glad your having a little luck with the whining !! She should be back to normal in a few days.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
We've had to take Indy's Kong Wubba away today as she was getting possessive over it. For some reason she's knackered today and chewed a big hole in the curtain overnight...

Sounds like the pair of them are having a tough time of it!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
poor indy.

poppy was exhausted yesterday too, she didn't have much of a walk in the evening as she was really playing up - hasn't been like that for months so i'm putting that down to hormones- but she just flaked out for the rest of the evening when she got home :roll: no curtain chewing or possessiveness though, although she did keep licking and looking at her rubber chicken as if she was thinking "aren't you real yet!" :roll:

·
Registered
13,264 Posts
Was told to give raspberry leaf on first day of season and right through for it to help with phantoms. So not sure if would be any help when already having one .

Am sure others will be along with advice :wink:

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
Well certainly that is what I do Marie for bitches who have had a phantom previously it is best to give them Raspberry Leaf tablets right from the start of there season.

For bitches already in the middle of a phantom I use Skullcap & Valerian tablets (from Dorwest Herbs).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts