Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Jessie is 7 months old now and has been crate trained since the day she came home with us. Her crate is down stairs, she sleeps in it all night, goes in it when we go out, the door is always open when we are home and she goes in and out of it as she likes when we are here. She has been toilet trained since the first few weeks of coming home with us.

My question is at what age do you start to get rid of the crate? I know she is too young at the moment, I dread to think what would have happened to the skirtingboards if I left her out of it when I went out for a few hours :lol: But I was wondering at what age did everyone else start leaving them out of the crate at first and then what age did they get rid of the crate completely?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Hi there

First of all, congratulations on your successful housetraining so far - it sounds like your crate has been really helpful. And coming from someone who has not used one, I can assure you that they really do love those skirting boards! lol! (I'm hoping ours will be easy to repair eventually!).

I could not find anything to say what age to remove the crate - in fact most of the links I found seemed to suggest you could use it for as long as you wanted. Here are the links I found which I hope you find helpful:-

http://www.inkabijou.co.uk/puppy.htm

http://www.dogstuff.info/crate_training_schedule_riley.html

http://www.goboxerrescue.com/articles/training/crate.htm

All the best to you and of course Jessie!

Nicola.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi Jessie,
Our own choc Lab came out of her crate at 4 months and she actually took a while to get used to sleeping in the kitchen, she wanted to go back in her crate all the time! I took this as a good sign regarding crates which I used to dislike. She never did any damage once out the crate at all. When our older guide dog puppy Lab was 5 months she had to go in a crate for a few months as she started being destructive and our current guide dog pup just came out of her crate at 5 months. So, I guess what I think is that it depends on the pup, but as a puppywalker we're advised to try and stop using the crate by 6 months unless the pup is very destructive.
Clare

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi,
I stopped using my crate at around 4 months, Have you thought of trying a kong or something simular while you are out? I found this very useful as you can fill it with something hard to get out and it keeps them busy for ages. It works for my dog benson and luckly he has not chewed or destroyed anything (yet)! Just remember that the food in the kong will affect what you normally feed, so you may have to reduce this so as not to over feed her.

Good Luck

cristina

·
Registered
364 Posts
Harvey is 5 months old and it hadnt occured to me to stop using the crate yet. He is happy sleeping in it, it stops him chasing the cats in the night and prevents him from eating the house!

Its designed for a full size Lab so I cant see any reason why I should be in a hurry to stop using it .. but I'm sure someone will give me a few :wink:

Cheers
Nigel

·
Registered
54 Posts
Max is 5 months 1 week and he is still using a crate. Like NigelB we bought one large enough to house a full sized lab and seen as Max is happy sleeping in it at night i'm in no hurry to take him out of it (I want to save as much of the wood in the house as possible :) )

Max treats it very much as his space, he goes in and out throughout the day and in particular likes to pick up his toys and store them in there when i'm vacuuming ... lol!!! I think he thinks the dyson is not just after his fallen hair... another favourite is to take any edible chews in there to munch as well as any shoes or other things he shouldn't have... the little :evil: lol!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi Jessie

This is a question we were wondering about too.

A friend of ours has a dog that was rehomed from kennels (not a lab) and he was terrible for chewing. Ever since he has been in a crate. He is now a few years old but considers the crate as his home and likes to go in (away from the cat I think :lol: ).

We got a crate for Barney when he was about 12 weeks or so because that's when he started chewing - he treats his as his "den" and goes in there when he's tired or if he's been scolded for anything he goes in there to sulk, not that we've ever told him to do that. On the whole, its Barney's space where we know he's safe from harm and can do no damage to himself or the house :lol: Be interesting to see what others think.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts