Labradors Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fake UGG Boots..........I had posted this on another thread re boots but have edited and split the topic so as to avoid the subject matter here causing other thread to go off topic.

Not perfect myself.....Like many I eat meat, (not always outdoor reared), wear and sit on leather products and have eaten eggs from caged hens in past.

Recently had my attention drawn to the subject of animal products in certain boots by a close family member who had been made aware of alleged issues with certain fake UGG boots...........Some might find the following of interest - especially if they buy fake UGG's

UPSETTING BUT NOT VISUALLY GRAPHIC Link to Daily Mail article, (arguably somewhat dramatically titled) , The Dog's Dying for your fake UGG Boots can be read if you click here

Once again not perfect myself despite not having fake UGG's in the house.

If nothing else I will go into 2014 with my head slightly head in the sand less with regard to where certain animal based products might originate from.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The following link is to an article on the PETA website (People For The Ethical Treatment of Animals)

It specifically gives information re alleged conduct of Chinese Fur Farms.

The written content is extremely disturbing to read but nothing prepared me for the video within that link and which has to be clicked on seperately to open.

I just watched the short video within the last five minutes : It is extremely graphic and shows a Raccoon skinned alive. I was not expecting to see that the poor animal looks so distressed yet resigned to it's fate.

I cannot recall the last time I watched animal related footage and felt so distressed. I am an often stern faced bloke.......In my life I have had to face and deal with a multitude of extremely disturbing and visually shocking situations, however watching this made me feel extremely sad, near moved to tears , near physically sick and genuinely angry .

My wife and eldest daughter are in the next room I WILL NOT be showing them the video. I would expect my daughter to be physically sick and have nightmares from viewing it.

FURTHER WARNING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...... DO NOT CLICK ON THE GRAPHIC AND DISTURBING VIDEO UNLESS PREPARED TO BE SIGNIFICANTLY EMOTIONALLY AND PSYCHOLOGICALLY AFFECTED BY IT.

Link to article with video on additional link therein is on this clicky

·
Administrator
20,503 Posts
ANYTHING to do with PETA i treat with a pinch of salt! A more evil organisation when it comes to dogs I dont know. I would not support anything which they had a hand in, EVER, because you will never know whether it's truth or spin! :evil: They are far worse than the RSPCA, and thats saying something. One of their avowed aim is to stop dogs being kept as pets.

Regards John

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Thank you for posting, Coaster. I'm very careful about what I buy and I'm not going to traumatise myself by looking at the links, but I appreciate you sharing the information. The more people who are aware of the cruelty that occurs and are enabled to make more compassionate choices, the better.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
John,..........................,

The First link I posted is a Daily Mail article that mentions findings from analysis of animal materials used in some fake boots. I have no reason to disbelieve the author albeit I cannot verify content of the mainstream media based article.

The link in my 2nd post is from PETA & was found by me after I started this topic.

I welcome constructive debate, (side issue but I would be interested to see any PETA statement that Dogs should not be Pets).

I have no association with PETA, however, I have zero doubt as to what I viewed. Regardless of individual views re PETA I consider that footage as real. Even if spin was involved, (I have no reason to think this is so), I cannot think of any single context in which the video content would be a "Taken with a Pinch of Salt"

Angela - Glad this thread of some use/interest

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I have read about the fake Ugg boots before and in the past i have bought fake ones as i just can't justify spending so much on the real things. I have to say though since i read about the fakes ones i have stopped buying them. I have been trying to be more careful about what i buy and trying to make sure things i buy are not tested on animals and are animal friendly.

John it's funny you should make those comments about PETA. A while ago i liked their facebook page as i thought they were an organisation with animals best interest at heart. However i soon unliked it as most of their posts seemed to be always revolving around having a go at someone or other with no credible evidence to support their posts. I never knew they were also trying to stop dogs from being kept as pets. :(

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
.....Unless John or others can clarify otherwise then I will fall back on the following text link by PETA re their current stance - link here

Some of the PETA comments don't mirror my views but are somewhat removed from any alleged stance that people should not keep pet dogs. Comments on over population can't be dismissed relative to the massive number of dogs that are abandoned & /or PTS annually.

Some may remain happy with future purchase choices of questionable origin fur products albeit I suspect it may be those that haven't seen all content in the above links. FOR THOSE WHO DEFINITELY WON'T I SUGGEST YOU SAVE YOURSELF TRAUMA AND DO NOT VIEW IT .....(Some time after my above postings today my daughter indicated she viewed similar graphic footage a while ago...adding she cried uncontrolably for half an hour afterwards).

I have zero intention of becoming an extreme animal rights activist & whilst not dismissive of side topics I hope the focus here will remain on the subject topic. relating to alleged associated animal cruelty concerns, (despite me now thinking of wider but similar issues).

·
Administrator
20,503 Posts
Taken directly from PETA own website:-

"we believe that it would have been in the animals’ best interests if the institution of “pet keeping”—i.e., breeding animals to be kept and regarded as “pets”—never existed"

Then there is this:-

PETA Refuses to Close Pet Shelter of Horrors, Kills 89.4 Percent of Adoptable Dogs and Cats in its Care During 2012.

Despite its $36 million budget, PETA employees make little effort to find homes for the thousands of animals they kill every year. PETA President Ingrid Newkirk previously indicated to The Virginian-Pilot that the animal rights group could stop killing pets, but it would mean cutting down on press stunts and celebrity photo shoots: “We could become a no-kill shelter immediately. It means we wouldn't do as much work."

As I said, an evil organisation, no friend of dog people.

Regards, John

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
........I took comments in context to highlight a view that on balance domestication has done more harm than good... I cant comment on PTS stats for dogs in shelters.

The original article highlighting Raccoon Fur in fake UGG Boots has nothing to do with PETA.

For me, (regardless of source), clear footage of a conscious Raccoon being skinned alive cannot be taken with a pinch of salt !

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I haven't watched the video, I don't need to, just your description is sufficient. I think it's vital that people are aware of what they are buying so that hopefully their humanity will weight more in the balance than the desire for fake luxury goods.

Same goes for the food we eat... My husband once visited a chicken factory and it made him so sick that he has hardly eaten any since (last year) and when he does it's organic free range only.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts