Labradors Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rufus is now 13 weeks old and still wees in his crate every night. This morning I got up at 4.45 hoping to catch him before he weed. Despite no food after 6pm and a late night walk round the garden and poo, he still sometimes poos in his crate as well.
I have seen other owners say their dogs were dry overnight at 9 weeks so I wonder what I'm doing wrong. If I don't leave newspapers in the crate he still wees on the edge of his bedding.
Any tips please?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I say give him time, he sort himself out in time, he still only a pup. amountain of praise and love when he gets it right.

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
I would remove the newspapers. If he's in a big crate you could try reducing the size of it. What are you washing/cleaning the crate with? if its bleach based that may be part of the problem, try using biological washing powder (disolved) instead. Bleach smells like urine to dogs.
13 weeks is still quite young though and all the pups are different :D

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I am sure every pup is different. Gillie was awake at around 2.30am for the first week or so, so I took him out for a wee then and put him straight back to bed. He gradually extended the time he went until he was going through until 6am. I now have to get him up for a wee! Maybe if you set your alarm for 2 or 3am and just take him out, he will learn not to go in his crate?

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Must admit I tend to, the first three weeks or so, get up at 3am and take them out for a wee. Then they never need to do it and its not a habit that starts. Obviously your little man thinks its acceptable because he has done it every night and has never been told otherwise (rightly so.....)

The only way to train out of this is to avoid it until the pattern is broken. That would involve beating him to it by getting up nightly just for a couple of mins. Its disturbing to your sleep pattern but it will break the habit.

the other way is not to and just see it through. It may become a very strong habit that age does not break however if you don't attack it now with a nightly trip out (yawn! I know its a pain!)

Di

G

·
The trouble with putting newspaper in the crate is it teaches the pup it's ok to "go" in the crate. Then of course when you remove the newspaper it still thinks it can "go" in the crate because that is what it's learnt is the right thing to do. We have had members here have their pup come running indoors specifically to toilet in their crates, so ingrained has become the habit.

Personally for now I would do as Di said and set your alarm for 2-3am and try to beat him to it. If that doesn't work, then don't shut him in the crate, perhaps even take the crate away for a week or two then hopefully this will break the Crate=Toilet association.

As I said in another post, I had a similar problem with my Poodle, she associated Vetbed with going to the toilet, this then shifted into her thinking it was ok to go on anything soft, so bedding, rugs, a jumper on the floor, etc, which was really tricky to break and took me over a year to do so. At one point I did think I'd never get her reliably clean but we got there in the end and now I can trust her anywhere, so patience does pay off :wink: .

·
Registered
51 Posts
This happened with us with Radley - and read the tip about no newspaper and mopping and cleaning with washing powder this worked, and he soon learnt not to do it in his crate. We also had a spell where he went and wee'd near the back door where we used to put the newspaper, so we mopped the floor with washing powder and did regular visits to the garden.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
OP I read your post on here yesterday and thought we're in a smilar position, our Molly is just over 12 weeks and for the past week has been pretty good day times with only a few accidents. But night time is very different. We dont have a crate but Molly is in our utility/porch room and on the floor I leave newspaper. There was always at least one wee and a poo every morning.
So after reading your post and others help, I thought Id take the paper away last night and see what happened(also took her water away too). Well she did one tiny wee (which I think she'd just done) and no poo. I let her out and straight away did her poo and bit later did her wee.
So all in all I think that was a good first go. And I will perservere with no paper and cross my fingers. Oh and also OH did get up at 2 to let her out but she was having none of it and wouldnt even open her eyes to him, lol.
Just thougth Id share to see if any help, and to see how you got on?

G

·
Ruby was already semi-crate trained when we got her, but she still peed in her crate overnight during the first few weeks, and I honestly thought she was never going to learn not to. We bought one of those little dividers which gave her less room in the crate at night (just enough to be able to turn around and lie down) and within a few days the peeing overnight had stopped.

Must admit we never used to get up in the middle of the night to take her outside, so that's probably why she was weeing, but the divider in the crate really worked a treat.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to everyone for their tips - I am going to try removing the newspapers and get a divider for the crate and we'll see. The trainer at puppy class poo-pooed (pardon the pun) my worries and said Rufus is still a baby and he'll grow out of it. Still, I will try some of the suggestions. Let you know how we get on.
Linda and Rufus

·
Registered
1 Posts
It may be that the crate is too large, it is unusual for a puppy to wet his bed/crate. a common reason for crate wetting is that the crate is too large for the puppy. i would suggest checking the crate size, and putting a cover/blanket over the top and sides allowing the puppy to see out the front. this gives it more of a "cave"/ cosy feel and may help.

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
Hi Linda,

I have a crate divider which we used for a large crate 24" wide and 27" high approx.
I live just outside Colchester if you wanted to borrow it ? (I don't want to get rid of it completely as we may at some point get another dog)
I found it really useful and had no toileting in crate at all but they grow so quickly it was only useful for about the first 6 months.

Chloe

1 - 12 of 12 Posts