Labradors Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im worried about the boys weights, they are now 8 1/2 months. Charlie as always been a bit scrawny looking and a complete different build to Logan, I think he may have been the runt of his litter, since having him his ribs have always been alittle obvious. However Logans ribs are also starting to show more now,and his ribs are showing more than charlies.

Ive recentley changed from JW to Skinners as JW was giving them runny poops and they didnt seem to be gaining weight. I accidently brought working dogs duck and rice and they have been having about 4/5 cups a day of that, so 2 big bowls full.

Loagn is 21 kg and Charlie around 18, according to the bag they should have 1 cup to 8kg of weight so they are getting plenty.

I dont know what else i can do to make them look a little healthier, i feel like im doing something wrong.

My partner says it may be because they are growing in height and they get lots of good run and exercise over the fields by where we live, but i really dont know, ant suggestions guys????

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
Hi

First of all just to say there is nothing wrong with feeding Skinners Field & Trial Duck & Rice. In fact, it is what I feed my dogs and is fine for pet dogs and working dogs and of course VAT Free so cheaper as well :D .

How old are your two dogs? It is difficult to give any advice without knowing there age.

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
Well Becky I don't see anything much wrong with those weights they have lots more growing and filling out to go yet and will go through different stages of growth until they actually mature.

Give them a few more months and you will wonder what you were worrying about.

Do be careful not too over exercise them though at 8.5 months.

I probably should just ask are they being regularly wormed as a worm burden would affect there weight?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thankyou, Yeah they are wormed every 3 months and have just been done.

I think im worrying more because everyone keeps saying they are looking skinny, as people expect to see a chunky labrador.

But like i said they have grown loads in height, so it may just be that.

I take them for one walk a day only, but boy they make the most off it, running and chasing each other like crazy dogs!!!!

·
Administrator
21,501 Posts
I take them for one walk a day only, but boy they make the most off it, running and chasing each other like crazy dogs!!!!
This is one of the problems of having two puppies of close to the same age. If you are not careful they will learn that all there fun is between the two of them. They will bond together to the exclusion of you. I would make a point of having quality one to one time, and also when you are walking the two of them make a point of putting some training in so that it is you who are leading. I think this is VERY important in the situation you find yourself. Simply dont allow them running "Like crazy dogs." or you will be storing up problems for the future.

Regards, John

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When i say crazy dogs...I mean they just run and play...They always come back on command and get treated for it :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts