Labradors Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to raise this subject as I know it is covered in many places but I am worried that Marley isnt getting enough to eat and knowing some of his siblings are on here, I would be interested to know how much they weigh now.

Marley at the puppy party last night weighed 6.1 kgs, having weighed 5.8 last week, although they were different scales, but it worries me you can see his ribs rather than feel them.

We did change him to Burns and he gobbles that up and I did follow the 20 gms per kilo per day, but now Ive trawled through the forum and there seems to be a question as to whether that is enough and now Im just confused. Should we change him again or should we up the Burns, or is he having enough?

Everyone also refers to kongs. Do most people have the cone shaped kong and stuff those? He isnt too keen on the round shaped one!

Any advice would be really appreciated!

Jayne

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Hello

Your pup should be gaining around 0.5 - 1 kg of weight per week when they are ickle.

I use the cone shaped kongs and i stuff them with all sorts of things - to start with... to give him the idea... try smearing soft cheese, sandwich paste or banana round the inside. He'll soon get the idea.
My boys now have a kong stuffed with dry food and meat mixed up, frozen overnight and given to them for breakfast :D

hope that helps.

ooh and i feed Coal burns when he was a pup and he was quite a skinny gangly pup. not sure if that was him or the burns. What type of burns is he on and how old is he?

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
No idea about burns food as i don;t use it.

but kongs, for my pup Alfie i fill it with some of his daily allownace of dry food and top it with kong puppy stuffin and freezer for when i go out, its a cone shaped one too and Alfie has never got everything out by the time get home.

The pups size is also dependant on his lines, showing or working(thank you Jules)...and like Sam said they ut on anything from 0.5 -1 kg a week when they are little.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Sam I appreciate that. He is ten weeks today (in fact the spitting image of your puppy in your avatar, we havent done our avatar yet!). He is Pickle's brother.

He is on the mini bites. I shall definitely get him a cone shaped kong and have another go.

Jayne

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks as well Donna, I suppose it was being able to see his ribs that worried me.

Jayne

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
DavidB said:
Thanks Sam I appreciate that. He is ten weeks today (in fact the spitting image of your puppy in your avatar, we havent done our avatar yet!). He is Pickle's brother.

He is on the mini bites. I shall definitely get him a cone shaped <a href=http://www.furbabies.co.uk/index.php/cPath/30_7>Kong</a> and have another go.

Jayne
Jayne there is a post with Pickles weight in it and your up is roughly the same weight if thats any help.
i'll find it and post the link.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Coal never had the mini bites... he went straight onto the High energy lamb burns which is what they recommend for larger breed pups. It suited him and i was happy at the time with it. Its also bigger kibble which i think is better for them

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again for the replies and Ill think about changing to the other Burns.

I hadnt seen the updated Pickles thread, so that was really helpful as they seem to be much the same.

Jayne

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Hi Jayne, Henri, Marleys yellow bro weighed in two days ago at 8 kilos.

I have had problems with pups being so hungry on the mini bites, and not gaining enough weight. Which, after rearing 4 litters on the mini bites, I went over to using the oscar and the difference is just amazing. I will never use mini bites again, but I do use the adult Burns.

I have kept growth charts for the last 4 pups I have kept (how sad am I !!) and they seem to gain about a kilo a week at this stage. Thats what I hope Marley would be gaining at this stage.

I was really happy with the pups on the Oscar and thats what I will stick with, not only do we have good weight gain, but the poo is solid too!!

And again I would not rate the mini bites at all.

Trace x

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hiya Jayne, as Tracy and other have said Burns does tend to keep Lab pups lean and in my opinion their feed guide keeps them hungry too.

Pickle put on 1kg in the two weeks between her jabs but saying that, I think the first week after her jab she didn't put on anything at all and she put a whole kilo on last week.

Just after her jabs I noticed I could see her ribs, so upped her food over a couple of days, unfortunately this gave her a rather upset tum. I had probably given her too much too soon, as often rich dry food will give them the runs if you do that but she was ravenously hungry (probably due to a growth spurt). Anyway, she had the squits for a couple of days and I then had to feed her chicken and rice in little portions for a few days to settle her tum. She did look very ribby at this stage but once her tum settled, I took the opportunity to change her kibble, introducing it slowly in with the chicken and rice.

After much debating and reading of reviews I changed her onto Wainwrights Salmon and Potato Adult and we now have a happy puppy again. Perhaps because it isn't quite so rich, I can feed her the quantities she wants to fill her up and she is padding out nicely now, with no ribs in sight and lovely solid poos :D :D . If this hadn't worked then I would have tried the Oscars adult version, as she was soooo hungry before but I couldn't give her enough of the puppy version without it causing diarrhea. I know Labs are greedy but I didn't want her to start eating non food stuff in an attempt to stave off the hunger, as I've a theory this is where a lot of Labs start swallowing things like stones, toys, mud, poo, etc, stems from. I'm all for filling their bellies and leaving them satisfied, rather than feeding tiny, high calorie portions with hungry pups, although this method works well with other more picky, less ravenous breeds.

So yes 0.5-1kg of weight gain a week is average but I would be looking more towards the higher end weight gain a week at this young age really, with it slowing down a bit at around 4-5 months old.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Jayne, As you know Roxie is Marley's sister. She was weighed on Monday and was 7.0 kg. I think i may be over feeding her,although her poo's are fine so might stick with it until she's weighed again. She's still on Oscar puppy food. WE did have a mishap last week . I had to pop out so left my daughter to feed her. I had left the whole day's amount in a container, she didn't realise and gave her the whole amount in one meal! OOPS.....No complaints from Roxie there.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
She was weighed on Monday and was 7.0 kg. I think i may be over feeding her,although her poo's are fine
It doesn't sound as if you are over feeding her to me. She sounds a good weight and roughly where I think Pickle would have been if we hadn't had that dodgy tummed few days. She is catching up again now though, so it'll be interesting to see what they all weigh in about a months time :D .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Jules will stick to what i've been giving. The lady who delivers the food thought it might be too much. I'm still mixing it with water and yoghurt, she said to start giving it dry. Tried and she brought it up again. Think I'll give it a few weeks before trying again.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Roxie2009 said:
Hi Jayne, As you know Roxie is Marley's sister. She was weighed on Monday and was 7.0 kg. I think i may be over feeding her,although her poo's are fine so might stick with it until she's weighed again. She's still on Oscar puppy food. WE did have a mishap last week . I had to pop out so left my daughter to feed her. I had left the whole day's amount in a container, she didn't realise and gave her the whole amount in one meal! OOPS.....No complaints from Roxie there.
I have another Shollamy pup, but a Chocolate one :)

Do you mind me asking how much Oscar's Puppy you're feeding Roxie?
Bailey loves it, but I find if I feed their recomended amount his poo's are soft 'ish so I'm feeding a little bit under. He's looking well, so I'm not too worried, but it'd be interesting to hear what Roxie is on to compare.
Thanks.x

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm still mixing it with water and yoghurt, she said to start giving it dry. Tried and she brought it up again.
I'm still wetting Pickle's food too and will continue to do so for a long time yet. I'm super cautious with dry food, as I had one young dog literally inhale a huge mouthful of kibble. She collapsed and went blue. Thankfully I was right there and with one big jerk under her belly, she coughed up the offending mouthful.....I dread to think what would have happened if I had given her her food and left her to eat it though.

I feel at least if it is wet, it takes them a wee bit longer to eat it plus it slips down easier, as they are so prone to not crunching/just swallowing, it must give them indigestion if it's dry. I'm still feeding the yoghurt too, just once a day now though.

I find if I feed their recomended amount his poo's are soft 'ish so I'm feeding a little bit under.
This was the problem I had and I couldn't get above 50g per meal without very soft poos....Of course as she was so hungry, I carried on, thinking her belly would get used to it, plus I could see her ribs clearly so she obviously needed more and I ended up with a very splatty pup. With hindsight I feel I should have changed her food as soon as I realised I couldn't up the amounts by much...but hey ho, we all live and learn and no two pups are the same. I'm now feeding 80g per meal of the Wainrights, she is more contented and poos are firm, plus the weight is going on, so I think we might have cracked it. It's just trial and error sometimes but you can only be guided by your pups weight (how they look not what they weigh) and poo consistancy really.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Im having a similar problem at the min, I can see the ribs on both of my boys.

Charlie as always been skinny since having him, i think he was the runt of the litter, his frame is so much smaller tha Logans. However even Logan's ribs are now showing.

The vet recommended JW, But they just seemed to get more sgraggy looking and their poo was always runny.

Ive just swapped them over to skinner duck and rice, i brought working dogs by mistake, so have had to give them that, im going to see how i get in with this one.

Its been really bothering me that, u can see their ribs.
They are 8 months and Charlie is 18kg and Logan 21, does this sound right to you guys???

I really dont know what im doing wrong, ive upped their feed from the recommended amount, so they are getting plenty.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Both of my pups are on 75 grams per meal, 4 times a day, either soaked or wetted with a spoon of the goats yoghurt each feed. And I have never had pups with such solid poo's!!!
They have also started getting a few left iover veggies and some different treats during the day and a fish for dogs dried fish skin stick at night too. They love them!! :D

As I said somewhere else Lexi was 9 kilos this week and Henri is 8 kilos.

I agree Jules, no two pups are the same, even from the same litter, Huni was reared on Burns with my sister until she came here starving, couldnt take more of the mini bites and was pooing for England, so I switched her(just like you shouldnt) to Science plan and she never looked back, I tried Kenzi on the science plan and it didnt agree with her at all, so she was reared on Burns High energy lamb!!

Hope this helps.

Trace x

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thanks for that Tracy.

Bailey is on 80gms 4 times a day, still slightly wetted & with the yoghurt, & poo's are fine with that :)
However If I up it to the 90 to 100gms suggested by Oscars, his poo's go soft. So your info really helps.

I'll stick to 80gms for the mo.
Are you going to start introducing the Junior at 12 weeks?

Bailey says Hi :D

x

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Hello Bailey big boy...xxxxx to you.

The recommendations on the oscar bag are too high, they will never eat that amount. And as every pup is different it must only be a rough guide.
Go by your pup. As long as he is nicely rounded by the end of the day, and not ribby, in my opinion thats the way to go. My two here are not starving,they like their food but dont bolt it like they have never been fed before. I would never go by what any bag says, I go by the pup. And use the make up of the poo's as a guide too!!

Lovely subject ah!!

Lexi sends love back to her bro, oh and she doesnt poo munch any more now, hope Bailey has broken that habit too!!! :roll:

Trace x

1 - 20 of 29 Posts