Labradors Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a litter of 6 puppies who are now 5 weeks old. Weaning is going well so far. Mum is reluctantly topping up during the day, usually in the garden. But at night she will not go in the box with the puppies. She could clear the gate, but will not. Persistent puppies can get out, but then not get back.
We are current feeding at 8am, 1pm & 6pm. Should we feed again later in the evening?

·
Premium Member
2,324 Posts
I wean pups onto 5 meals a day, and by 5 weeks of age I've got mum well away from the teeth coming through. Some bitches still want to carry on but by then, as long as they've got a good dose of colostrum and milk from mum and are good weights, then they really don't need her milk.

When I wean pups I use a mixture of the kibble I'm going to put them on, and make it into a thick porridge with something like Whelpi, which pups love and seem to thrive on. By six weeks the porridge is phased out and replaced for just kibble in soaked water, and by 7 weeks of age they're on just the kibble alone with lots of water available for them. By the time they go to new homes they're on four meals per day and new owners are advised to keep them on four meals per day until they are approx 12 weeks of age, then cut them back to three meals per day until six months of age. Smaller bodies need feeding smaller amounts more frequently.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts