Labradors Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were thinking about digging out all the dead 'wee spots' in the lawn and putting down some grass seeds this spring, but I vaugley remember that when Chewy had an eye infection once, the vet thought she might have a grass seed stuck in her eye - although it turned out not to be that.

With that in mind though - do you think it's a bad idea to plant grass seeds? I don't want them to get in Chewy's eyes!

Also has anyone got any bright ideas in regards to the dead wee patches?

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I wouldn't scatter the seed when Chewy is in the garden because she will probably be right beside you and it could blow back. I use grass seed in my garden all the time and I've never had a problem. You could always use turf if you are really worried but to be honest you could take all the precautions in the world and then Chewy runs through the grass on her walk and pick up a grass seed or one blow over from your neighbours garden. You may need to put a little fence ( no short canes that she can run into) or an upturned hanging basket over the patches until it takes because if Chewy keeps running over the area it will never take.
They say you can put a little tomato juice in her kibble which is supposed to help with the ph level of the urine or buy stones to go in her water bowl. I'm too lazy though so haven't tried it myself.

·
Administrator
20,478 Posts
Some dogs do burn the grass bad, others seem to have no effect on the grass. I've only had one cause a problem, and of course that one just had to be "Big Bad Beth!"

Watching where they go and tipping the used washing up water on the area dilutes the concentration and helps.

If you do decide to reseed you will need to dig out a few inched of top soil and replace it with fresh. I usually leave it about half an inch low, sprinkle the seed then add more soil on top to bring the level up. That way keeps the seed away from birds of both the winged kind and the four footed kind.

As the new soil settles you will probably need to work some more soil into the new grass to keep the level. Fine provided you don't bury the grass under the soil.

Regards, John

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I've fought the good fight on this for 5 years with no joy
Lava rocks, supplements and diet to hell with - Judy can eat her usual diet and it would worry me if it's changing her insides for the benefit of the Grass

So my once golf putting green lawn is now a luna landscape. Couldn't care less as I'd rather have a drab lawn with a beautiful black lab sitting on it than anything else

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Reading Boogs post reminds me of having to walk all over my Dad's lawn in old stilettos. It's a good job he had a small garden. If the neighbours had looked out of the bedroom window they would have thought my sister and I were totally mad walking up and down aerating the lawn. Mind you they probably already did because when we moved in all the neighbours had grass but my father planted potatoes. We had the best lawn eventually though. :)

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all. I will have a go and see how I get on. Maybe get the Chewsta some safety goggles just in case!

I like the idea of astro turf but I think it would cost a lot to cover our garden... *shows off garden*

Untitled by Storm Dust, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
What a stunning view, I have a large garden as well but not with that beautiful vista. I would buy your house even if it was a cardboard box with a view like that.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tumack - that's what we did. Would never have bought this house in a million years (it needed everything under the sun doing to it, we are getting there finally) - but who doesn't want to wake up to that every morning? It still impresses me and we've been there 18 months now!

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I can appreciate why it still impresses you. We decided on our house because of the garden and had to renovate from top to bottom from a new roof to knocking down badly built walls. It's taken a long time.... Its home now though. :)

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh gosh we didn't have to rebuild any walls thank god! What a nightmare!

That photo was taken just after we moved in, all the greenery is brown now, but in the autumn it was beautiful - all the oranges and reds. Ahhh.

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
Another thing I've done to help the grass is to take Tatze out to the common in the morning for her first wee. The wee is much more concentrated at that time and more likely to burn the grass.

(I have started running there with her to improve my fitness too - win win!)

:)

·
Registered
429 Posts
princess loves to wipe her feet after going to the toilet so i created a bark area and she always goes there and wipes her feet kicking the bark over it (kinda like a cat lol)
jacks been doing the same but on the other side of the bark area to her ...maybe he will go to lawn who knows ...hope either way you get sorted ...

beautiful garden by the way its amazing

1 - 15 of 15 Posts