Labradors Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:(
I'm sorry to say that this morning me and Cadbury failed our bronze KCGC.

Our downfall was the stay (or should I say lack of it) and the fact that Cadbury decided a recall meant he had to do three laps of the training area before returning.

Oh the shame, especially as we have been practicing so hard. :cry:

Of course there were certain factors that put us at a disadvantage. Such as me being stuck in a field with a sick sheep until gone 11pm last night waiting for an emergency vet and then suffering a night of broken sleep.

And I like to think that some of Cadbury's hyperness could be attributed to the white chocolate button he found and ate first thing this morning.

Never mind. My trainer who was covertly watching said he did well despite his mistakes and the Judge told us that he had a dog that failed bronze 4 times, and he also said that once we crack the bronze we may be surprised and find that we sail through the silver and gold, possibly even going through quicker than the others that passed bronze today. Or maybe he was just being nice.

And the irony of the morning? When Cadbury actually did recall after several calls and victory laps the judge said it was a really nice recall, he came straight back and sat for me and didn't move while I reattached the lead. If only he had not decided to ignore me at first and come immediately I called it would have been wonderful.

Oh well. We can try again either Christmas or early in the new year.

G

·
Sorry to hear your news. Better luck next time. Hope you get a better nights sleep tonight. I take it everything is ok with your sheep.

·
Registered
350 Posts
oh thats a shame, i imagine you were very disappointed after all the hard work youve put in.

I expect though when you go and do it again you will have it licked, excuse the pun

wishing you all the very best and fingers crossed for the next time

all the best

gary

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aaron (the sheep) seems better. Should be after being pumped full of ABs, painkillers and maggot killer last night!

He had Flystrike which is seriously nasty, and some of the maggots had started eating his skin. He had a saltwater bath last night and another this morning. Checked him this evening and there are still flies lingering on him, so bruv has gone to bathe him again.

These animals are such a worry. :(

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Gary. Yes it was a shame after all the practice, but we will get there. Never give up, as they say.

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Try not to let it upset you Sophie, Cads probably sensed you weren`t at your best and decided to take advantage of that, I don`t doubt you`ll pass at the next attempt and go on to get the treble :D

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Mary, I am determined to do this. On another note the star of the day was little Jensen, a five month old chocolate lab and an absolute sweetheart. :)

Roxie2009 - I'm not sure, tbh. The sheep belong to my brother, I just help out when he works. I must admit I was thinking fly spray, but I dare not do anything that would make it worse. The vet did mention a powder which my bruv seemed to know about, so maybe he'll get some of that.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Ah what a shame, I know how hard you will have worked towards this.

Best of luck for next time and hope the sheep recovers, that sounds really nasty.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
awww, never mind, just a 'not so good day' am sure Cadbury will get there very soon, sometimes it is 1 step forward 2 back..but even when that happens the foundations are always more solid to spring forward from next time :wink:

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Take heart , Tarka passed bronze at the THIRD attempt. It was the downstay every time with us. He would do 59.5 seconds and then get up!!

But I think your trainer is right cos we passed silver first time, a few weeks after passing bronze.

Keep trying, you will get there!

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys. Never would have thought Tarka would take 3 attempts. Glad I'm not alone.

At least I guess I'm not far off and I'm going to go to the park tomorrow and practice recalls and stays.

G

·
No, no, no, you didn't fail you just didn't pass this time, definitely better than failing :lol:

You'll be fine next time and sail through, we failed silver on the 1st try due to weak down stay, but we've passed now and went on to find the gold a breeze, no doubt you be the same xx

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Never mind Sophie, I am sure it was just an off day and you must have been so tired, you will pass the next time i am sure :)

I hope Aaron the sheep is feeling better soon :?

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Aw, what a bummer Sophie. I bet Cadders won't put a foot wrong at training next time either, little sod!!

Bracks and I flunked gold the other night too.... it must've been the week for it, she broke her stay too! A few dogs didn't make their bronze, and I think the stay was their downfall too. It's hard when all the dogs are in a small space together and one gets up - it seems to make all the others think it's time for them to get up too.

Onwards and upwards. I'm sure you'll sail through next time.

ps I do think it will have been the milky bar button - all those E numbers - definitely, that would do it :lol:

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Never mind, Sophie - he's still your lovely Cadbury, whether he has the certificate or not. There's always next time, and his achievement will be all the more worthy of a big celebration.

Best wishes to Aaron for a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Sorry to hear this Sophie. A lady in our class had trouble with the stays and didn't pass the first time. She passed with flying colours the second time though. She went onto to do some gundog training - just for fun and got some brill advice that she used in the KC classes too.

Chin up - Cadbury's a wonderful dog and you both have come on a long way.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts