Labradors Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I've not posted much about Ruby lately, but I've not wanted to jinx her good progress. Just had to mention this, though. OH and I took her over to the St. Ives Estate again. Last time we went (earlier in the year) we couldn't walk her far, and she was kept on the lead all the time. Today, though, we walked her into the woods and let her off the lead, and it was lovely to be able to do so. She came back to us every time we called her, apart from one occasion where she saw some Jack Russells and went running after them. Unfortunately for her, one of them was a snappy little thing and she got a bit of a shock! I think it might have taught her a brief lesson that not all dogs are friendly and want to play!

Anyway, the reason for posting is that as we walked back with her, there was a chap coming towards us with an older labrador, which was on a lead and muzzled. I was concerned about Ruby making a run for him, so OH called her and put her on the lead. As we passed each other, the dogs had a sniff and the man said 'that was very good!' When I asked what he meant he said 'her recall - very good! Wish mine would do that!'

I was so chuffed! Her recall's been patchy recently, to say the least, but I really do feel we've made a breakthrough in the last few days and to have a complete stranger make such a positive and nice comment about it was just lovely. OH and I are off all week this week, so I'm hoping we can do more walks with her off-lead to carry on the good work! And I'll be sure to comment myself if I see someone's dog doing something really well - you never know when it's going to cheer up a stranger, as that comment did to me today :)

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Aww well done you and Ruby!!

It's the little things that count isn't it? :D

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Definitely. It just gave me such a boost, and I was really proud of her.

·
Registered
10,913 Posts
awwwwh how fab!!!

You can't really know if you have a good recall till you practice like that.... so its good to practice :)

I think we need some new photos too ;)

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
yay well done, sounds as if all your hard work is paying off..I love it when you get a result :D

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Feebarn said:
awwwwh how fab!!!

You can't really know if you have a good recall till you practice like that.... so its good to practice :)

I think we need some new photos too ;)
Heh. I'll do my best on the photo front. Have been taking the camera out less these days as it's either been me on my own with her or the weather's been grim!

And you're right about the practice. My problem is that when I'm on my own with her, I lack confidence, so tend to just put her back on the lead if I see people or dogs approaching. The past few times I've been with OH it's been a lot easier as he's much more relaxed about it all than me. I need to learn to just let her go and hope she'll come back :)

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lincolnsmum said:
yay well done, sounds as if all your hard work is paying off..I love it when you get a result :D
Thanks Roz. It was just so nice that a stranger randomly commented on it - made me think 'well he didn't have to say that' so she obviously must have impressed him. Mind, we did tell him we were having a 'good' day with her today and she's not always so obedient! :)

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Thats great, as with all things people are quick to voice displeasure, it would be nice if more people were like that gentleman :D

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
_Mary_ said:
Thats great, as with all things people are quick to voice displeasure, it would be nice if more people were like that gentleman :D
Indeed. You never know what positive effects a passing (positive) comment can have on people!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Ruby

Clever girl Ruby and very well done. It does give you a boost when someone comments on your dogs good behaviour.

·
Premium Member
17,439 Posts
I've just found a wonderful country park 10mins drive down road. It has big dog off leash area and to be honest most of the other areas on a Sunday afternoon had dogs off leash. All friendly or emitting a leave me alone vibe so Luna had a hoot!!!

Is there anywhere like that near you?

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Luna-tic said:
I've just found a wonderful country park 10mins drive down road. It has big dog off leash area and to be honest most of the other areas on a Sunday afternoon had dogs off leash. All friendly or emitting a leave me alone vibe so Luna had a hoot!!!

Is there anywhere like that near you?
There's nowhere that i'm aware of with a 'dogs off leash' area, but St. Ives Estate is very popular with dog walkers and most of the ones we saw today had their dogs off the lead on the track where we were walking. It's the same up at our local park. If I see someone approaching with their dog on the lead, I make sure to put Ruby on hers unless they say or signal otherwise.

·
Premium Member
17,439 Posts
The more she's off and ok the more confident you'll get! I couldn't believe today that I let Luna off lead in an arena surrounded by other people and dogs and food to 'have a go' at an agility course!!!

She ran off to say hi to the opposition 'competitor' (the demo winner!!!) but came straight back and stayed with me!!! Her distraction technique caused chaos for the 'opposition' so we beat the demonstration winner!!!! :wink: So proud! She'd been itching to go through the tunnel since it'd been set up so I think seeing her focused and eager throughout the demo gave me the confidence to let her off lead - I didn't really question whether I should or not! She likes tunnels and would've got in a mess with a leash attached!

Since moving back to the UK our entire walks can now be off leash and I still feel so proud (and thankful!) that we come home together!! She must like me!!!! :D

·
Premium Member
14,224 Posts
Aww thats brilliant - its lovely when people notice nice things about your dog!!!

Eve Neo and Bramble

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Luna-tic said:
Since moving back to the UK our entire walks can now be off leash and I still feel so proud (and thankful!) that we come home together!! She must like me!!!! :D
Heh, I feel like that when Ruby comes home with me, too!

That's fab about the agility course - I can't wait until Ruby's old enough to have a go on one. I suspect she'll love it!

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
ahhh well done ruby! Its lovely when strangers comment on how well your dog looks or acts!! :D

Hope you have a lovely week off work!! x

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Bella! It's another unexpected sunny morning up here, so I think we'll be off out somewhere with Ruby again soon for more recall practice :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts