Labradors Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Just wondered at what age our dogs are considered teenagers ? Do they have hormonal changes and if so does this have a impact on behaviour ? Thanks

Claire x

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
Not sure there is an actual 'teenage' phase but I found mine were most teenagerish (if that's a word!!) roughly between 9-18 months. I am not sure how much was hormone related as both spayed in middle of this age bracket.

I think it was more to do with their confidence growing and being less dependent on me. So this meant that recall became a bit hit and miss depending if something more exciting appeared :roll: (Ruby did go AWOL on a few occasions !) they would also wander a bit further away from me on walks and pushed boundaries with behaviour. Ruby was particularly bad at jumping up and mouthing me to get attention.

By the age of 2 both seemed to settled and matured nicely :D

Chloe

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I'm not an expert, but from my readings it varies per breed and dog. It can start around 6 months and last to 18 months or more. Labs have a reputation for maturing later, like 2yo.

They become teenagers when they get to sexual maturity, females going into season and males getting surge of testosterone and can start scent marking, humping, chasing the ladies, etc.

How it affects their behaviour I suppose will vary greatly on the dog, the training they've had, etc.

In my case, we had a phase around 8months where Cooper was starting to run away and ignore me. He would also ignore commands, i.e. pretend not to know what I meant by 'sit', etc. So I just pretend he had a lapse in memory, took my treats out and went back to basics - trying to remind him how FUN it is to stay close to me and listen to me. Since then I haven't had any issue.

Neutering I've been told can help with behaviours caused by the hormones, but it needs to be done before the 'bad' behaviours (like scent marking or humping) are ingrained because after that they are a habit and difficult to get rid of.

Cooper hasn't been neutered yet (11months), because I've decided to wait a little longer, possibly looking to do it this summer when he's around 15-16months old.

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
Tatze is eleven months and a real teenager.

Her recall is still excellent (she was playing with six pooches today and recalled brilliantly). She's brill in every way on walks.

But at home she is willful! She wants to play with my cushions and steals them at every opportunity (I have never let her play with them) If I lean on a cushion she stares at me and barks because she wants it!

She's a total terror with her best friend Zaba. She's great on walks with him, but indoors she's a bully. She wants to play 24/7, humps him and generally won't leave him alone. He is 6 kilos heavier than her but never once tells her off.

He is coming to stay at the beginning of June for two weeks. She will have had her spay at the end of this month - so I just hope that calms her down!

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bruce is coming up 11 months and over the past week or so has started being a little git so hopefully it's his age . He's not doing anything major but is demanding more attention and becoming very whiney when he doesn't get it . He's started pulling on the lead which is something he rarely did so have gone back to basics with that one and he's also deaf unless I have a treat in my hand :roll: . Recall is more miss than hit at the moment and he's becoming scared of random objects like planes flying overhead . He's not neutered yet and tbh I'm not in a rush to do because he doesn't scent mark excessively and he's never humped anything so I'd rather wait till he's a bit older unless he starts being a pest and humping everything in sight before then

:D

Claire x

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
It's really interesting what you have both said about barking for a cushion or whining and barking for attention. Cooper does it too, but I hadn't put it down to him being a 'teenager', just a needy pup! I try as much as I can not to give in and will wait until he is calm, quiet, lying down to talk him for a walk, play or give him his dinner.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Chewy is 1 year old and often acts like a moody teenager. She paces round and throws herself down with big dramatic sighs and has sulks. Sometimes if you tell her to do something she doesn't want to do she does this funny groaning noise.
"Come on Chewy, in your bed."
*groan*
"Come on Chewy come downstairs"
*groan*
"Time to come inside"
*groan*

It's very funny. But sometimes she still acts like a big puppy. I love her character and her funny moods. I almost don't want her to grow up and settle down!

·
Administrator
20,709 Posts
If anyone asks, "At what age does a Labrador become an adult?" The answer is, probably about a week before it dies of old age. Although in the case of my old "Big Bad Beth" it was several years after that point.

John :lol:

·
Registered
674 Posts
Haha that has made me laugh John and I hope its true!

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bruce groans to when he's told to do something he doesn't want to and it always makes me laugh . He tries to cheat as well when we are practising things like lie down by just dipping his head and thinking that will do . We've just been out for a walk and in the distance there was a man with his two labradors who we know well and regularly walk with so I decided this was a ideal time to practice his off lead heel . Of course Bruce heeled beautifully till I had dished out a treat then went racing ahead to greet them . The whole time he was looking back at me with his tounge hanging out and flapping all over and I could have sworn he was laughing at me .
John big bad Beth sounds like a right character I hope Bruce has half her spirit

Claire x

·
Administrator
20,709 Posts
"Big Bad Beth" died in 1998 but shes still jumping around! I have to straighten the painting of her which hangs over my computer virtually every morning! OK, I guess the cord it hangs by is a little near the centre of balance and it's the vibration from lorries passing by that causes it, but to me it will always be my "Big Bad Beth" bouncing around as usual. I get up in the morning, see the painting crocked and think, "All's well in the world!"

John :D

·
Administrator
20,709 Posts
Beth was a "Larger than life" dog Claire. She was damn hard work in her younger days, but life with her was never dull! I've been lucky and had some wonderful dogs over the years, everyone different but I would not change a thing about any of them.

Regards, John

·
Premium Member
3,170 Posts
My Cassie and Sophie were young adults approx. 14 years ago!!!

The rumour was then that chocolates were untrainable :roll: "I did me best" - - they would recall to a whistle, Sophie immediately, with a mouthful of poo!!! and Cassie a sec later when she had gobbled the rest!!!!

Then when the internet was available I found out that perhaps it could be spaying them before the first season, which maybe it was.

Then I found LF which is what I call "the Knowledge" and realised that I had "done me best"!!!

They were my "kidults", there bodies grew old but never their brains!!!! and, I must admit, I loved every minute of it because they were just like ME!!! luv from Chel the "Kidult" :wink: xxx

Chel and Dilys xxx

·
Registered
385 Posts
Homer will be two in May, he still gets stroppy and difinately likes to get his own way. From about 9 - 18 months he was a bit of a handful, wanting to hump almost every othe dog on the path, and jumping up onto me and P and having mad dog moments. In the last few months he has calmed down quite a bit. He will still run around the house with a sock in his mouth refusing to give it up and can be quite demanding if he thinks he deserves an extra treat.

I found a comparison list for dog ages, 6 months - 10 years, 1 year - 15 years and 2 years - 24 years. The list goes on but I'm hopeless at posting images on this site.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This has been a very reassuring read! Oscar is 8 months and has been brilliant with his training but just this past week started to be a bit of a pain pulling on the lead and being a bit hit and miss with his recalls. Knowing that this is normal behaviour I'd good :) knowing that we will have this for the next twelve months, not so good lol.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts