Labradors Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I am planning on taking sonny at near 14weeks down to the beach soon.

Question is though.. I don't want to leave him sandy sea salt wet, so what's the best opitions to wash or rinse him when we get home?

Also, another related question ... In the off chance he drinks the sea water.. This is okay for him at that age?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I'd say a nice clear water rinse in the tub, no need for soap. Though if you have a shower, I personally would do it there (less slipping about and walk in and out.)

Do have a biiiiigggg towel to the ready :D

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I would hold off taking him to the beach until the weather improves, just because alot of rubbish, dead crabs etc will be getting washed up on the shore and you don't want to risk Sonny picking up something nasty....Puppies just can't resist sampling everything!!!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Pepper goes to the beach regularly and is always rinsed off afterwards. We live in Spain, so with the warmer weather, she get's taken out to the garden and is hosed down (spray)!

Hope you have fun! Take photos please!

Hannah & Pepper xx

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Don't let him drink the sea water. It doesn't have good consequences either end!!!

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
We walk on the beach most days, weather permitting. I tend to rinse the sand off their paws but wait until they are dry and brush the sand out of their coats. We've never had any itchy or dry skin. They soon learn not to drink the sea water. We have to watch that Merlin doesn't eat seaweed.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
When we go on holiday to the beach, we usually wait until we're back home to give Cooper a proper bath (with soap) as he tends to smell a bit fishy/doggy after a few days in/out the water.

I don't live near water, but with all the rain and mud these days, I 'like' to give him a quick shower when we get home as I find it easier than trying to scrape off half dried mud from him. I just rinse his legs and belly with the handheld shower and sometimes if the mud is very crusty I'll use a little johnson&johnsons baby shampoo on his belly. I don't soak him or wash him all over as I find it unnecessary and apparently it can cause dry skin or remove the natural protective oil from their coat.

Bring fresh water with you and encourage him to drink that instead of puddle/sea water as both have the potential to make the pup sick.

Be safe in this weather though!!!

·
Registered
588 Posts
After beach we walk home, he dries off - if sandy then a quick brush off when dry. We beach walk several days a week. I don't want a bathroom regularly full of wet dog hair & he's not a fan of the garden hose in winter. I bought a Trixie drying coat recently but "L" size came up a bit too small. I plan to get an "XL" soon.

He suffers from a bit of neck irritation, (improving thanks to Aloe Vera). I ensure collar is removed once home. His collar is Neoprene which dries quicker than others. I slackened it off a bit yesterday to further reduce irritation........able to slip fingers into it to grab dog in water if needed.

Beach scavenging can be an issue but risk of this can be avoided depending where you walk relative to tide mark &/or time of tides.

Ensure you either take own water with you or you know where the public access taps are......Our dog will willingly drink from freshwater taps if available.

Be mindful of tides, wave height and currents. If tide is on the change from high to going out for example their can be a very strong pull outwards. Yesterday we walked 1.5 miles to allow him to water retrieve in a safer area. To some extent mine seems to read the water, angling his body &/or timing his entry between waves.

He seems to have reduced taking in salt water.......I spoke to one Lab owner whose car was from decorated by their dog's backside after high salt water intake following a morning at the beach !

Golden rule for me is I don't put the dog in unless confident in his relative ability & only in water I would enter & have chance of successfully operating in if needed, (N.B. Sea temps on south coast still warmer than many other areas).

Please Please be careful especially at the moment due to the severe weather. If in doubt keep the dog out of the water. Mine won't be in the sea this afternoon for sure - even though he can probably swim better than me now !

Apologies for being a bit of a Beach Bore :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
I live by the sea so go on the beach with Molly most days (and did with my previous dogs). I don't bath or wash her - just give her a good rub with a towel and then brush when dry. I think I've been lucky as none of the dogs I've owned have drunk sea water.
Beach debris is another matter. Rolo, my last Lab, would be sick if he ate anything unusual. Molly seems to have a cast-iron constitution (perhaps being a cross-breed) and has gulped down all sorts of items, including mussels, with no ill effects. I guess you give it a try and see how your individual dog reacts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts