Labradors Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy New Year to everyone.

We've had Harry 5 days now, and he is doing great. At night for 3 nights running he's gone into his crate about 11 and slept all night. I've not been waking him as I discovered when he's been woken from sleep for a wee/poo he can't perform but wakes himself up nicely with all the cold outside air, so he's weed and or pooed by the morning.

With the toilet training, I tried taking him out every half hour. Problem with this is sometimes he can go an hour without a wee and sometimes can wee 3 times in half an hour. This means that sometimes we're outside a long time with nothing. Or he doesn't wee so I take him out again every 10 mins and either he wees, or squeezes one in whilst in the kitchen. I have no problem with this but am worried about him exercising too much as we have quite a big garden and obviously whilst he's out there, he tends to be running around rather a lot. Also I wonder if I'm just confusing by taking him out so often, but that if I don't, he'll only ever wee inside as I'll never "catch the right moment". Should I stick to just taking him out for 5 minutes and bringing him back in for half an hour or shall I continue with waiting outside until he's been.

Not even sure that makes sense - sure I shouldn't be meant to be up this early on New Year's Day!

Gwinny

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Believe me, you're doing the right things. And it takes time! If he's quite happily going through the night from 11pm then peeing and pooing in the morning, with a clean crate, then let him carry on this way :)

Try taking him out hourly during the day. When you take him outside, use the command you'd like for when you want him to wee (will come in handy later!) as you want him to wee and then when he's actually weeing. (We use "go wee wees!"). When he does a wee, praise him like mad and give him a small high value treat such as cheese or hotdog. If he wees in the house, ignore him (i.e. don't shout, don't pick him up and take him outside, just carry on as normal) and clear it up with no fuss. Some people suggest taking them out if they pee on the floor but we found this method didn't work as Indy loves the garden and at one point was peeing on the floor just to be let out!! (Obviously made sense in her head :lol: )
Make sure you use a bio washing powder solution to totally neutralise the odour or he'll think peeing there is perfectly ok. You need to have done the same with his crate.

You need to be religious with your once an hour, although if he shows signs of wanting a wee before the hour is up, then take him out as usual and if he does wee, praise him like mad! Also use the command while he's weeing.

This is exactly the method I used, and it's worked really well. It does get a little frustrating in the later stages when you think it's working so well and then suddenly they pee on the floor, but then something 'clicks' and that's it! Indy is coming up 18 weeks old now and I know accidents happen, but she's not peed on the floor for at least a fortnight now and will now go to the door and make noise when she wants out for a pee. We tend to get floor wees when she's super excited, i.e. the laser pointer we bought for the cat, she absolutely loves it! So, we've learned to let her out for a wee before any 'exciting' play happens.

You'll get the hang of it soon enough, all pups are different and do things in their own time. Once you get the religious hourly thing out of the way, you'll be sorted :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's great, thanks. I have been putting him outside after he's done it inside as someone suggested this would remind him where he's meant to do it, but I think it confuses him. I reckon he likes a nice warm sot to wee - Harry has a tendency to wee the minute he comes in from the cold - we just spent a jolly but unproductive 10 mins in the garden only for him to wee literally seconds after we came into a nice toastie kitchen!

Gwinny

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
I think you might have to tog yourself up in boots and a big coat. Take him outside until he wees, even if this takes half an hour! Praise, treat and seed is sown. Eventually it'll dawn on him if he pees outside, he gets a fuss and a yummy treat.... :D

The value of using a special toilet command is once Harry gets the idea of it, that you can use it as soon as you take him outside and he should pee when he hears the command. Saves many minutes hanging around in the cold :wink:

Regarding putting pups outside if they pee on the floor, I know people do recommend this method and I'm not a seasoned enough dog owner to dismiss it, but it didn't work for us and I think you may be right about it being confusing. The key is to treat and praise immediately after they've peed in the garden (or on a walk, I still give Indy a treat if she pees while we're out but I only use kibble for that). Say your toilet command whilst waiting for the pup to pee and whilst they're doing it. It shouldn't take long for them to associate the command with going for a pee and it should shorten the time you're hanging around in the cold!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts