Labradors Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wash bag for the washing machine.
I am sure I seen a thread about it but, can't find anything.

I am planning to wash my new vet bed for the first time before use and wondered if it's best putting it in a wash bag or something ? I currently don't have one but would a pillow case do?

How do you wash things. I don't really fancy fluff and hairs bunked up in the machine but on the other hand how does it actual wash if it's in a bag?

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Used to wash my boxing wraps in one. Does come in handy.

Wash bags that I have are net, so stuff like that would pass through anyway.

I just pop vetbed in the washer and then use some paper towel to mop up the hairs after.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.. I was looking at something like that Pet Wash Bag on amazon but couldn't quite grasp how hairs etc would loosen if it's all zipped up.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Well it does let the water in and when I finish the wash I go outside and shake the bag inside out. I've never found a way of completely ridding blankets & bedding of hair, I've just learned to put up with it! I did notice though, when I went on Amazon to post the link that there is some ball thing you can put in to catch hairs...hmmm....

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those lint fluff ball catchers don't have all that good reviews.

In the meantime though; I don't have a wash bag so In order for me to wash the vet bed for the first time without it; what can I do to prevent a fluffy washing machine?

Or do I really need to wash it before it's first use?

Thanks.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hm, I think I would try a pillow case as you say, and just be prepared to give the drum a good wipe afterwards. Good luck!

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
I have a rubber brush that I use to get most of the hairs off first and then just wash as normal. Hoover out the drum when done.

Shake when it comes out and then tumble drier :)

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
I have one of the very large wash bags and the vet bed comes out as clean as if it had been washed loose. I always wash vet bed before using it although never use fabric conditioner.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have a huge washbag from Amazon too. After some experimenting I now also use a rubber brush first to at least try to get some of the hair off, then wash, then I tumble dry out of the bag and then hoover the tumble dryer out. My husband just looks on with a frown , but so far we've not had dog haired people clothes come out of the dryer :) I've given up trying to completely free the bedding of hairs, I think whoever invents some cheap gadget that can do that will be on to a winner..

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
Vet bed doesn't generally lose fluff - or at least mine hasn't. Once it has been used though the dog hair sticks to it and that gets all over the washing machine. I just wash in the washer then leave the door open for the drum to dry, the hair comes off a lot easier once dry. The tumble dryer takes lots of hair off and it is easily collected from the filter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts