Labradors Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't really know where to put this topic...in Health, Behaviour, Puppy Stuff, so I opted for General. :wink:

I've had a few bitches now and have noticed a recurring theme. With all of them I've noticed a change in their behaviour and general demeanour once they get that first season out of the way and it has (so far) always been for the better.

Pood had her first season a short while ago and she now seems to have "grown up". She is still the friendly, happy, playful little soul she always was but she seems more sensible now, if that makes sense. This seems to be the way with most of my girls. Now whether this is because they get PMT in the build up before that first season, so tend to be more bouncy, mischevious, lack confidence, etc, etc and then they go back to how they should be, I don't know.

So I thought I'd ask you lot. Have you noticed a general improvement in your girls behaviour, after that first season? Or, maybe you felt they have got worse in some way, perhaps becoming more independent thinking? Maybe you haven't noticed any difference at all?

What have you found, if anything?

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have definitely noticed a big difference with Sophie. I think it's even more apparent due to the fact that bitches can become a handful coming into season so the change seems even more dramatic.

Sophie has definitely grown up, chilled out, calmed down but still has a great personality and those puppy moments!

A classic example is when I go dog training on Sundays. There's a male dog of the same age as Sophie and he and her have always mucked about from time to time. Now though, when the other dog comes running over Sophie kind of looks at him as if to say... "grow up". :)

BTW Jules, we need more Pickle photos!

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
Well Jules Spice is only just coming to the end of her season, so its a bit difficult to tell as yet.

What I can say is that just prior to her season we had a complete break down of the "bond" between me and her. I don't think I did anything but she became rather a scared y cat, and really didn't want anything to do with me at all 8O .

I had already decided in my head that she was probably coming up to a season so ignored the behaviour and left her to skulk about out in the conservatory rather than come in for a cuddle.

Now at the end of her season, she has decided that I am the best thing since sliced bread and will thwart any unwanted advances by those damn boys 8O !!!

I am really looking forward to doing some training with her next week, as it has been pretty pointless doing any for a while now. It is difficult to train a pup that wants to hide under the bench all the time :roll: .

Bitches and hormones eh who'd ave em!!!

·
Registered
12,631 Posts
Well Maj after her season was a completely moody bag until she was spay, then she jumped back to life, she didn't have a phantom just kept throwing hormone strops!!

The vet said she had doggy ME :roll:

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Yes Wicca was a complete zoomer before her first season, very miserable during and much mellower afterwards. Don't get me wrong she's still got oodles of energy and enough quirks to write a book on, but she doesn't feel the need to try and get you to play 24/7 and she's learned that it's ok to not be attached the whole time. I can even go to the bathroom alone sometimes now. :D

·
Administrator
21,514 Posts
They are all so different. Like Jill, I've had ones who have become flaky before the first season, I've had ones who have become very broody after seasons.

But yes Jules, time and again I've noticed the "Growing up" after a season. Would puppy have grown up around this point if she'd been spayed and therefore not come into season? We have no way of knowing because we cannot turn the clock back and see the same dog through both senarios. But I truly believe that first season is needed for the development of a well rounded bitch.

Regards, John

·
Registered
482 Posts
Dolly is in the middle of her 2nd season at the moment, and she is really chilled out and coming up to us for loads of hugs. In the day,she goes under the bed and has a sleep.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ettinsmoor said:
What I can say is that just prior to her season we had a complete break down of the "bond" between me and her. I don't think I did anything but she became rather a scaredy cat, and really didn't want anything to do with me at all 8O .
I noticed something similar with both Una and Oyster, perhaps because their training was so important, I noticed it more than I have with my others. Una became flakey/scared of her own shadow. She also became very clingy, not wanting to leave my side (she slipped her collar in the Mall when my Super was walking her and came running back through all the crowds to find me 8O ).

Oyster I found just switched off but then she was the sort that if she didn't understand something, she would rather do nothing, in case she got it wrong. However just before her season this behaviour reached it's peak. It was like she couldn't think straight....Poor girl.

time and again I've noticed the "Growing up" after a season. Would puppy have grown up around this point if she'd been spayed and therefore not come into season?
Who knows John. I know my sisters one bitch who was spayed before her season, is still very excitable and puppy like at 4 years old, whereas neither her Mum or Dad were like this. But as she was a singleton pup, we have no litter mates to compare her to.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Indy's behaviour has changed markedly since her season, she recalls much better than she did (apart from one incident today :oops: but that's a whole other story!!), will now come back in from the garden the second I want her to where before she'd come in when she was ready and not before and she's stopped bum tucking. She's also stopped whining to get my attention on a morning and instead will wait patiently until I come downstairs and let her out of the living room.
She's not so bothered by other dogs now, although she does still get excited and want to play, she will recall away from them when asked.

All of these things and a general "more grown up" demeanour have been apparent since finishing her season.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
We had Mambo spayed when she was 9mths old.( there was a very randy JRT next door who used to climb 8ft fences to get out!!) We had Skittle when Mambo was coming up to 3yrs old. She 'grew-up' when pup arrived and cuddled her and kind of took over from her litter mates. Skittle has had 2 seasons (spayed now) and is still as daft as before just as nervous of strange things and still as jumpy as ever, whereas mambo is chilled and very laid back. Except for the hoolie arouind and bum-tucking each evening!!

Marianne

·
Premium Member
21,240 Posts
Molly came to us mid way through her season, she is very clingy at times but very quiet for a 10month old, now I don't know if this is because she is at the end of her season or its just her, but I have never had such a laid back youngster.

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Jana never had a season as she was spayed at 6 months, but at about a year old seemed to grow up overnight :D She still has her hooly moments but is not puppy like :roll: Whereas Cori i feel will be an eternal puppy (still not stopped the mouthing thing :? :roll: :roll: )

Guess all dogs just grow up at different ages :?

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Well i'll never know with Alfie...lmao but OMg what a difference a season mad to Madison.

Gone was the puppiness(is that a word), after her first season this grown up, sensible gilr appeared. I was amazed at how different she was with just one season. But the run up to the season was horrendous as she was a nightmare, a right stroppy cow...lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts