Labradors Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone brought a water bottle for the crate, the ones that look like a water bottle for a hamster etc only larger, are they any good, does the dog know how to use them? or should i just use the usual water bowl that attaches to the side of crate.

Mandy and Harvey

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Hi most people leave a bowl in or leave no water overnight I think.

I 'trained' Basil to use a water bottle in preparation for a flight and have just done the same with Nellie (even though we have no plans).
To be honest it doesn't take training really, I just shoved it near there mouth and then let them feel the water, then did it a couple more times as they put a tongue over it. Left it in their crate and sure enough heard them sipping away later.

Anyway, waffling asides, I have just started putting the water bottle in Nellies crate as a normal day to day thing, she is such a guzzler and I feel mean her having no water but know if I put a bowl in it would be all gone in seconds. Nellie is rarely left for more than 2 hours - if you work and pup is left daily i would think you'd need a bowl.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
I would sincerely not leave the dog with water in its crate. the idea being they learn to hold it in there, and because you would never be leaving them in there more than say 4 hours at a time, or overnight (when the sensible puppy owner takes the water up anyway), you are trying to teach the dog to hold on.... so giving them access to water rather counters that. Have it freely avaliable all the time outside the crate, then when they go in, none. It will do absolutely no harm if the crate is in a normal cool place in the house not next to a radiator or in direct sunlight etc etc...

Absolutely do not use a bowl, they will bash it around and soak the crate in no time ;-) ;-)

Di

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Sorry sarah, was writing at the same time. Shows its horses for courses this puppy lark ;-)

Di

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Gillie has a small bowl clipped to the side of his crate and we only half fill it (he is never in for over 3 hours) He has never knocked it over and never peed in his crate. I prefer to think he can have a small drink if he wants one.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have never left water in over night or through the day as i am never out that long to do so, however my work shift will be changing shortly so my baby might have to be left a little longer on his own ( no more than 4 hours at a time), but with the wether being warm i thought he might get thirsty so was just wondering about the drinking bottle?

·
Registered
501 Posts
We were wondering about a drink bottle when Buddy started tipping up his water bowl when left in his crate during the day (he's fine at night and never tips it up) but got the advice that he'd be fine without water for just a few hours during the day, even if it's warm. We just make sure he has a drink before he goes into his crate for a nap. He's always been fine, even on the really hot days.

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
but with the wether being warm i thought he might get thirsty so was just wondering about the drinking bottle?
That's exactly why i've started, but Nellie has never had a crate accident so I think i'm safe to do so.

There's nothing like your pup saying the quickest hello and then running to the water bowl to make you feel mean!
Our whole downstairs is sooo hot at the moment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts