Labradors Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read a few threads on here with regard to neutering male dogs and also the LF article which have all been very informative. Would just like some opinions and advice from some of you more experienced members.

What is the best age to neuter a male dog? I have read anything from 6 months (which Rueben is now) to 18 months. I think my vet recommends about a year old but will do it younger if we want. Are there any benefits from having him done when younger as opposed to older?

Also, from what I can tell spaying a female is a much more major operation than neutering a male? Am I right in thinking this? What is the recovery time after having a male dog neutered? I just think if I took Rueben in now and then he had to rest for an extended period of time I have no idea how I'd do that!! He is SO lively at the moment, I'd probably have to tie him down to stop him leaping about!!

Sorry for all the questions again guys but with this being my first pup I don't want to get it wrong!

Thanks

Anita & Rueben
xXx

·
Registered
9,913 Posts
I personally think anything around the 12 -18months mark is ideal, it gives the dog chance to grow up and devolp correctly.

i wont get Chester or Bailey done nor did i get my other boys done till 18 months and we have only ever good results from nuetering.

I have taken many dogs in to be nuetered ( foster dogs) and most are fine from the moment they get back in the car hehe.

We keep them on the lead until stitch are out then they are back to normal. it really doesnt effect them to much.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice Denise.

I am inclined to go with our vet who says wait until he's a year old, possibly even 18 months. However, my friend (who has a chocolate lab 3 weeks younger than Rueben) goes to a vet just up the road from ours and she's been advised to get him done at 6 months old. I wonder why their opinions differ so much, that's a huge difference!

Thanks for the info!

Anita & Rueben
xXx

·
Registered
480 Posts
Troy was done at about 21 months. We wanted him doing before that and had booked him in twice, but due to his health issues he managed to avoid the op. Then when he was done he had a few complications. The vet said it was typical it had to be Troy. In all the years she has been a vet she had never had a problem like she did with him! When we finally brought him home (he had to stay in the emergency vets overnight) he was absolutely fine. His back end looked a complete mess, but he wasn't bothered at all.

The only reason I would have wanted him neutering a bit younger is because he still has a habit of trying to mount certain dogs (usually other labs and german shepherds). I wonder if he has just got into the habit of it now :roll:

·
Registered
29,722 Posts
From experience I would definitely advise waiting until your boy has matured both physically and mentally, so around the 18 month mark.

In my experience there are no benefits for neutering early (unless of course its for a medical reason) and I believe that some of the training issues we have experienced with Danny were due to him being castrated at such a young age (6 months) before he'd been allowed to mature.

In terms of recovery, obviously each dog is different and will recover at its own rate. Danny for example was bouncing around when we picked him up from the vets (even after the GA) and we had quite a job keeping him on "calm lead walks" for the recommended 10 days after the operation. I have known other dogs to be slightly fuzzy and quiet for a day or two after the operation as the aneasthetic can take time to wear off and them begin to feel "normal" again.

HTH :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
However, my friend (who has a chocolate lab 3 weeks younger than Rueben) goes to a vet just up the road from ours and she's been advised to get him done at 6 months old.
I know my friend was told to get his GSD castrated at 5-6 months old by his vet and on questioning why so early, the vet said it stopped any bad sexually orientated habits developing and mentioned something about it being no good shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted. So the dog was done at 6 months old.

I do think it's wrong that the vet didn't mention the down sides of having it done early, as I feel you should be able to make a fully informed decision myself.

Have a read through this link so you know the pro's and con's.

http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongTermHealthEffectsOfSpayNeuterInDogs.pdf

[/quote]

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
_anita_ said:
I am inclined to go with our vet who says wait until he's a year old, possibly even 18 months.
AMEN to that - a sensible vet :D Hang onto them, they are few and far between these days.

Sometimes there are situational reasons for neutering dogs early - but these excepted, personally I would leave it until they are fully mature - around 12 to 18 months. With my two boys, Zac was almost definitely fully mature by the time he was 8 or 9 months - c*cking his leg at 4 months 8O Conversely, Moz is coming up for 10 months and hasn't realised he is different to the girls yet 8O

There are I understand increased health risks in dogs from neutering too early - although there are situations in which it can become necessary - and only you can decide if this is you.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Everybody has really varied views on age to neuter. I personally had my boy done at about 7 months old and have never had any regrets. He has matured and grown as normal. I know a friend whos dog was nautered by a rescue center at 4 months old, again this dog has matured nicely and has absolutely no problems atall.

However, I'd always be inclined to go with your own vets advice! So if he's saying a year old then i'd go with that.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't think he needs to be neutered yet, it was just after my conversation with my friend I was at a loss to why one vet would recommend 6 months and another 12-18 months!!

I love my vet (as does Rueben) so am very confident in taking his advice. He's been brilliant right from the word go.

I do have another question though following some of your replies. Many of you mention waiting until the dog is mature, and the time scale seems to vary. How do I know when he is mature? Will he start bringing home girlfriends, start calling me anita instead of mum, want to move out? lol :wink:

Thanks again to everyone. Fantastic advice as always!

Anita & Rueben
xXx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
_anita_ said:
How do I know when he is mature? Will he start bringing home girlfriends, start calling me anita instead of mum, want to move out? lol :wink:
Sorry I don't know the answer but the above made me chuckle :lol: :lol: :lol: .

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
_anita_ said:
How do I know when he is mature? Will he start bringing home girlfriends, start calling me anita instead of mum, want to move out? lol :wink:

Anita & Rueben
xXx
LMAO, that made me laugh too, if he does start bringing girls home you can gaurantee you won`t think any of them are good enough for your boy :wink: :lol: :lol:

I was advised by a breeder that around 18 months is the right time to allow them to mature fully (or as fully as a lab will mature :lol: ), CJ was done at 11 months because the vet told me that`d calm him down, this isn`t the case and definately wasn`t in his :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts