Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
Well Bradley does the standard puppy thing of running in his sleep, but he also has noises in his repertoire.

The first one is a sort of quiet wailing and in distress noise which is heartbreaking to listen to

The Second is a sort of slurping/swallowing sound accompanied by smacking his mouth together a bit.

Is the first one anything to worry about, has anyone elses Lab done it ?

Any ideas what the second one is ? Suckling in a dream, drinking etc ?

G

·
0 Posts
My black lab does the same!!

Hi there when my oldish black lab dreams he make's funny noises too, and he evern barks which i find funny.
My puppy lab run's in his sleep as you said what puppies do but i really think it's funny the way there little paw's twich!! :D

·
Registered
129 Posts
both my labs also make wierd sounds too and also macy our 11 week old pup sleepwalks our 18 months dog barks ,growls and makes like a hoofing sound glad to say im not the only one who thinks there sounds are wonderful to listen too

·
Registered
12 Posts
I get the whole repetoire with Harvey and Dylan. Running, wagging tail, chewing, barking, wailing, whining.

Ive have tried to video them or record them but in their dreams they know this and immediately stop.

Funniest thing with Dylan is when he wakes up after such an 'active' dream he gives the biggest, deepest sigh I have heard. I don't know if he is pleased to be awake or would rather be back in the dream.

·
Registered
286 Posts
weird noises

Red just snored. Deep, contented rumblings that resonated throughout the house through the structure of the floor. Misty once and a while makes noises but it is Jack who runs in his sleep and yips softly. The most disturbing sound is the one in the middle of the night that is ver, very lkoud and sounds like the WWII London air raid siren. It went on for over a minute when he was sleeping out in the living room. By the time I got there he was was sitting up with his eye closed trembling and still asleep. I called his name softly and he opened his eye and then stopped. He seemed real happy to see me.

Thinking about it now, I believe we have had only three of these air raids. The first was when Jack was snoozing on the couch. I surfed into the end of the Steve McQueen movie Bullet just as a police car sireb started up in the movie. Jack resoned with this whoooooooooooo. Looked at me, grinned and thumped his tail. Either he was real proud of copying the siren or he got fooled. The second time was when he was asleep next to the bed. That was exciting. But the most frightening one was the third one when he was asleep out in the living room and I went to find him.

http://www.hadleyguide.com/articles/petcare/dream.shtml

http://petplace.netscape.com/articles/artShow.asp?artID=1988

http://www.usatoday.com/news/science/wonderquest/2001--08-01-dogs-dream.htm

http://www.ddc.com/waggers/dog_dreams.html

http://sleepdisorders.about.com/cs/sleepdeprivation/a/animalkingdom_4.htm

·
Registered
76 Posts
I am delighted to say that Poppy grunts, runs, whimpers, snors, farts and chortles in her sleep. Just like Zara.

She also sticks her tongue out in various lengths and stages- which zara never did.

All highly entertaining except the slight worry that this might indicate lesbian tendancies and she won't be up for motherhood !

·
Registered
286 Posts
Stanley wrote:
... and she won't be up for motherhood !
Err... Sorry Stanley, my apologies for bringing this up-BUT
Over here in the States Labs are very, very popular to the point puppies are being dumped in trash bins, left out in the country or turned over to Animal Control because they can't find homes. There are puppy mills that breed many dogs too soon and too soon together without any care for health and welfare, and backyard breeders who breed their dogs because they think they are so sweet, or cute or deserve some sex. Same goes with adult Labs. My first Lab was a stray maybe nine or ten years old. Beautiful old boy who lived with me for three short years. Misty was four and intact when she was picked up one too many times for roaming. She is still with me. Jack was maybe three when we got him four days before he was going to be put down because nobody wanted a big one eyed Labrador. Thousands of Labs are destroyed each year because homes cannot be found and room has to be made for dogs that may be quicker adopted.

Labs are prone to several genetic diseases, and not all Labs are good breeding material. Labs that are judged as champions in conformation and or field trials, conform to the breed standard for temperment and retrieving, and have passed the health screening schemes advocated by the Labrador Club UK or AKC in the US, are best suited to further the breed. Know the pedigree of the Labs involved in the breeding and use only Labs that have been properly vetted and are titled. If you are not part of a breeding kennel or have not bred a Lab before, get a mentor and help out so you are familiar with the complexities and problems
involved in whelping.

There are many reasons to breed a Lab, just be sure you are doing so for the right reasons.

Here endth the sermon. Please stand and sing while the plate is passed for the RSPCA or a labrador non-profit of your choice. Please give generously.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts