Labradors Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have Scooby & Rusti insured with More Than for £7000 for each new condition for life but having just got a new quote for Sunni, it seems they have changed their policy and are now asking for the policy excess PLUS 10% of the total vet bill for dogs under 9 years of age!

Please be aware of this - could end up very expensive and I certainly will be looking for an alternative insurer for Sunni.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
what!!!! shall certainly be checking my renewal stuff when it comes thru. coal will have to stay with them but i could move finn if i needed to.

did i miss something.... sunni?????????????????????????

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You might be alright Sam, they may have to offer the same policy to you if its already an existing one, but do double check about the extra 10% on vet bills.

Oh yes, you have definitely missed something - Sunni is our new addition! 8O

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Thanks for the warning, got four of mine insured with More Than - although TBH - if they are doing it, guaranteed some of the other insurers are too (or soon will be).

I am more than likely to be stuck with mine because quite a lot of the high street insurers will not insure dogs used for showing and breeding and no-one has been able to compete so far on price.

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not 100% sure but I think the original policy that you have taken out with More Than should stand the same at renewal, as long as you continue with it, but do check. Scoob's renewal was at the end of May 2009 and the excess has stayed at £70 with nothing else further to pay. Rusti's insurance was from 27/03/09, a new policy but excess at £70 and no percentage of vet fees.

G

·
Oh Poo! :roll:

I was just about to get Pickle covered with More Than, as both other dogs are with them. Now I guess I'll have to shop around <sigh>. I HATE Insurance Shopping :evil: .

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Thank Nikki will keep an eye out on my next renewal

·
Registered
216 Posts
Are you sure the % applies to under 9? i know most apply it for 9 and over (and its included in the wording so they dont have to send seperate ones out :)

I may have to go have a nose at the more than website :)

G

·
I've had a nosey......Yes it has now changed and NEW policies have a 10% plus £70 excess on them, whereas exisiting policies are just the £70.

However I know when I claimed for Mojo's elbows I had to pay a percentage of the costs because it went over and above the £70 excess. I can't remember what percentage I had to pay now though, so I'll have to have a rummage about to find out.

Premiums appear to be cheaper now though....I pay £21.74 PCM for Mojo (had claims for her though), £17.90 for Pood.....and I was just quoted £16.34 for Pickle. :?

I find insurance a complete enigma :roll: .

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Blimin crafty if you ask me, I got my quote over the phone and there was no mention of having to pay 10% vet fees, I was just told of the £70 excess.

Will now have to shop around again as I won't be insuring Sunni with More Than.

G

·
Hmmm..... I'm wondering if the £70 only excess policies were some sort of mistake or temporary measure to attract customers.

I dug out Mojos policy docs and her current one says excess is £70...that's it, nothing else. Now I know when I claimed I had to pay either £70 OR a percentage (I think it was 10 or 15%) whichever was the greater. I had to pay the vet direct myself and the cheque I received back was minus the percentage (because it came to well over £70). So it looks as if they changed it after that to a standard £70 excess, probably because at the time there were some companies offering a Zero Excess Policy for a similar premium. However now those companies have added an Excess and upped their premiums, so More Than have gone back to a similar system they had before.

I guess as Sue said, they all do similar things within their policies, so if one is making money this way the others will either follow suit or find some other way of making a profit (because that is what any Business is about after all).

I think I shall be sticking with More Than, as at least in the past I have had no problems claiming and they have paid out promptly....and sometimes it's just Better the Devil You Know. :|

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Took Milo's More Than insurance 3 years ago but just dug out my last renewal Dec 08 and it says...under 9 £70 excess only, over 9 £70 + 20% of the rest of the cost of treatment 8O ....looking at the 07 renewal it doesn't mention any about excesson the policy schedule...maybe Iought to make a phone call :(

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
My sister just insured her dog with more than and its 90 exces plus 10 % of the total vet bill...she's cancelling and going to direct line who offer pretty much the same. I use direct line and always will.

·
Premium Member
14,224 Posts
More Than aren't the only company doing this...

And Nikki isn;t right that once you ahve a policy with a company they can;t change the excess payable - they can and do. The company I initially insured Bramble with had a good policy - £7,000 a year for life and £70 excess.... When it came to the renewal it changed - to £80 excess PLUS a percentage of the total bill.... can't now remember what the percentage was as too much has happened...

Silly me got the renewal looked at it and all seemed fine - BECAUSE they never mentioned the little change they were making - they sneaked it in on the certificate which followed on renewal. I didn;t check the certificate because at the time I was having problems with Dad and trying to deal with that and didnt think it was necesary. So when I came to do the filing, I had a very big shock.

One row later, the insurance was cancelled and I went with another company....

Eve Neo and Bramble

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Another word of warning- this is with More Than ,but, may be with other companies too. My friend was insured with them, paid monthly, dog became ill and died after about six months and they refused to pay vets fee until the entire years amount was paid as they had just started a new year. So even after coughing up quite a few years of claim free policy, they still wanted their pound of flesh. No thought of grieving owners. It was just PAY UP!
Sherry

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
_Jules_ said:
and sometimes it's just Better the Devil You Know. :|
Very much so Jules - and touch wood, although I haven't had a claim yet, WOM from others on dealing with them is a good guide - plus, not everyone will take on breeding / show dogs - and it is STILL cheaper than forking out a few thousand + if surgery is required.

Another thought

It isn't the company but the insurance underwriters that set the terms of the policiees (More Than & M&S are the same underwriter) - but I would almost bet my bottom dollar it is someone's job to trawl the web and look for customer opinion :wink:

G

·
Blypark said:
paid monthly, dog became ill and died after about six months and they refused to pay vets fee until the entire years amount was paid as they had just started a new year.
I just read through the details and this is what it says.

This Policy is an Annual Contract. If your pet dies, is put to sleep, or is stolen/strays and you make a claim, it is a condition that you pay the full annual premium. If you are paying the full annual premium by monthly instalments, we are required to deduct from settlement any remaining premium to make up the full 12 instalments for that Policy Year.

I would hazard a guess most Pet Insurances are much the same where monthly payments are concerned, although this doesn't excuse them being rude about asking for their full premium amount.

I shall be ringing them to discuss the change in Excess amounts, as I have two policies with them already, which at the moment are set at a flat £70 excess and I would like to see if I can get Pickle's policy the same, if I can. As Eve said though, I know they DO change the Excess amounts without highlighting the fact, as they have already done this, albeit in my favour, within Mojo's policy.

Sue.....Quick question.... Are all your dogs on seperate Policies, or do More Than do a Multi Dog Policy now?

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Thanks for the warning :wink:

Bailey's insurance (currently with Axa) is due for renewal soon and I will probably shop around again if Axa put their prices up, it is hard work choosing a policy 8O

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
_Jules_ said:
Sue.....Quick question.... Are all your dogs on seperate Policies, or do More Than do a Multi Dog Policy now?
Hi Jules - sorry for the delay in getting back to you - they are all on separate policies, but I got an online discount (20% I think) - even though I had to activate the additional ones by phone, plus an additional 5% on the second and subsequent dogs.

Hally for some insane reason I have left with M&S - touch wood, I have never made a claim, but she is getting to the age now (bus pass in March :wink: ) where I guess the likelihood may increase - so really it would make sense to see if More Than could do her cheaper - her increase this year made a bit (not too major) of an impact on my overall premiums - the others have remained roughly the same with More Than.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts