Labradors Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

Need abit of advise about feeding puppies. When we got Holly she was purely on tinned food, which after a week or so we gradually started to change to dry puppy food, reducing the amount of tinned every few days.

However she is now 14 weeks and we have tried a few times to get rid of tinned and every time we do she eats much less food. With just a little bit of tinned she has been clearing bowl mostly... but she eats much less without.

I do not know whether to continue giving her some tinned food? Is it okay to mix and match like this? Is there a really good tinned food out there - she was fed on Butchers puppy, which she seems to like but the woman in the pet shop turned up her nose at this??? Could it be that when theres only dry in the bowl she is eating only what she really needs ??

Any advice appreciated :)

Shelley and Holly

P.S. weve tried adding warm water to the dry, also gravy but it didnt go any better.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hi Shelley

Buster is a picky eater and I add a couple of spoonfulls of Butchers tinned meat to his dry food (Hills) as he won't eat it dry,I think that not all dogs like dry food. Haven't heard any bad reports about Butchers tinned meat but would be interested to hear if there are any.

Kev

·
Administrator
20,708 Posts
Hi Shelley. Remember, tinned food is between 70 and 80% water so yes, your dog will need far more than it does complete. So saying, I always add water to complete when feeding it to young puppies.

A little gravy will make it smell nice but something like Oxo contains rather a lot of salt so is not good too often.

Regards, John

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies

Id just got to point where i was going to start putting little bit of tinned in with dry again. Having said that this morning Holly has attacked her bowl of just dry with gusto and cleared it!!

Maybe it just needed a few days for her to adjust? Or perhaps like our old dog she will not eat as much in warmer weather??

Anyway, thanks for the advice. :D

Shelley

P.S. Kev, I dont kow what problem the pet shop woman had with Butchers. Do know she suggested i try their most expensive dry brand instead??? So not sure how unbiased ehr reaction was! :?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts