Labradors Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys feel really cheeky asking for help when i've not been posting recently (just lurking) but i am at the end of my tether with the current situation :(

Sylar has been house-trained fully since approx 6 months, he is now 2 years old and has been cocking his leg for about a year. About a month ago i spotted a puddle of wee by the back door, i was a bit shocked but didn't draw attention to it, cleaned it up and thought he must've misjudged how far out the door he was. A couple of days later it happened again and a few days after that i actually saw him cock his leg up the wall, always in the same spot. The same situation has now been ongoing for a month, I've caught him doing it on 3 occassions, and told him 'out', he acts very sheepish and all apologetic but then the next day or so its here we go again.

I am honestly at a loss as to what to do to stop this, i am cleaning the area thoroughly each time but have no idea how to stop it happening in the first place. Any ideas (please!) ????

Tracy

G

·
Has he been castrated Tracy? As my sister had issues with some of her boys marking inside the house. All but one of them stopped doing it completely once they were castrated and the other one only does it occasionally now, usually if there is a bitch on heat nearby.

What are you cleaning it with? Many household cleaners contain bleach or bleach like products, which to a dog can smell of urine. Just like when housetraining puppies, it's best to wash the area down in either Simple Solution or a solution of Bio Washing Powder and warm water, as these kill the urine smell.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I agree with Jules; it's so tempting to blitz the area with bleach or disenfectant - particularly if you have small children - after all this is a repeated offence and it's in your home and you want it to be clean! But you wouldn't believe how many cleaners attract them to do it again. I always mop up the mess, sprinkle non-biological washing powder on it (I've found with my cats that even the bio stuff attracts them back), leave it for a while, then come back with some very hot water and give it a good scrub.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts