Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after all the excitement yesterday of coming home, terrorising poor meg (who now won't get off the sofa! :? ) Meeting her 3 new big sisters (my daughters) I thought I might get some sleep :roll:

Wrong!!!!

Poor old Mole was sick about 1030 (I assume because of all the changes as she was fine before and after and it was just undigested food) I flushed this down the toilet - good idea I thought :roll: Wrong again!! Blocked the toilet, spent the next 15mins unblocking it :?

Anyway put her in her crate at about midnight and went to bed. Not a peep did we hear :D great I thought, some sleep - Wrong - I then laid there wide awake listening in case she woke up!!! :roll:
Finally went to sleep at about 1.30 guess who woke up at 2.15 :? Got up, let her out and she did a wee, put her back in and then spent the next 15mins sitting on the kitchen floor while she went back to sleep (did try to go back to bed but she was very vocal 8O ) I ended up on the sofa with the noisy hamster for company :? She woke again at 5.15 and went out and did a poo, then another 15mins on the floor settling her as she wanted to play :?
Slept through til 6.45 she's been up, out, and had breakfast and is now zonked out again after a play :?

·
Registered
888 Posts
Hi our crate is now a fixture in dining room, with open door and holly puts herself in there when she is tired out from playing with Meg, she is only 7 1/2 weeks so i'm delighted with her, we close the door overnight and last night she slept from 11 till 6 when hubby came in from work, admittedly she had peed on puppy pad but i dare not get up to take her out in the middle of the night when i'm in by myself sorry. :)

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Sounds like my first few nights - I even slept on the floor outside the room Jess is in on her first night (I would never ever do it again though !!) My first three nights were horrible but Jess is brilliant now. She went to bed at 9.30pm last night and slept through until 8.30am this morning ! She gets up and then does a massive wee, has her breakfast a quick poo and then takes herslef back off 2 bed ! She is a very lazy pup in the mornings and doesnt perk up till at least 12ish !

I hope your 2nd night goes well Sarah and look forward to meeting up once Mole has had her vacs. x

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Yep as has been said, welcome to puppy ownership :D I do feel your pain as I have been through it (still am with Cori) 3 times this year and it is exhausting. But it will pass and it does get better honest :)

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
As others have said it will get better Sarah.

In a short time you will look back on this and laugh :D

Puppies don't we just love them :)

Looking forward to some more photos.

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
As the others said, it does get pointless, but a little tip

DO NOT bother laying awake listening for them - get some sleep while you can - because believe me, unless you live in a 7 bed mansion, the little monkeys will make themselves heard

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Yup, sounds about right! I remember the sitting on the kitchen floor next to the crate part very well! And then creeping ever so quietly away once I thought Lucy was asleep lol the sleep deprivation is a cruel cruel thing.... :wink: but they're worth it really (keep telling yourself that! 8O ) :D

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sue51 said:
but a little tip

DO NOT bother laying awake listening for them - little monkeys will

I didn't mean to lay awake just couldn't get to sleep :? however - tonight I don't think that will be a problem :D

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
when we get up with maisie we take her out to do her business and then straight back into the crate ............ we found when we stopped up with ollie when he was a pup he got used to us being up with him for a while so its straight back to bed with maisie and she goes back to sleep :D

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
One of the funniest parts with a new puppy is that you do all this 'up down' up down' in the night, then getting up with the dawn because they have decided its 'morning'... they eat, they have a play, then they fall into a nice sound sleep for a few hours JUST when you HAVE to start the day proper and can't follow suit yourself! I find about 9am they are soundly snoring again till lunchtime!

Little gits! ;-)

Di

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes, as everyone has said welcome to puppy ownership.

Our boy is nearly 9 months, but we always get a morning wake up call around 6.15am, just to remind us he's still there !!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
sarahjane16 said:
I didn't mean to lay awake just couldn't get to sleep :? however - tonight I don't think that will be a problem :D
:lol: Sorry, I didn't mean that nastily, just I've noticed a few people with little uns atm have said the same thing - being on my 10th week of broken sleep, I totally understand - I've just learnt to grab my sleep whenever I can.

The last few days have been wonderful, my OH has been home, and I think I have doubled my sleeping time for the last two months in that short period :roll:

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'm lucky as Hallie has got to grips with the nightime routine over the last 3 weeks! Sometimes she sleeps in my bedroom in her bed on the floor, sometimes at the bottom of the bed, and sometimes alone in the front room! She gets a nice variety as i didnt want her to only be used to one place incase of a change at some point! Even though she slept in my room all last week, when it came to the weekend and she slept in the front room i didnt hear a peep out of her until 7am at breakfast time!

Hope you manage to get some good sleep soon :D

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:lol: Sorry, I didn't mean that nastily, just I've noticed a few people with little uns atm have said the same thing

I know you didn't Sue, it wasn't only puppy thoughts keeping me awake, i'm a worrier and have had lots of things going on over the last couple of weeks family wise.
She's brilliant really and I love her to pieces :D Meg on the other hand is not handling the change at all well, early days I know, but she's a big scaredy pants and just keeps running away looking at me as if to say "whens it going?" :?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi Sarah,

I totally feel your pain. We have had Chewie home for two nights now, both very vocal. Chewie has his own bed in the kitchen, Chief has a crate in the same room. Then there is a babygate to stop Chewie liberating himself! He has gotten up the last couple of nights, around 2/3 and then 4/5. He then proceeds to wail and yowl. We tried ignoring it the first night and he eventually gave up after about an hour, so not awful but we have elderly neighbours and my husband is getting up for work at 6 so not ideal.

Our technique -trialled last night, not advocating it just letting you know what we are trying, is to use the "ah-ah" noise, or whatever your correction is, and putting Chewie back on his bed until eventually he gives up. The technique takes about 10 minutes but eventually he gets it and gives up crying/wailing and coming up to the baby gate. It's a bit like the Supernanny technique for dogs!

We are hoping for more sleep as the week goes on but he is a pup after all. If nothing else you know you have plenty of company in the wee small hours! :lol:

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I did exactly the same on my first night, i slept on the couch as my little sister was staying the night and i didnt want to disturb her getting up. I think it was a combination of puppy excitement and uncomfortable couch but i got much less sleep than Sydney! In less than a week we have got there though - i even managed to shower and dress before coming down to him this morning in preparation for work day routine.

I'm sure they make puppies so cute so that the puppy cuddles make up for all the hard work :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts