Labradors Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that some labs, like Harvey, have a distinct "wave" in the hair running down their back yet others are completely smooth

Can anyone tell me if this is something that alters during the dogs life or is it heredity?

Cheers
Nigel

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
re wavy coat

Interesting question Nigel,I have noticed that Dylan has now gone quite wavy down his back i have been having horrible thoughts that it was something to do with his elbow op as when Benny my old lab had a heart bi-opsy at the age of 13 his coat grew back(where he had been shaved) a chocolate colour but it didnt matter as we loved him whatever colour he was and sadly he was put to sleep 3 months later and i still miss him like crazy.Dylan is now starting to fill out but it would be interesting to see if anyone knows the answer.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi folks

Jess has this as well it seemed to develop when she was about 3 months old. not sure where it came from, maybe someones been slipping her the bread crusts when we were'nt looking :p

·
Registered
4 Posts
:p Hi all, I am a new member to the site !!! We have a 1yr old Choclate Lab called Louis who has got a wavy pattern down his back which he got from about 3-4 months old, i have been told it's nothing unusual by several people, i suppose like us dogs are all one of a kind !!!!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It seems a pattern down the back is quite common amongst Labs, Harvey's mother has it so I guess its hereditary

Does anyone know how its viewed in the Showing Ring?

Cheers
Nigel

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi NigelB
It's a fault
Distinctive feature, short dense without wave or feathering, giving fairly hard feel to the touch; weather-resistant undercoat
I don't show, so I don't know how harshly it will be penalised, but I would guess it depends on how wavy it is.
Are you planning to show him?
:)

·
Premium Member
15,605 Posts
Aww :( Harvey has that wavy line too! I just thought is was his adult coat coming through! No crufts for us then :lol:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes lablover, you are right .. doing something active with him appeals to me more anyway :wink:

·
Registered
65 Posts
I found this on kennel club site

Coat
The coat is a distinctive feature of the Labrador Retriever. It should be short, straight and very dense, giving a fairly hard feeling to the hand. The Labrador should have a soft, weather-resistant undercoat that provides protection from water, cold and all types of ground cover. A slight wave down the back is permissible. Woolly coats, soft silky coats, and sparse slick coats are not typical of the breed, and should be severely penalized.

Dont know if it means it is permissible for showing though.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi Lfairy
I think the one you quoted is from the American Kennel Club breed standard. The one I quoted above is from the UK Kennel Club. Interestingly, there are a few differences, but unless NigelB is thinking of emigrating........ :D .
My personal preference is to do something active rather than show. When I rode, I prefered show jumping and eventing to showing, same with dogs.
If anyone does want to show (other than exemption shows), they really need to find a breeder who can produce a show quality pup. Even then there are no guarantees.
:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts